0%
Circuit of the Americas
4.26%
Laguna Seca
1.06%
OTHER
5.32%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: The best PCA Club Race Of The Year (with a twist for fairness)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Default POLL: The best PCA Club Race Of The Year (with a twist for fairness)

This year, in the correspondence from Zone 1 prior to The Clash at the Glen weekend, the organizers called the event the best race weekend of the year. I seem to hear this from a number of the races I enter every year.

But it got me to thinking... objectively what is widely considered to be the best weekend(s) of the schedule?

A brief search of the RL archives turned up nothing.

So why not poll the racing board? Rennlist is certainly national. And the assembled racers here are widely experienced and cover all of the events on the PCA CR schedule.

Vote for the weekend you think is best, and/or, that you most enjoy. Then post a few words on why you like it so much. The Best will prevail.

Here’s the twist…

To keep it fair and unbiased, and not favor large regions, let's say you can't vote for your home region's event. We're counting on your integrity here (Is that possible with a group of racers????) Vote for the best of the rest of the races you participate in ever year. Again, the top races will most certainly prevail.

Take into consideration factors like the quality and the challenge of the track, the level of competition, how well it's organized, communication, how smoothly it's run, at track registration and ease of entry, corner workers and Safety crews, paddock environment, at track dinner and social events, local racing watering holes, even stuff like the Swag that you receive. In other words, whatever factors make it an event you look forward to all year.

Please note, the RL Poll function only allows for 20 spaces, and there are 32 races on the CR schedule. Certainly a problem!!!!! So I’ve included the 19 races that seem to be mentioned most frequently on this board. Then saved the last Poll space for “Other”. Vote “Other” if you don’t see your “Best” race weekend among the rest of the Poll selections. Then kindly explain in a post why you like it, and why it should be one of the best.

Don’t flame me if your home region’s is not on the list. By the rules of this Poll, stated above, you shouldn’t be voting for it anyway. Besides, if your region puts on a top quality event, your fellow racers will highlight it on the “Other” option. Rest assured, we’ll keep track of the front-running “Others” and everyone will see them. Sorry, I wish there was space for all 32 events.

This should be interesting, with lots of varied but valid opinions…

But remember, you can’t vote for your “home” event. (Thanks for honoring that!)

(QUESTION FOR ADMIN – CAN YOU EXPAND THE POLL TO 32 ITEMS???)
Old 06-09-2015, 05:05 PM
captdownshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much of it is dependent on class participation within a region (of the country, not PCA). I know that wherever the Texas and lower plain guys travel that great SPB and SP1 battles will ensue. The west coast guys seem to be building numbers in SP996, SP911 and GT classes, the northeast seems to favor SPB, E and SP3. With Cup Cars getting to the tracks of their choice. Different races offer something for everyone.

With that being said, come the beginning of February, I'm ready to leave the frozen tundra, thaw out for the better part of a week and reconnect with friends who have also been stuck in hibernation mode.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:10 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I always enjoyed the Roebling Road Race in Dec. It was the last race of the year in the SE. Well organized, low key, lots of beer, shirts or vests were always top shelf, pizza and more beer on Friday night at the hotel, safe track, great corner workers. Terrific group to race with, both the organizers and other racers.

Too bad they could not make enough $$ to keep it on the schedule.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:53 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree the best race used to be the Roebling Race, by far and away the best combination of hospitality and racing. Prior to that, it was Bridgehampton, for the racing and spectacular views.

Could we make a poll to get it back?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to Road America the last two years. By far the best event of each year.

And having just done Laguna Seca again last weekend, I still don't understand rabid fervor that folk have to race there. It was a great weekend with a higher than normal turn-out, but I think Sears Point is a better track and makes for much better racing.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I would have voted for the Lime Rock race but according to the rules I can't.

Sebring was a bucket list item and also my first race so I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Road America.

Huge event. Huge track. Huge time.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:04 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
+1 for Road America.

Huge event. Huge track. Huge time.
I've been there once but never raced there. It's on my schedule for next year.

Best is kind of subjective. Sebring is great because it's first, has huge fields and night racing. The glen is always great because the track is so much fun but I think I have had the most fun at Summit Point. Go figure.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Watkins Glen and Rd America are oh so close-
The off track activities are better at Rd America but The Glen might see a little more intense racing.
That's over the past 10 years, excluding 2015.
Lime Rock? You gotta be kidding. You guys need to get out a little more.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:14 AM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

Yet another vote for Road America because of how good the event is on and off track, Watkins Glen would be a close second.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Sebring and watkins are great fun.....shirts at sebring eh. ......watkins has some large fields as well as good jackets. ...but when it rains ugh

Vir is a great race ....track is superb...plenty of run off room...new pavement....nice facility...go karts. ..a pool...hot yes but still a rediculously good weekend.

Have not been to road America but want to one year.

Summit for fun but its my home track so can't vote...but great track...even better dinner.....

Limerock...good event ...track is ok but man high risk...beaverun could be interesting with the extended course
So far I'm a toss up between the glen sebring and vir for the tracks I visit...since summit is excluded
Old 06-10-2015, 11:01 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
Yeah, who wants to drive at Lime Rock? That crappy old historic track nestled in beautiful NW Connecticut. Where it is oh so challenging to put together a perfect lap and every tenth you shave off is rewarding. Who likes that crappy track?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:11 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm biased towards the NJMP Thunderbolt event but that might be because I've had the pleasure of winning on my birthday!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 PM
944hal
Pro

The best after race Saturday evening party I've been to was at CMP a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, no Club Race there anymore either. Roebling was also laid back and fun with great racing. Any input on why attendance there was so low? How about, "I didn't go to Roebling because......" responses on another thread?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose

Quick Reply: POLL: The best PCA Club Race Of The Year (with a twist for fairness)