Sponsored by:

PCA Spec Cayman? Any info?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:17 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCA Spec Cayman? Any info?

Saw the proposed 2016 rules and they included a blurb about a Spec Cayman class in PCA. Anybody have any further information?
Old 08-31-2015, 04:40 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

From what I know its for 2006-2008 Cayman S cars. My understanding is JRZ coilovers and a mechanical diff are part of the spec. No word on the tire, but I am hoping something sticky.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:56 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

So are we talking about just taking the Spec Boxster rules and applying them to the Cayman S? Wing like a spec 996 or anything?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Thats the concept I believe. I dont believe aero will be added to the cars. GTB1 is for aero enhanced caymans.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:48 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Not sure I get the purpose of this. If you want to drive faster in a spec car, why not spec 996? Or, perhaps even a super-spec box series with the early boxster S cars. Boxster S is cheaper and only marginally less HP/weight vs. the cayman spec. You could add a wing, diff, better shocks and stickier tires and the boxster s would be a pretty fast car for those that want something faster than a spec boxster, but not quite as fast or expensive as a spec 996, but still somewhat reasonable in terms of cost of entry and running costs. early boxster s's can be had in the mid to low teens... you're still looking at close to $30K for a gen 1 donor cayman, not to mention that body panels are interchangeable between early boxsters and boxster s cars. Body panels for caymans are much more expensive and much more difficult to find on the used market. I just don't agree with the continued pattern of diluting the PCA fields with ever-more classes.

Personally, I'd like to see spec boxster and spec 996 gain some momentum on the east coast before introducing more spec classes, especially one so close to an existing class in terms of cost and speed (namely, spec 996). This will only dilute the pool of potential drivers in each class.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Agree, Glen
Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Not sure I get the purpose of this. If you want to drive faster in a spec car, why not spec 996? Or, perhaps even a super-spec box series with the early boxster S cars. Boxster S is cheaper and only marginally less HP/weight vs. the cayman spec. You could add a wing, diff, better shocks and stickier tires and the boxster s would be a pretty fast car for those that want something faster than a spec boxster, but not quite as fast or expensive as a spec 996, but still somewhat reasonable in terms of cost of entry and running costs. early boxster s's can be had in the mid to low teens... you're still looking at close to $30K for a gen 1 donor cayman, not to mention that body panels are interchangeable between early boxsters and boxster s cars. Body panels for caymans are much more expensive and much more difficult to find on the used market. I just don't agree with the continued pattern of diluting the PCA fields with ever-more classes.

Personally, I'd like to see spec boxster and spec 996 gain some momentum on the east coast before introducing more spec classes, especially one so close to an existing class in terms of cost and speed (namely, spec 996). This will only dilute the pool of potential drivers in each class.
I second this - make it for Gen 2 cayman lower spec than interseries/GBT1 otherwise this will cannibalize these other classes
Old 08-31-2015, 07:58 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

If Spec 996 takes off I'm in. Just enough power to have some fun with a little bit of cost containment. With all the BS I read on the 996 forum about the IMS issue and all the other 996's faults very few of us who raced them ever had a catastrophic failure like the street cars supposedly have and if they did it was after the motor was getting tired. Maybe that fear has carried over to racing and the reason it hasn't taken off ?

For now I guess I'll just run spec 996 cup
Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I think the Super-Spec Boxster is a great idea Glen! SSB! Same spec as SPB except built on a Boxster S. Can add a little weight to compensate for changes in HP over the years (was there an increase?) You heard it here folks, and all from a gimp!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:11 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cayman Spec Class

I believe the reference is for the new Cayman Gt-4 club racer. As I understand it if you get a car you must commit to running in 5-6 pre determined races, (Sebring, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, VIR, Road America are being considered) These cars will have their own run group and their own class.
Charlie
Old 08-31-2015, 09:23 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks gary... But the gimp in my avatar is yonker, not me. Only reason i won sprint 1 at njmp on sat... That and some oil that took out moller, hunt, and gibbons.... And a pace car mishap. But a win is a win, and i'll take it (not having won an spb race in over a year)
Old 08-31-2015, 09:50 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

I personally love the idea. I had thought about Spec 996, but it didn't take off in the Northeast as well and I think people find the cars expensive to build (although I dont get that as its similar to a SPB). Plus, I like running a mid engined car, which a Spec 996 is not. I would love to have a real roof over my head, a bit more power and grip but still be mid engined, unlike Spec 996. Since PCA mentioned it I have been keeping my eye out for a car and regularly see 2006 and 2007 cars for low $20's. It is Super Spec Boxster, but gives the Cayman guys a place to have fun to.

Spec class's are the way of the future. They help contain the cost for those that want to race and not focus on whats in the car so much. I expect that over the next few years all Spec classes will grow as other more traditional classes fade out
Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Thanks gary... But the gimp in my avatar is yonker, not me. Only reason i won sprint 1 at njmp on sat... That and some oil that took out moller, hunt, and gibbons.... And a pace car mishap. But a win is a win, and i'll take it (not having won an spb race in over a year)
A win is a win. And you backed it up with fastest lap in Sprint 2 for Pole in Sprint 3.

I love the way SPB has such racing that everyone has a chance.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by chas911
I believe the reference is for the new Cayman Gt-4 club racer. As I understand it if you get a car you must commit to running in 5-6 pre determined races, (Sebring, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, VIR, Road America are being considered) These cars will have their own run group and their own class.
Charlie
Really? I don't see that happening in PCA, considering the tightness of the event schedules as is with the bigger races. Plus those GT4 Cup cars are destined for pro teams, aren't they?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:04 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

I was actually hoping it would be for the gen2 987 base caymans.

Quick Reply: PCA Spec Cayman? Any info?