Old 07-18-2015, 07:44 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shocks

Originally Posted by wellcoached
Let the rules people know please

crrules@pca.org
I emailed my response opposed to the change. Just removed my Aero this year on my 2001 Carrera Stock H. I've had my Moton 3 Ways since 2009. What's next taking back to stock ride height!😪
Old 07-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm just hoping the market gets flooded with lots of remote reservoir shocks I can get for cheap ...
Old 07-19-2015, 12:12 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts
Default PCA PROPOSED RULE NO REMOTE RES SHOX STOCK CLASSES

I am really upset. After running an increasingly uncompetitive 911 at 3100 pounds with a 3.6/x51 in gtb1. I opted to rebuild to 3.8 ( I had to rebuild anyway - engine way shot). And what else was I going to do? Sell a rolling chassis for not much more than the price of three way shocks? But What's the logic in turning my car into a rolling tank? Add another 100 pounds ? WTF??!

I'll take some responsibility for the 100 pound weight reduction for 3.6 911's. I had been suggesting this as a way to keep 911 in GTB1. I had been making the point that we were seeing the disappearance of 911's in gtb1. At least let them go lighter. That was my suggestion because I predicted that if they didn't do anything all there would be are older letter cars, caymans, boxsters and cup cars. Guess what? One 996 gtb1 competitor bought a cayman. Another sold his after buying a cup. Count the number of 911's in the last race and see where they placed.

You can buy a low hours 10 or 11 cup for far less than people are building cayman GTB1's for. This is Insanity. And soon there would be no iconic 911's

My suggestion was to allow to 3.6 911 to go lighter ( fiber doors hood and roof) in lieu of the disappearance of the 911. Reducing weight is not easy, but my suggestion was to do that as an alternative to late model 911's all but vanishing from the field.

Me? My engine needed a total rebuild. I had it rebuilt to 3.8. Rebuilding again to 3.6 would have been a waste of money. Just finished. Just got the bill. What do I get? A 100 pound weight penalty. Crazy

Do they WANT anyone to run a 911????

Meantime. I see no logic in putting gen1, gen2 and now gen3 caymans together. All the guys who dumped their gen1 Caymans for gen2 are now screwed.

None of this makes any sense. Maybe nasa has it right.

But hey - they are willing to let people get rid of DOT approved baby seats. That's one positive

None of this make sense (cept for the baby seats)

Last edited by dan212; 07-19-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:07 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
Sachs makes a 4 way adjustable through rod shock that doesn't have a remote reservoir. They cost a lot more than 5K a set and would still be legal because they aren't remote reservoir. PCA would have to disallow all adjustable shocks. Teams would then just have multiple sets of shocks with different valving. Someone will all ways find a way to spend money on what they feel would be an advantage. In the end it would end up costing people more.

If the argument is stock means stock, then what about aftermarket limited slips, wheels, dot "r" tires, adjustable sway bars, performance exhaust ect....... PCA stock classes are way too far along to make a dramatic change. If someone wanted to race their bone stock car with just the required safety equipment, perhaps they can run one class lower than the listed stock class.
^^^
This.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:09 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
This old premise that a guy (or gal) takes their street car to a DE and then progresses to club racing with only mandated mods (cut-off, extinguisher, roll bar, seat) is nonsense. I am sure someone has an example but I personally have not seen anyone in the last few years drive a car to a race and race it, much less race a car they drive on the street.

Too many ways around a shock rule with no remote res. All of which will be more expensive and time consuming and totally necessary to win.
Nobody said anything about driving your race car to the race, then driving it home. A lot of DE guys trailer to the event. These are the types of dedicated track guys that would take the step to club racing.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:03 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Sachs makes a 4 way adjustable through rod shock that doesn't have a remote reservoir. They cost a lot more than 5K a set and would still be legal because they aren't remote reservoir. PCA would have to disallow all adjustable shocks. Teams would then just have multiple sets of shocks with different valving. Someone will all ways find a way to spend money on what they feel would be an advantage. In the end it would end up costing people more.

If the argument is stock means stock, then what about aftermarket limited slips, wheels, dot "r" tires, adjustable sway bars, performance exhaust ect....... PCA stock classes are way too far along to make a dramatic change. If someone wanted to race their bone stock car with just the required safety equipment, perhaps they can run one class lower than the listed stock class.
Agreed. When this all started "stock" probably meant stock plus safety equipment, but we are way past that point. I think the real hang-up is the word "stock." Perhaps it should be changed to base or class I or something to eliminate the whole preconception around a stock car. Or the rules should be changed and written to say a stock car is a car as delivered from the factory plus safety equipment. Anything else progresses up the class structure.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:46 AM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I am really upset. After running an increasingly uncompetitive 911 at 3100 pounds with a 3.6/x51 in gtb1. I opted to rebuild to 3.8 ( I had to rebuild anyway - engine way shot). And what else was I going to do? Sell a rolling chassis for not much more than the price of three way shocks? But What's the logic in turning my car into a rolling tank? Add another 100 pounds ? WTF??!

I'll take some responsibility for the 100 pound weight reduction for 3.6 911's. I had been suggesting this as a way to keep 911 in GTB1. I had been making the point that we were seeing the disappearance of 911's in gtb1. At least let them go lighter. That was my suggestion because I predicted that if they didn't do anything all there would be are older letter cars, caymans, boxsters and cup cars. Guess what? One 996 gtb1 competitor bought a cayman. Another sold his after buying a cup. Count the number of 911's in the last race and see where they placed.

You can buy a low hours 10 or 11 cup for far less than people are building cayman GTB1's for. This is Insanity. And soon there would be no iconic 911's

My suggestion way to allow to 3.6 911 to go lighter ( fiber doors hood and roof) in lieu of the disappearance of the 911. Reducing weight is not easy, but my suggestion was to do that as an alternative to late model 911's all but vanishing from the field.

Me? My engine needed a total rebuild. I had it rebuilt to 3.8. Rebuilding again to 3.6 would have been a waste of money. Just finished. Just got the bill. What do I get? A 100 pound weight penalty. Crazy

Meantime. I see no logic in putting gen1, gen2 and now gen3 caymans together. All the guys who dumped their gen1 Caymans for gen2 are now screwed.

But hey - they are willing to let people get rid of DOT approved baby seats. That's one positive

None of this make sense (crept for the baby seats)
Reduce the minimum weight for 911s in GTB1 by 100 pounds, and increase the minimum weight of the Gen2 and later GTB1 Caymans by 100 pounds.

You get to lose 100
Gen 2 cayman add 100...
Old 07-19-2015, 08:24 AM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 3.8 x51

dan, as i read the rules and weight requirements the 3.8 x51 already carried a 100 lb addition . this put it at 3050 lbs . what is unclear to me is if the new rules want to add an additional 100lbs to 3150
Old 07-19-2015, 09:48 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212

My suggestion way to allow to 3.6 911 to go lighter ( fiber doors hood and roof) in lieu of the disappearance of the 911. Reducing weight is not easy, but my suggestion was to do that as an alternative to late model 911's all but vanishing from the field.

None of this make sense (crept for the baby seats)
I know this isn't shock related, but I don't understand the reason behind wanting to change gtb1. The3 rd gen caymans are listed at 200 pounds less than the 2nd gen so why should they be in the same class? Also I see no reason to add 100 pounds to the 2nd gen cayman. Just because that's the car that most are running in the class and are the most developed doesn't mean it deserves a penalty. IMO a 05-08 997 at 50 pounds heavier than a 6spd 2nd gen cayman or 50 lighter than a pdk is a better car to run. Much better rear suspension, bigger tires, more power and bolt on cup parts are available. No reason that car needs a weight break. I do like the rule on direct replacement bodywork being allowed. It gives the 1st gen caymans a chance to make minimum weight.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:01 PM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad to see so much discussion.

Perhaps a New thread for the Weight rules ?
Old 07-19-2015, 01:17 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Yup already 3050 right now.
The way I read it: Add another 100 pounds

Otherwise why say it? And I am pissed.

Originally Posted by cetom
dan, as i read the rules and weight requirements the 3.8 x51 already carried a 100 lb addition . this put it at 3050 lbs . what is unclear to me is if the new rules want to add an additional 100lbs to 3150
Old 07-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree...PCA has made so many allowances beyond what was originally conceived as stock. I can't see how they could possibly retract the allowance of remote reservoir shocks and yet still allow changes such as what Cory mentions above (& others).
PCA has already significantly, and perhaps irreversibly, redefined 'stock'. As my father-in-law often says..."you can't put the poop back in the horse". It might be better to change the name and not call these classes stock anymore - that might alleviate the heartburn that some have.
I will add that for PCA to cling to the passenger seat requirement in part because of the "...spirit of stock class racing..." (words of PCA race steward) is almost laughable given all of the things that are permitted.
I sold my F car...playing with Radicals & a Stohr right now...will probably come back to PCA in a GT or Spec class at some point.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 07-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

I wonder if Walt's inbox is up over 500 emails yet on this subject.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm one of the few people left with old timey shocks so it would be fine with me to see the Stock class shock rule fixed. However, I did not propose this rule change. And I'd rather not see all my E class racing buddies move to F class.

My guess it that PCA is putting this out there to settle it once and for all. And my guess is that nothing will change.

Someone who knows much more about this stuff than I do suggested this rule "adjustment:" Allow single and double adjustable (remote reservoir or not) in Stock, and make triple and quad adjustable a Prepared change.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:35 PM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
So what part of the word stock don't you understand?
Based on the above simplistic argument we should also run stock seats and seat belts, tires, brakes, etc.

Back in the early (earlier?) days of of PCA racing "Stock" meant shocks and sway bars were free. Meaning if you could bolt it to the stock mounting pointing points anything was allowed.

Then someone decided they didn't like driver adjustable sway bars. So I put a lock on my cockpit adjustable sway bars when I was on the track so they were not adjustable by the driver.

Then that was deemed insufficient and I had to move the sway bar adjusters so that the driver could not reach the bars from the driver seat.

So $1K+ later I was compliant and it didn't change sh*t. Once the bars were set for the weekend, they were never changed and my lap times were the same as they were with driver adjustable sway bars.

Now I need to take out my 2-year old Motons for even more expensive adjustable, but non-external reservoir shocks? This is just another example of a rule change that just adds expense with no (little?) effect on lap times.

There are bigger issues with Weight to Power ratios that determine if a car is competitive is class. But the rules committee was not interested in addressing that issue this year.

YADRCP (Yet Another Dumb Rule Change Proposal)

Greg

Quick Reply: PCA PROPOSED RULE NO REMOTE RES SHOX STOCK CLASSES