Sponsored by:

helmet for DE days...what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:14 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts
Default helmet for DE days...what to look for

Not doubt this topic has been discussed before on RL, but RL's search isn't great for finding a dedicated thread on this topic....Helmets for DE track days...

Just beginning my DE/track career, but I like it and want to do more, so one of the first next steps is buying a helmet.

Besides great fit, which I understand is very important, what other features should I look for in a new helmet? Air flow, audio capabilities, other?

(I recognize helmets meeting the new standards [SA2015] are out now, and discounts on the previous standard [SA2010] are not great, so I'll probably get one that meets SA2015.)

Though I usually seek the best, I see no need now to spend much more than $400 or $500 (perhaps less). Am I off here?

Really looking forward to insights from the RL brain trust.

Thanks so much.

PS Fortunately I live not far from Stable Energies (who have been very helpful to me) and am heading to NJMP tomorrow for a two-day DE event.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:13 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Comfort
Old 10-14-2015, 06:46 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to our addiction.
Go see Joe (Stable Energies) who will get you set up right.
Yes, comfort and fit are very important, as is the size of the eye opening (especially if you wear glasses). Audio is nice but not necessary.
I would not recommend an open face helmet.
Have fun at NJMP.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Spend the money and buy a Stilo with the communication system. (if you plan on getting education on track days)
Old 10-14-2015, 08:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Fit
Comfort
Weight
Features

In that order
Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Fit
Comfort
Weight
Features

In that order
+1

Go see Joe at Stable.

Remember to try it on with a balaclava, which I recommend you use to keep the helmet clean. The balaclava can sometimes bump you up a size.

You also want to wear the helmet around the house a little to break it in. I learned this the hard way at Sebring this past January. Tight helmet was giving me a headache.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:44 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default SA2015 Helmets

We recommend going to the nearest helmet dealer to you if possible. Great idea to try on the helmets before buying. Note that brands fit specific head shapes too. We've had folks call and ask for a "medium" helmet as that's what they borrowed at the track, but a Bell medium fits larger than an Arai/Stilo/HJC helmet in medium.

Otherwise, feel free to call us for help - we can determine your head shape and what will work best for you. Our best sellers are the Bell Sport, Bell Sport EV and HJC AR10-II. The Bell SA2015's are being phased in and we've got some of them in stock but HJC SA2015's will not be available until early 2016.

Good luck!

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 10-15-2015, 11:05 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sharing my experience. I just bought a SA2010 helmet to replace my disgusting smelling SA2005. I opted for a helmet with a removable and machine washable interior. There may be others of this type, but the one I bought was a HJC Si-12R. (The R is the important part; HJC makes the same helmet without a removable interior). A company called PCI Race Radios makes ear cup speakers for this model helmet. I tried on a Si-12 for fit and size at a track weekend so I felt okay ordering online. I have only used it one track weekend thus far with the speakers. The speakers could be a bit louder when used with a chatterbox and I am not sure how when they will work in a loud car, but so far I like them a lot.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:29 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This is an interesting conversation as many of us, I think, will be replacing our helmets this year.

Unfortunately, not all of us have a access to stores with many models to try on.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:41 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default SA15 helmets orders via phone

Originally Posted by FFaust
This is an interesting conversation as many of us, I think, will be replacing our helmets this year.

Unfortunately, not all of us have a access to stores with many models to try on.
We can help assist those that call us for guidance and suggest the best model for your headshape, use and budget.

Quick Reply: helmet for DE days...what to look for