Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Old 10-19-2015, 05:57 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 525 Likes on 281 Posts

the problem with letter classes is that you are NOT always racing cars with similar capabilities...

Use H as an example: there are RSAmerica/964's, 993's, Cayman S, 996 (early), 997, etc. running in the class, with all kinds of upgrades and such depending on if they are "Stock" in H or "Prepared"...select the right combination (through sometimes trial and error while spending a bucket of money) and MAYBE you have a winning car, compared to the other types and models...maybe not.

In a spec class, supposedly everyone is running the same set ups. No guessing and throwing money at the unknown..

Think about it...some of the most popular classes are SPB, SP1/2/3 and Cups...which technically are spec classes too. Personally, I see huge upside to SPC but I also don't think it will hurt other classes...maybe SPB down the road. Its a step up in performance from SPB, but not as much a money pit as many of the other classes, so I see it attracting a new group of racers...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-20-2015, 08:20 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Perfect car to get a jump start on a spc build.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-race-car.html

I can see how people like the idea of a spec class but I think it would have been better with the 2.7l cars. There are already good classes to run the 3.4 (H and GTB1). Too many classes water down the competition.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
Perfect car to get a jump start on a spc build.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-race-car.html

I can see how people like the idea of a spec class but I think it would have been better with the 2.7l cars. There are already good classes to run the 3.4 (H and GTB1). Too many classes water down the competition.
It is possible that the smaller brakes on the 2.7 can't handle the heat generated by what is a very heavy car. This was our conclusion when working on CaymanSpec a number of years ago.

Cheers,
Old 10-20-2015, 10:14 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil
It is possible that the smaller brakes on the 2.7 can't handle the heat generated by what is a very heavy car. This was our conclusion when working on CaymanSpec a number of years ago.

Cheers,
Exactly. My car is Prepared I, and not stock H, for three reasons - big brakes up front, chip for more horsepower, and wing. I could lose the wing and chip and be fine with it. I wouldn't want to drive the car without the big brakes.

If there is no one around in H or I anymore I'll just put a GTB1 sticker on my car and have fun at the back of the pack. No more podium stickers for me!
Old 10-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

In regions where the letter classes aren't popular (like the entire west coast) a spec class provides an easier entry, and easy crossover between clubs. Seems like a lot of people just want to drive. They don't know the tech, they don't care to know it. They don't want to optimize to a rulebook or pay a shop to. Spec classes appeal to these folks. Just look at the popularity of Boxster spec. Lots of new racers getting their start in Boxster spec. People like simple, or at least the perception of simple.

I'm driving an 06 Cayman S this week and it's a lot of fun. Seems like it would be very easy to drive fast compared to the air cooled car I race. Now that early Cayman S's can be found in the low 20s it opens it up for a lot more people to start racing them. My father, who never really showed much interest in racing a Boxster, has mentioned building a Cayman a few times now. I think the interest is there, we'll see if it gains momentum.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:23 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty excited about this class and hope to build 2-3 customer cars to compete.

I created a FB page for anyone interested:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/409019769296759/

Also I sent a letter in with feedback, as follows:
Hello,

I'm a professional racer and also a shop owner. We have a lot of customers who currently do SCCA events that are interested in doing PCA Club Racing events.

I am the chairman for the rules committee with SCCA for Spec Miata (the largest SCCA class in the country), so I understand the difficulties in creating rules to minimize costs and maximize competition, even among cars that are not 100% equal. I firmly believe in spec classes. Good job so far keeping things balanced!

The Spec Cayman class sounds like a very good opportunity for PCA, and appears to allow some crossover to SCCA's T2 class with the 2006-2009 Cayman. I am VERY interested in building several of these SPC cars as long as there is enough crossover between PCA/SCCA rules to make it feasible.

Here's a link to the SCCA rules (see chart page 883 and class rules page 863+)
http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1440512722

SUMMARY:
-Tires are spec'd at 255 front / 315 rear (any brand, for PCA I would recommend Hoosier or Toyo depending on who will offer the best contingency program).
-Rims 18x9 front and 18x10 rear.
-Weight 3000# (with driver).
-Ducting for coolers is free, provided it doesn’t change size and/or shape of factory body panels.
-Springs up to 800#/in front and 1000 #/in rear allowed.
-Ducting of air to rotors is allowed. Removal of rotor dust shields is allowed.
-Sway bar size and configuration is free
-Spoilers & bumper/airdams are free provided they do not exceed the max. body width by any amount and/or the max. body length by more than 1”.
-Rear wings may be no higher, relative to the roofline, than a factory, non-extended, 3.8 RSR wing.
-Camber adjustment slots may be elongated.
-Porsche Motorsport rear control arms allowed.
-A maximum of 3.0 degrees of negative chamber is allowed on front and rear suspensions
-Min ride height 3.75" to be measured without driver at the lowest point of the rocker panel, but not to include welded seams or fasteners.
-Air jacks are permitted.
- Any clutch disc and pressure plate of OEM diameter may be used, provided that they shall be bolted directly to an unmodified stock flywheel and is no lighter than 5% of the factory OEM clutch disc and pressure plate.

I also would recommend a plan to introduce the 2009-2012 Cayman into the class in a year or so, to build the size of the field. Include a weight penalty and also a weight penalty for PDK cars. SCCA already addresses this (see page 884).

If you have any questions or need additional information, I would be happy to help. Looking forward to the final ruleset so we can get started on a build.

Sincerely,

Todd Lamb
www.atlspeedwerks.com
shop 404.996.4100

Atlanta Speedwerks
2630 Northgate Ave
Suite A
Cumming, GA 30041

Driver coaching // Race prep // Trackside support
Old 10-20-2015, 03:29 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Would love to hear anyone's feedback on my letter and/or what other items need to be addressed in the rules.

Any interest in the SCCA T2 crossover?
Old 10-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Your rules are significantly looser than what the PCA has proposed (bodywork, swaybars, etc). Here's their rules:

2. A NEW CLASS FOR 2016: Spec Cayman or SPC

PCA Club Racing announces A NEW CLASS FOR 2016: Spec Cayman or SPC. This class is for the 2006-8 Cayman S, and is structured for performance to fit between SPB and GTB1, drawing heavily on the language and approach from the current SPB and SP996 rules. Its base is a stock engine, stock 6 speed transmission with optional limited slip, and stock bodywork with allowance for the Cayman Aerokit splitter and wing (which is the same as the R wing). Allowed suspension modifications balance handling against cost. Still to be settled will be the spec tire. Testing will follow selection of the tire so the custom JRZ shock valving and spring package can be determined. Racers may send comments to crrules@pca.org through November 1, 2015

SPC Class Rules and SPC Eligible Models

This class is open to 2006 through 2008 Cayman S (3.4 liter) cars. As long as the proper S engine and transmission are installed, the non-S (2.9 liter model) chassis from 2007 and 2008 may be used. Modifications to the street version, as delivered in the United States or Canada for initial sale, are allowed only where specified below. The inclusion of prohibitions on certain modifications is to avoid self-serving interpretations, and may not be used to infer that what is not prohibited is allowed.

1. Engine

A. General. The mechanical and electrical components of the engine and transmission must remain stock and in their stock locations.

B. Cooling System. With the exception of the addition of a Tiptronic third radiator kit or a similarly vented and located third radiator, the cooling system must remain stock. Radiator fans may be direct wired with a switch, and one of them may be removed.

C. Oiling System. The factory oil and oil cooling system must remain stock, except an external oil cooler, an X-51 oil plate, an aftermarket sump extension or sump pan, a Porsche Motorsport oil/air separator, and an oil accumulator (e.g., Accusump) may be added.

D. Power Steering Cooling. Power steering fluid cooling is free, and a larger cooler is highly recommended.

E. Air Filter and Intake. No modifications to the factory engine air inlet or intake system. Drop in factory size/style replacement air filter elements are allowed. Non-stock cold air intake enhancements are not allowed.

F. Pulley/Belt System. An under drive crank pulley is allowed, with a minimum 4" diameter. No modification is allowed to: water pump, alternator, or power steering. The air conditioning pump may be disabled or removed. All must be operable and belt driven, but belt length is free.

G. Computer Engine Management System. The ECU and the flash of the computer
engine management system must remain stock, but may be dealer reflashed and the appropriate switch installed to include sport mode in cars without it.

H. Exhaust System. Exhaust manifolds must remain stock, but the tailpipe beyond the manifold assembly flange is free as long as the twin exhausts emerge in the stock location at the rear. Modifications can be made to exhaust sensors to prevent a check engine light from coming on as a result of exhaust changes.

I. Fuel and exhaust emissions control systems may be removed, blocked, or modified so long as no performance advantage (other than less weight) may be achieved in so doing.

J. The battery must be in the stock location and weigh a minimum of 10lbs.

K. Semi-solid engine mounts are allowed.

2. Suspension.

A. All suspension components not otherwise listed must be stock factory parts. Stock Cayman 2006-8 suspension parts may be used in lieu of permitted other parts. All suspension components must be mounted in the unmodified factory original mounting locations. Except where specifically noted or a part is listed as free, no solid bushings are allowed.

B. Shock Tower Braces. The welded-in cage may be connected longitudinally to the tops of the rear shock towers. No other modification of any shock tower is allowed nor are strut braces permitted.

C. Rear Subframe. A bolt-on cross tie bar connecting the rear suspension subframe sides is allowed.

D. Lower Control Arms. Porsche Factory shim adjustable front outer control arms for the 996 GT3 [PNs 996 341 121 90 and 996 341 122 90] are allowed front and rear. The inner mounts are free. Radius rod (thrust arm) rubber mounts for the rear suspension may be replaced with non-adjustable solid mounts with the attachment bolt centered.

E. Front radius rods (thrust arms) must be stock 986, 987, or street 996 parts. Spacers may be used to adapt stock 987 radius rods for use with the specified 996 control arms.

F. The rear toe (track bar) links are free, and may include bump steer adjustment.

G. Aftermarket locking plates may be used on all suspension adjustment eccentrics.

H. Springs and Shocks. Shocks and springs must be the JRZ 15S 001 987 S1 15 01 Package with OE or aftermarket monoball topmounts and linear springs as made for SPC [valving, spring, and tender spring rates TBD after testing]. Shock upper mounts are free (i.e., monoball style is allowed). Note: the "flat plate" non-raised style upper mount is needed to work with the specified JRZ shocks. All spring and shock systems must mount in the factory original locations.

I. Front sway bars may be stock, or 996 GT3 five way 27mm bars, or Tarett PN 997FSBK-GTS, or TPC 986/987 stage one. Rear sway bars may be stock, or Tarett PN 997RSBK-GTS, or TPC 986/987 stage one. The Club Race Rules Chair may approve sway bars of other manufacture as long as they mount in the stock locations and have spring rates which fall within the rates represented by the parts listed here.

J. Sway bar drop links are free.

K. Any ride height is allowed, as long as no part of the vehicle other than the tire patch touches the ground.

L. The stability management system may be altered by disconnecting or switching sensors.

3. Tires and Wheels

A. __[TBD]______________ is the primary spec tire. The required sizes are front [TBD]_____, rear _[TBD]_____._____[TBD]___________ are allowed as rain tires.__________________

B. 18” rims are required ([TBD]__” front/_[TBD]__” rear) or narrower. Wheel /tire combined weight must be equal or exceed 40 lbs. for fronts, and 46 lbs. for rears.

C. Steel bolts or lug nuts are required. Hubs may be converted to studs in place of wheel bolts.

D. The tread at the top of the tire may not extend out beyond the fender arch above it.

4. Brakes

A. Brake pads are unrestricted. Insulating and heat dissipating backing plates are allowed.

B. Steel braided brake lines are allowed.

C. Brake dust guards may be removed. Ducts, scoops, deflectors, vanes, block-off plates, and other systems within the bodywork to direct cooling air to the brake rotors are allowed.

D. Brake cooling systems are allowed, provided they use only air. Additional
bodywork openings for brake cooling air are not allowed for brake cooling. Modifications to existing air channels inside the bodywork to duct air for brake cooling are allowed.

E. Only one-piece stock or stock dimensioned replacement steel rotors may be used. Drilled and slotted rotors are allowed.

F. Brake calipers must remain completely stock and mount in the factory location.

G. The emergency brake, lever, cables, and all associated parts may be removed.
(Note that overall safety provisions of these rules allow certain modifications to the braking system to reduce issues caused by the ABS in a racing environment.)

5. Transmission

A. Transmission must be stock with no modifications. All gear ratios must remain stock. Ring and pinion ratio must remain stock.

B. A separate pump, cooler, and fittings for transmission cooling is allowed.

C. Clutch assembly and fly wheel may be stock, or be replaced with the Factory
replacement or Sachs 88-3082-999-754 clutch, Sachs clutch disc 88-1861-000-017 kits and lightened flywheel Aasco PN 106412-11or Clutch Masters FW-005-AL.

D. A mechanical limited slip differential is allowed.

E. Factory compatible short shift kits, shift risers, and alternate cables are allowed, but other modifications to the shifting action (e.g., sequential, paddle, blippers) are not.

F. Semi-solid transmission mounts are allowed.

6. Body/Chassis/Interior

A. Body

1) Air dams and bumper covers must be stock..

2) The rear bumper cover license plate area may be cut out to 27" wide by 7" tall maximum to deal with heat. There may be a tow hook hole of a maximum size of 6" x 3". The metal bumper behind the rear bumper cover may be removed, but if so must be replaced with a steel piece for chassis protection and tow hook attachment of approximately at least equal weight (i.e., this allowance may not be used to change the weight distribution of the car).

3) The factory Aerokit 987.1 splitter or a replica may be installed.

4) The front bumper must be located in the factory position and cannot be moved in any way.

5) The windshield may be replaced with polycarbonate (Lexan) of suitable thickness. The door windows may be removed. Quarter windows may be replaced with polycarbonate and vented to direct air in or out of the cockpit but not into the engine compartment.

6) License plates, license plate frames, license plate lights, and insignias and emblems may be removed.

7) Hood pins are recommended. Stock hood latches may be disabled or removed. Front and rear windshields may be secured with clips and straps.

8) All headlights and taillights must remain stock. Headlights may be covered.

9) The factory 987.1 Aerokit or Cayman R rear wing, or a replica, may be installed.

10) Grills to prevent entry of debris are allowed over all exterior openings.

11) There must be a stock exterior mirror on each side, and an interior mirror. The interior mirror is free.

B. Chassis.

1) Seam welding of the chassis is not allowed.

2) Roll cage members may not extend through a firewall,

3) Bolt-on tiedowns may be added.
(Note - the overall safety rules will be amended to allow a fuel cell mounted in the stock gas tank location)

C. Interior.

1) A passenger seat is allowed but not required.

2) The factory dashboard instrument pod must remain intact. Additional gauges may be added. Factory navigation systems, radios, entertainment systems, and airbags may be removed. The lower portion of the dashboard may be removed.

3) Steering wheels are free. Quick release steering hubs are allowed.

4) The steering wheel lock must be disabled or removed.

5) The air conditioning/heating system (including, without limitation, the heater core and its containing sheet metal) may be removed or disabled.

6) All interior items may be removed except where otherwise noted. All carpeting, trim, insulating or sound deadening material, and non-metal panels may be removed from the interior.

7) Doors may have window, lock, and interior latch mechanisms, and any other pieces held on with fasteners removed, but must retain all of the metal perimeter frame, hinges, and door latch mechanism. The interior latch may be modified but must work. Factory door beams must remain intact unless two cage door bars are installed for that door. If NASCAR style door bars are installed, the door perimeter frame may be modified, but only as much as is needed to fit the door bars.

8) Data Acquisition and in-car timing equipment is allowed.

9) Operational video is required for all sessions on track.

7. Weight

Minimum weight requirements in the Class Weight Tables must be met at all times. Minimum weight includes driver.
[Weight in the table to be 2,950 pounds (2,800+150 for driver).]
Old 10-20-2015, 03:59 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

yeah that's what I based my letter on....I was comparing and contrasting the T2 rules (see link to full SCCA ruleset) to work on something that would cross over between the two sanctioning bodies.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:58 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I personally prefer the stricter rules. It's one of the things I like about SPB, that I know I am driving relatively the same car as my competitors. Any rule that has the word 'open' in it is another source for people to dump money, thereby eroding the 'spec' designation.

As much as the ability to crossover to scca T2 could be beneficial, I would challenge PCA to stay closer to the proposed formula as it aligns with the thinking applied to both SPB and SP996. I for one not want to put wings big wings on the cars or end up with PDK and newer cars in class. That will just turn it into an arms race, which already exists in GTB1
Old 10-20-2015, 05:17 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm not sure there's much difference in the rules? A few things are stricter and a few things are more open. But generally the rules line up well enough to allow a few bolt-on items (such as a wing, tires, swaybars) to be swapped to cross over between SCCA/PCA.

The 2010-2012 would not be significantly different with a little weight/plate balancing. Isn't the difference 20-25hp? How much difference in the suspension?

I could go either way on the PDK but I do like the gentleman driver aspect of not being able to overrev on a rental car. Weight penalty for sure. 100#?

So a loaded question: I figured SPB would be a huge class when I started doing my research. Why are people not flocking to it as a cost effective, competitive class?
Old 10-20-2015, 05:34 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
I'm not sure there's much difference in the rules? A few things are stricter and a few things are more open. But generally the rules line up well enough to allow a few bolt-on items (such as a wing, tires, swaybars) to be swapped to cross over between SCCA/PCA.

The 2010-2012 would not be significantly different with a little weight/plate balancing. Isn't the difference 20-25hp? How much difference in the suspension?

I could go either way on the PDK but I do like the gentleman driver aspect of not being able to overrev on a rental car. Weight penalty for sure. 100#?

So a loaded question: I figured SPB would be a huge class when I started doing my research. Why are people not flocking to it as a cost effective, competitive class?
SPB is huge, depending on where you are in the country. In Texas, it's massive. 20-30 car fields. We are starting to see the same in the northeast. West coast is also growing.

It took a few years for it to take hold. I think once people saw how close the racing could be, they started to build cars. I personally know of about 10 builds going on right now in the Northeast so I expect in the northeast in the next year it will become one of the biggest class's in PCA club racing. I think what people expected to happen with the class is happening right now.

For me personally, I see to much between the two sets of rules. Whilst the proposed PCA rules will 'fit' in the scca rules, I still wouldn't cross over as I would a) have to spend time converting a car over between weekends (I already have enough to do to prep a car, I don't want more) and b) would also wonder if the scca specific cars are faster because they are running an 'expanded rules car' that might have better performance due to different springs, sway bars, body changes or aero. Nothing wrong with the scca rules, just the tighter rules allow for no questions that I am running the same basic car. It's one of the reasons SPB has worked so well.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:57 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

PM sent about SPB
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd - As far as tires I would look at BFG also. The price per tire is much cheaper than Hoosier with the same performance. especially if you buy them from the right dealer. Hint, Hint it's NOT TR. This would be important for those that aren't winning tires. To get a manufacturer interested in a contingency for your series, you need to start talking with them now, before the season starts. They won't come to you, you need to go to them!

Quick Reply: NEW SPEC CAYMAN CLASS SPC ?