Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice for using a towing dolly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 AM
ruth
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Mwest on this forum is a PCA instructor who uses a tow dolly for his V8 Miata. Maybe he can help
Old 06-11-2015, 11:37 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check page 20 of this site for the base plate. Then just order one of their tow bars. Jimmy can install the base plate for you.
Much easier than a dolly. Besides, I would be concerned about trans lubrication with the nose of the car up on a dolly and the drive shaft in-tact. As already noted, removing the drive shaft is a pita.

Gary
Old 06-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
Nice car! Having already gone this route, expect that it will take some time to learn the car. I blamed my car for a long time for being slow. Turned out that it was not the car.
Hehe...Maybe the car can blame me because that would be more accurate.

Originally Posted by ruth
Mwest on this forum is a PCA instructor who uses a tow dolly for his V8 Miata. Maybe he can help
Originally Posted by gr1275
Check page 20 of this site for the base plate. Then just order one of their tow bars. Jimmy can install the base plate for you.
Much easier than a dolly. Besides, I would be concerned about trans lubrication with the nose of the car up on a dolly and the drive shaft in-tact. As already noted, removing the drive shaft is a pita.

Gary
Ruth and Gary, thanks for the leads. After an in-depth look into the Miata forums, looks like it'll be no problem to tow it with the driveshaft intact as long as it's a manual transmission and put in neutral.

So, that's the current plan. Longer term, I;ll check in to see about the baseplate Gary. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
So, that's the current plan. Longer term, I;ll check in to see about the baseplate Gary. Thanks for the link.
Be careful going this route. SM rules don't permit the baseplate, so make sure that it could be undone without issues. You don't want to cause yourself issues if you ever wanted to give SM racing a shot or decide on selling the car in the future.

BTW, if you haven't driven VIR North or South, they are excellent courses to help you get aquatinted with the car's balance and maintaining momentum.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:19 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

When this unfolded yesterday, it made me think of Dr911 after sensing perhaps a bit of regret over moving from a 911 to a Spec Miata. At TWS yesterday I was driving really well. I guesstimate I was running in the top 10-15% of the instructor run group and started a session behind this blue Miata. I had to really work to run him down, and then once past him, I screwed up trying to get away from him and had to let him by. It took nearly the rest of the session to re-pass him. The footage ends early because the SD card filled up. What really enabled me to pass him the first time was a step out at T1 which killed his momentum.

My point is, it was one of those epic sessions with another driver going neck and neck with you. The car I'm driving is a very well prepared E36 M3 and a well driven Miata can still give it a run for its money. Also note, that we were let go in front of the run group and didn't get passed. At the end, we are actually catching up with the tail end of the grid .

There was another Miata that day where it wasn't a battle, he just flat blew by me. For reference, here is a session with a friend of mine in a 911 during the session just before:

Miatas are bad fast in the right hands and they are so bloody cheap to boot. Eventually you should be able to keep up with others driving P-cars similar to the one you retired from the track.

-Mike
Old 06-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

get a new hitch- tow the car with a trailer
Old 06-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXE36
When this unfolded yesterday, it made me think of Dr911 after sensing perhaps a bit of regret over moving from a 911 to a Spec Miata. At TWS yesterday I was driving really well. I guesstimate I was running in the top 10-15% of the instructor run group and started a session behind this blue Miata. I had to really work to run him down, and then once past him, I screwed up trying to get away from him and had to let him by. It took nearly the rest of the session to re-pass him. The footage ends early because the SD card filled up. What really enabled me to pass him the first time was a step out at T1 which killed his momentum.

My point is, it was one of those epic sessions with another driver going neck and neck with you. The car I'm driving is a very well prepared E36 M3 and a well driven Miata can still give it a run for its money. Also note, that we were let go in front of the run group and didn't get passed. At the end, we are actually catching up with the tail end of the grid .

Miatas are bad fast in the right hands and they are so bloody cheap to boot. Eventually you should be able to keep up with others driving P-cars similar to the one you retired from the track.

-Mike
Awesome driving Mike! And does give me courage/hope.

Road Atlanta this past weekend felt like a picnic in the Miata's maiden voyage. Also, my grades improved vastly (previously I had scored a D+ on the Chin grades page, this time I ended with a solid B.

Hopefully I can graduate to an old G series 911 or possibly go specBox route.
Thanks for the encouragement!
A.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Default Survived (Not really!) To Tell the Tale

1. Towed Miata down, no prob. (By no prob, I mean it tore off the front bumper.)
2. Parking this abomination was hell
3. Reversing this was hell squared times Pi
4. After the track weekend, while loading Miata onto dolly, it (the dolly) decided to take revenge and BROKE OFF the driveshaft.
5. Even though paddock was nearly empty several kind souls of all denominations (Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, SpecMiata and Dodge SRT) showed up to the rescue. Disconnected said drive shaft and pushed car onto the dolly. Their girlfriends took photos. Amazing guys!
6. UHaul insurance dudes better pay (but if they don't its nothing compared to what I would have spent on the 911)
7. Track budget for the year is spent. So is hubby's patience.

Last edited by Dr911; 06-15-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:14 AM
TXE36
Drifting

1. Towed Miata down, no prob. (By no prob, I mean it tore off the front bumper.)
2. Parking this abomination was hell
3. Reversing this was hell squared times Pi
4. After the track weekend, while loading Miata onto dolly, it (the dolly) decided to take revenge and BROKE OFF the driveshaft.
5. Even though paddock was nearly empty several kind souls of all denominations (Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, SpecMiata and Dodge SRT) showed up to the rescue. Disconnected said drive shaft and pushed car onto the dolly. Their girlfriends took photos. Amazing guys!
6. UHaul insurance dudes better pay (but if they don't its nothing compared to what I would have spent on the 911)
7. Track budget for the year is spent. So is hubby's patience.
Sounds like you have some bugs to work out. Reversing will get better with practice. The first time I had to back my trailer into its tight storage lot place it took nearly a dozen tries to get it right - it now goes in right the first time. One of the pieces of advice I read about towing makes a lot of sense - GOAL. If in doubt, Get Out And Look.

Was the DS breaking on the dolly just a coincidence? Let me guess, the bumper caught on the ramps?

My experience has shown that when someone has obvious issues on the paddock help is never far away even when the event is wrapping up and the paddock is getting empty. When I had a weekend ending off I had an offer to tow the car home before the track crew unloaded it from the flat bed. Within five minutes I had two more offers because the guys knew I drove the car to the track. It's one of the awesome things about the people who participate in this sport .

-Mike
Old 06-16-2015, 09:23 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Hopefully I can graduate to an old G series 911 or possibly go specBox route.
Thanks for the encouragement!
A.
Get fast in that Miata and you will be fast in anything. While I had fun with the blue one, there are at least a 1/2 dozen guys in my area in SMs that will pass me like I'm the chicane out there.

Pay close attention to the video at about 6:16. That little step out in T1 cost him a lot of momentum. Compare that to the previous lap at 4:16 - I was still catching him on the straight with power, but not nearly at the rate of the next lap. The physics going on there applies to any car, but the Miata really makes it obvious.

SPBs are fun too, but a lot more expensive than a SM.

-Mike
Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve113
get a new hitch- tow the car with a trailer
So....ahem. To follow up.

After adding up all the costs of the Uhaul tow dolly, the Uhaul truck, and the repairs to my bumper and driveshaft, the total TRANSPORTATION bill was close to $1200 for two days with Chin @ Road Atlanta.

Last week, the MB R Class compatible tow hitch *finally* arrived and was installed. AND I bit the bullet and bought myself a Trailex CT-7451.

That, combined with the SpecMiata, combined with the speeding ticket ***/70, combined with the whole Uhaul debacle has exhausted the 2015 track budget.

Last edited by Dr911; 07-19-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:13 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Any advice for using a towing dolly?

Budget. How's that pronounced? Never seen it in this context before.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:32 PM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As they say.....

Racing in slow motion
Crashing in slow motion
Spending money in slow motion

Welcome to SM. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:50 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Any advice for using a towing dolly?

What do a Miata and a Ferrari have in common?

It's impossible to have a $10,000 accident.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 PM
TXE36
Drifting

That, combined with the SpecMiata, combined with the speeding ticket ***/70, combined with the whole Uhaul debacle has exhausted the 2015 track budget.
You managed a speeding ticket while driving a u-haul towing a Miata on a dolly in a 70 MPH zone??!!? Well done! There may be a racer in you yet.

The last uhaul I rented while packed with everything I owned with my car on a trailer out back might have got up to 65 MPH with a tailwind.

You could solve you "budget" problem using the congressional approach - oh wait - that approach doesn't work so well if one is spending their own money. I thought you already knew the rule about never adding it up.

If it makes you feel any better, I saw a new GT3 smack the wall this weekend. Likely not totaled, but the buffing will like cost more than you have spent on your Miata adventure, and probably whatever you spent last year as well.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Any advice for using a towing dolly?