Sponsored by:

Heart Rate During a Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
In the 'for what it's worth' and 'for fun' departments ...

I got my new Apple Watch on Friday so I decided to try it out during the races on Saturday and Sunday. Previous attempts to monitor heart rate using a chest strap failed due to RF interference from the car.

In the race, while pushing hard, my HR hovered in the 150 & 160's. During a double yellow it dropped back to 120s. I'm not too surprised by the numbers but, as a scientist, it's nice to see data. When I mountain bike up a fire road with a 5-6% grade, pushing moderately, I'm in the 150's. I go anaerobic at about 165 and my max observed HR is 185 (all numbers from when mountain biking). I'm 59 and moderately fit. My resting HR is ~59.
Yep, noticed that many years ago. You gotta love racing. It is the one thing that turns the volume down on very stressful professional lives . . . well big wave surfing (over 15 foot face) does it foe me also.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Surely I'm not the only one....close your eyes and visualize coming down the start/finish straight in formation waiting on the green. Heart rate zooms! As Steve Springer says (baseball reference) the mind doesn't know the body isn't doing it.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 06-26-2015, 12:03 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Surely I'm not the only one....close your eyes and visualize coming down the start/finish straight in formation waiting on the green. Heart rate zooms! As Steve Springer says (baseball reference) the mind doesn't know the body isn't doing it.
I guess it is all relative. Race starts just don't get my heart going all that much. I attribute that to the fact that car rolling race starts are so much less stressful than the standing starts I did racing motorcycles. Pushing on the gas pedal is a lot easier than getting a good launch. Also, heading into turn 2 at Sears Point with one or two cars around is quite a bit different than 10 bikes!

Quick Reply: Heart Rate During a Race