Sponsored by:

Loving my Featherlite 17'6" Open Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:49 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
So...um. I confessed to spouse that this now belongs to me/us. It will be delivered Monday.
Heckuva PITA getting the MB CDI 320 programmed/wired etc. but I've survived worse by just adding the magic ingredient: greenbacks.

http://www.racingjunk.com/Open-Car-A...-For-Sale.html
And further down the rabbit hole you go.

Given you lightweight tow vehicle, Trailex seems to be a good way to go. Looks like a nice Spec Miata support rig. You will like trailering to the track. It will take a bit of practice if you haven't trailered before, but the key is be patient and look ahead. Another tip is the acronym GOAL, if in doubt, Get Out And Look.

With a good inertia controller the trailer brakes should work well. On mine, if I turn the controller all the way up, the trailer will stop the truck. I'm using a Draw-Tite 20191. It is actually made by Tekonsha and it's only about $75. Once dialed in I use B0 for an unloaded trailer and B1 with the car on it.

-Mike
Old 07-13-2015, 10:24 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone have experiences with long haul towing using the bonnet/lattice type of straps?

A P-car tech I know swears by these. Last time my Pig had to be towed, they used this kind as well.

I used them on a dolly 700 miles and they worked great. But are they OK for an aluminum trailer?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default If your tow strap tie downs are ...

directly behind the tie down "D" rings...they could be great. If the "D" rings are off at an angle, as they are on the Featherlite, then you are putting a significant strain on the wheels and their alignment, I would think. Just a thought...I am sticking to conventional tie downs for my rig...
Old 07-13-2015, 11:45 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Loving my Featherlite 17'6" Open Trailer

Does the Miata still have factory tie down hooks front and back? Mine does and super easy to use. Spec Miata might have those deleted as the tow hooks usually mount to that spot.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Default Sexy twilight photo shoot!

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Spec Miata might have those deleted as the tow hooks usually mount to that spot.
I used the front tow hooks and whatever that thingy is in the back (my tech taped it for me). It drove like a charm!

I used this system but next time, on a friends advice, plan to attach the rear straps straight rather than crossing them.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Martin S.
directly behind the tie down "D" rings...they could be great. If the "D" rings are off at an angle, as they are on the Featherlite, then you are putting a significant strain on the wheels and their alignment, I would think. Just a thought...I am sticking to conventional tie downs for my rig...
Thanks for the info. I will return the ones I purchased, as the conventional ones worked great!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:30 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

That looks like the factory hooks in the front -- "baby teeth" in Miata speak. Not sure what the heck is going on in the back but it looks like it worked. I have to cross my front straps on my trailer too.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:30 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
That's the stock Featherlight Tire Rack ($480). I asked, "Why so tall." They said to allow visibility to the driver of the tow vehicle. I've now dragged this wonderful trailer around for more than 30,000 miles, and I appreciate the added visibility. But I've destroyed my shoulders trying to hoist wheels up onto the rack. So, this week, I'll be cutting the rack down to a more manageable size. This is a variation I recently saw at Mid-Ohio.
Did you ever cut down your tire rack? How low did you go?

Got any pics?
Old 09-21-2015, 03:54 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't recall exactly how low I cut it, but I think I trimmed 18" off the bottom. The car fits perfect. Plenty of room. But the tires completely block the rear view. You have to rely on your side mirrors. And it's a bitch to back up with restricted visibility.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:14 PM
TXE36
Drifting

I'm tempted to cut mine down too so the tires on it can draft my tow vehicle. I already have a big box on the tongue, so my rear visibility out the inside review mirror is already compromised. Spent about eight bucks on two of these and problem solved. With the Expedition mirrors adjusted properly for complete coverage when not towing, the blind spot mirrors pick up the trailer fenders as well as behind the trailer. I can see somebody about a car length back directly behind the trailer w/o having to go to tow mirrors with just a sideways glance. Backing is a cakewalk as well.

I put them on the upper outside corners with the rounded edge towards the center of the mirror. They don't block the useful area of the truck mirrors either and make the truck easier to drive.

-Mike
Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I'm tempted to cut mine down too so the tires on it can draft my tow vehicle. I already have a big box on the tongue, so my rear visibility out the inside review mirror is already compromised. Spent about eight bucks on two of these and problem solved. With the Expedition mirrors adjusted properly for complete coverage when not towing, the blind spot mirrors pick up the trailer fenders as well as behind the trailer. I can see somebody about a car length back directly behind the trailer w/o having to go to tow mirrors with just a sideways glance. Backing is a cakewalk as well.

I put them on the upper outside corners with the rounded edge towards the center of the mirror. They don't block the useful area of the truck mirrors either and make the truck easier to drive.

-Mike
Mike, your trailer is extra long which makes positioning easier of tire rack, box, etc, I've known your trailer thru 3 owners now. I'm the one that had the big tool box built on that thing. How's it holding up ?
See you this weekend.
Viking
Old 09-24-2015, 11:08 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Just added tire rack and carriers for 20 gal of fuel
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Mike, your trailer is extra long which makes positioning easier of tire rack, box, etc, I've known your trailer thru 3 owners now. I'm the one that had the big tool box built on that thing. How's it holding up ?
See you this weekend.
Viking
It's holding up well and it is so handy (it's ginormous). A few very small stress cracks here and there and the piano hinges need new pop rivets. Just waiting for the Texas furnace to turn off before addressing.

The rest of the trailer is in pretty good shape. I put truck tires on it. It needs a tail light and a right rear running board. The downside of a welded aluminum trailer is sometimes the welds break. It looks like the running board fell off sometime during the previous owner's travels. This is also why you've never seen a right hand fender on it while I've had it.

The extra length also makes it very stable when towing. The truck will tow it at 80MPH smooth as glass.

-Mike
Old 07-20-2017, 10:26 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I want to add a tire rack to my featherlite trailer, what is the best way to do that. I've seen the factory tire rack but also it looks like folks use the Trailex tires racks.

Phil
Old 07-24-2017, 11:49 PM
Bama911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^as do I, had been thinking the Trailex rack but listing my 3110 17.5' now, need a slightly smaller enclosed Featherlite for an open cockpit race car.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tro...234005691.html

Really like the mods the OP did to his.

Quick Reply: Loving my Featherlite 17'6" Open Trailer