Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts
Default Dempsey Proton Racing Score First GTE-Am Win

Congrats to Pat, Patrick and Marco.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/d...te-am-at-fuji/

"History was made Sunday at Fuji Speedway, with Dempsey Proton Racing breaking through for GTE-Am class victory, marking the first career sports car win for Hollywood actor/racer Patrick Dempsey.

AF Corse’s Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander, meanwhile, took AF Corse and Ferrari to the class win in GTE-Pro in the rain-soaked sixth round of the FIA World Endurance Championship.

Dempsey, who jumped into the No. 77 Porsche 911 RSR for the closing 20 minutes to meet his minimum drive time, held off the No. 98 Aston Martin Vantage V8 of Paul Dalla Lana by 17.10 seconds at the end.

The German squad had a dominant run, with Dempsey completing the early rain-soaked stages after taking over from Patrick Long during the 40-minute full-course caution period, which the race started under.

It was, however, Marco Seefried that took the No. 77 Porsche to the class lead in the third hour and bridged out a one-lap advantage as part of a quadruple-stint on the same set of Michelin intermediates.

The No. 98 Aston Martin of Dalla Lana, Pedro Lamy and Mathias Lauda, which served a late-race penalty, was second, with the No. 83 AF Corse Ferrari completing the class podium.

The win was Dempsey’s first in his 10-year racing career and came on the heels of a podium finish in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and pole position at COTA for he and co-drivers Long and Seefried.

In GTE-Pro, defending class champions Bruni and Vilander broke a four-race winless streak, following a battle with the pair of factory Porsche 911 RSRs.

A decision by Vilander, who drove a marathon three-hour opening stint, to switch from intermediates to slicks, however, proved to be the key, with Bruni taking the lead and eventual class win.

Bruni crossed the line one lap ahead of the No. 92 Porsche Team Manthey entry of Patrick Pilet, who enjoyed a hard-fought battle with the sister No. 71 AF Corse Ferrari of James Calado.

Calado and co-driver Davide Rigon settled for third in class, with class championship leader Richard Lietz and Michael Christensen coming home fourth."
Old 10-11-2015, 08:55 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Most people do a great job of posting results without spoiling it for others.....
Old 10-11-2015, 09:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

That's really cool! I remember Patrick Dempsey coming to VIR almost a decade ago to test Freedom Autosport's ST Miatas and he was a sponge, even then... Great to see this.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Well we can't all be as smart as you Winders. Then again you gotta question why anyone worried about a spoiler alert would go anywhere near a competition-related website given this news was posted to virtually all of them shortly after the race ended.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Most people do a great job of posting results without spoiling it for others.....
Exactly.

**** move.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:44 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nizer
Well we can't all be as smart as you Winders. Then again you gotta question why anyone worried about a spoiler alert would go anywhere near a competition-related website given this news was posted to virtually all of them shortly after the race ended.
This has nothing to do with intelligence....but I think you are intelligent enough to know that.

I avoid all of the motorsport news sites if an event has finished but I have not seen it yet. The only reason I come here after any motorsport event is because the posters here are typically incredibly good about not spoiling it for those that have yet to watch the event. One would hope you could do the same.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That's really cool! I remember Patrick Dempsey coming to VIR almost a decade ago to test Freedom Autosport's ST Miatas and he was a sponge, even then... Great to see this.
Indeed. And he drove a Miata! Also a testament to all the work and skill Pat Long has applied in bringing Patrick up the learning curve. Great racer, excellent coach, and stellar guy.

Mods: feel free to change the title - I can't. Wasn't broadcast anywhere that I could find so assumed it was a non-issue to give a shout out to the two Patricks.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:02 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Thx for posting.

Miata, who woulda thought?

Scott - stop being a douche.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:05 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Indeed. And he drove a Miata! Also a testament to all the work and skill Pat Long has applied in bringing Patrick up the learning curve. Great racer, excellent coach, and stellar guy.

Mods: feel free to change the title - I can't. Wasn't broadcast anywhere that I could find so assumed it was a non-issue to give a shout out to the two Patricks.
It was broadcast live, in it's entirety, on Fox Sports 2, 10-10-2015, 10:00 pm to 4:00 am EDT
Old 10-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
It was broadcast live, in it's entirety, on Fox Sports 2, 10-10-2015, 10:00 pm to 4:00 am EDT
I believe what you meant to say was that it was streamed live to your computer on FS2. It wasn't broadcast live to any TV/cable channel that I could find.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:33 PM
winders
Race Car

Fox Sports 2 is channel 618 on DirecTV.....
Old 10-15-2015, 01:47 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

It's Channel 401 on Time Warner Cable in New York's Hudson Valley.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Apparently another Xfinity fail just like Universal Sports...
Old 10-28-2015, 02:17 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I have heard of this Dempsey fellow.

Quick Reply: Dempsey Proton Racing Score First GTE-Am Win