Sponsored by:

996 class?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Jtlong1234
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 class?

I have. Had a 996 for over a year now and want to get into club racing or WRL. I live in the rocky Mountian region, and it seems like the spec boxter is the favorite. I have done a lot of performance upgrades to my 996, and I am wondering if there is even a class I could race in if I went all the way. So is it spec
Boxter, or some class I am not framiliar with with my 996.
Upgrades include:
Evoms intake, IPD competition plennum, 82 mm throttle body, fabspeed exhaust, evoms stage II ecu flash, 997 brake ducts, and coilovers corner balanced to GT3 spec.
-thanks
Old 07-05-2015, 11:36 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Have a look at the PCA Club Racing Rule Book and you'll find out where your 996 would fit:

PCA Club Racing Rules

Yes, it takes a while to read through the document but as a racer YOU are responsible for your car to perform to the rules, so you might as well know what they are.

Other than the cage and safety equipment, you are looking at either the SP996 class in which case you will need to reverse some of you intake mods and the ECU flash or the Stock H or I Class in which case you will need to undo the same mods. There is also GTB1, but it's not a good beginner class.

My recommendation is to check the tracks that you want to race at and then check on the historic participation here. This will let you easily identify which classes are well represented and what cars are most competitive in each class.

Race Results
Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Blitz128
Instructor

You could consider a NASA class and NASA has a great Rocky Mountain region.... you car once equipped with the necessary safety modifications could run in the GTS classes. (weight/HP classifications)... most likely GTS4. You'll race against M3, other Porsches etc.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:10 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

You have already done things to your car that will make it illegal in PCA racing for any class it potentially could be competitive in. Most classes that a 996 are competitive in involve leaving the motor and trans stock and that includes the intake. The fabspeed exhaust is pretty but is probably too heavy for racing if it's the one that still has the cats or cat bypasses with all the fancy plumbing. You're also going to need a full roll cage etc.

You should sell your car before it's too late and buy this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...nning-car.html

Rule of thumb is to let the other guy spend the money on the build and buy it for pennies on the dollar
Old 07-07-2015, 10:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitz128
You could consider a NASA class and NASA has a great Rocky Mountain region.... you car once equipped with the necessary safety modifications could run in the GTS classes. (weight/HP classifications)... most likely GTS4. You'll race against M3, other Porsches etc.
Good advise. PCA has only 1 race in your immediate vicinity at High Plains Aug.15-16. You definitely should go watch and participate in their DE classes.

NASA runs High Point and Pueblo in Co. along with Miller Motorsports, Ut. and Hastings, NE.

SCCA also has a Rocky Mountain presence an runs those same tracks. Between all of them you could be quite busy.

As for modifications, you've made more HP now you need to make it handle better and protect the car. "Coilovers corner balanced to GT3 spec" sounds dubious. A good race mechanic is invaluable. I believe Chris Cervelli is in the Denver area. I'd look him up if it were me.....

As for car classification options, pick your race group and build accordingly after you get a cage built.....
Old 07-08-2015, 12:04 AM
Jtlong1234
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Good advise. PCA has only 1 race in your immediate vicinity at High Plains Aug.15-16. You definitely should go watch and participate in their DE classes.

NASA runs High Point and Pueblo in Co. along with Miller Motorsports, Ut. and Hastings, NE.

SCCA also has a Rocky Mountain presence an runs those same tracks. Between all of them you could be quite busy.

As for modifications, you've made more HP now you need to make it handle better and protect the car. "Coilovers corner balanced to GT3 spec" sounds dubious. A good race mechanic is invaluable. I believe Chris Cervelli is in the Denver area. I'd look him up if it were me.....

As for car classification options, pick your race group and build accordingly after you get a cage built.....
I'll be at the next DE, and the next.......I think a spec boxter is the way to run at this point. I don't know Chris personally, but I do know the folks at Poudre Sports Car and Rennstall. Poudre tunned the suspension, they know what they are doing. The car handles quite well. I was just putting my fellers out here. Should I go specbox or go full bore with the 996.
-thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by Jtlong1234; 07-08-2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: More info
Old 07-08-2015, 09:54 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I went through the same decision when a raged out 996 fell into my lap. With your intake and flash mods it would only be legal in a PCA GT class, The car would not be competitive without a lot of development $$$$$$. If you return the intake and flash to stock, GTB1, Stock H and Spec 996 open up as options. GTB1 is a class that is on fire now, A 996 can be built to that class, but is handicapped against the Caymen's where mega dollars are being spent by some very solid teams.
Spec 996 is a great class for the car but not a lot have been built, be the first in your area. That leaves H stock. The car should be competitive against mostly 964's at least that is my wild *** guess.I can let you know next year.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Jtlong1234
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dgmark
I went through the same decision when a raged out 996 fell into my lap. With your intake and flash mods it would only be legal in a PCA GT class, The car would not be competitive without a lot of development $$$$$$. If you return the intake and flash to stock, GTB1, Stock H and Spec 996 open up as options. GTB1 is a class that is on fire now, A 996 can be built to that class, but is handicapped against the Caymen's where mega dollars are being spent by some very solid teams.
Spec 996 is a great class for the car but not a lot have been built, be the first in your area. That leaves H stock. The car should be competitive against mostly 964's at least that is my wild *** guess.I can let you know next year.
GTB1 or spec boxter sounds like where I am headed. The 996 is a great DE car. However I think I am done pouring money into it. I can get a boxter for cheap and put the $$ there. Still have a fun car and another to race. Like the gentlemen said before." Buy a built one and save loads of $."
Old 07-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Take a look at "H" Stock

Read the PCA Club Racing rules. Their Stock theme, the car must be capable of being returned to street legal. As a result, most of the mods are bolt on. You can't "legally" touch the engine or transmission.

I'd suspect the Cayman S and perhaps a Boxster S car may show up, maybe a 996 or two. That Cayman S is balanced and bloody fast.

The good news, you can sell off the PCA Stock "illegal" stuff.....just get an approved cage and a race seat for the car, 5/6 point belts, an inside/outside kill switch and you're pretty much ready to go.

996 Spec is an option but few are showing up for that class, at least in my neck of the woods. It cost quite a bit to build out a 996 Spec.

Regardless, just do it.

Carrera RS 3.0
930 (3.3 Turbo)
911 3.3 Turbo
US Carrera Cup, street version 964 RS
997 Carrera (3.6)
997 Carrera 4 (3.6)
Cayman S
Boxster S
Attached Images

Quick Reply: 996 class?