Sponsored by:

Live streaming in car club race

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:20 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Live streaming in car club race

Ok so I think I have my in car working. Second session in my 991 cup car.

Unfortunately due to mounting area can't see driver (or maybe that's a good thing!)

Here is the link. Should be in car and on track by 450 or 5pm est

Www.ustream.tv/channel/rsrracer01
Old 05-29-2015, 05:44 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is working!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:48 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I like!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Ok so I guess you all now know I forgot to set phone to keep from going into sleep mode.

Anyhow you missed nothing. Some bonehead tapped me in T1 and spun me around. No damage.

Back tomorrow weather permitting.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:29 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Not seeing anything.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:43 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

Nothing seen here...
Old 05-30-2015, 08:06 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, funny you mention this. I have just uploaded the first version of an iPhone app I developed that allows you to stream live video to YouTube. We ran a race with it a month ago as test:

700kbps, 480p streaming and no 100% 3G coverage on the track, using an old iPhone 4S.

Here is the video of the stream:

The version I uploaded (and our team will be using next week at Zandvoort, and with an iPhone 6 this time) has some extra features:
- overlays of static images in the corners
- live text rendered on top of the video by sending Tweets from a Twitter account you link to the app. (Handy to show positions or time deltas to the viewers).
- remotely switching between back and front cameras (if you mount it low on the windshield drivers side it can give some cool images during the pit stop while swapping drivers).

It will probably take a week before it gets through Apple validation. If anyone is interested I can drop the link here.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:47 AM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

please post the link and any other set up info, looks interesting. I'd like to try it.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:37 PM
ianacole
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Hey guys, funny you mention this. I have just uploaded the first version of an iPhone app I developed that allows you to stream live video to YouTube. We ran a race with it a month ago as test:

700kbps, 480p streaming and no 100% 3G coverage on the track, using an old iPhone 4S.

Here is the video of the stream:

BGDC Spa 05/04/2015 Race BMW #17 FSA - YouTube

The version I uploaded (and our team will be using next week at Zandvoort, and with an iPhone 6 this time) has some extra features:
- overlays of static images in the corners
- live text rendered on top of the video by sending Tweets from a Twitter account you link to the app. (Handy to show positions or time deltas to the viewers).
- remotely switching between back and front cameras (if you mount it low on the windshield drivers side it can give some cool images during the pit stop while swapping drivers).

It will probably take a week before it gets through Apple validation. If anyone is interested I can drop the link here.
Why the drive through penalty early on?

And, wow... looks like at least half the race was under full course caution... did you get bumped at the 1:01:26 mark?

Last edited by ianacole; 06-01-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:25 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ianacole
Why the drive through penalty early on?
Drive-through because one of the drivers overtook another car under yellow during qualifying. On the channel you can find the video of the qualifying too. If you look closely enough you can find where that happened Can't really blame the driver, he was very close to another participant preparing to overtake and the yellow flag was not visible to him (was on the outside of Pouhon, quite far from the track, other car blocked his view). Bad luck.

And, wow... looks like at least half the race was under full course caution... did you get bumped at the 1:01:26 mark?
Correct. The car that was passed before entering Eau Rouge is a BMW 325i running semi-slick tires and he decided it was a good idea to follow our M3 on slicks at the same entry speed. If he didn't use our car as brake he would be in the barriers at that speed. Of course it wasn't his fault Mind you the cars in that class run about 15 seconds slower per lap than our M3, so of course he would take Raidillon at the same speed ... makes perfect sense.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:29 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRT41
please post the link and any other set up info, looks interesting. I'd like to try it.
Will do. I put a short tutorial on how to configure youtube live streaming in your channel on the website of the app. I'll post it all here once Apple validates the app (which I hope will be this week, unless they reject it for some silly reason and then we're off for another week of waiting).

Setup is very easy. The most important part of the entire operation is the network quality. All depends on coverage.

Depending on the success of the app there are quite a few ideas I have to improve it. Could add realtime data on top of the video (for instance speed, or a track map with a dot showing where you are, or heart rate of the driver). But all that takes time to write of course and I have bills (and petrol ) to pay.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 PM
ianacole
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drive-through because one of the drivers overtook another car under yellow during qualifying. On the channel you can find the video of the qualifying too. If you look closely enough you can find where that happened Can't really blame the driver, he was very close to another participant preparing to overtake and the yellow flag was not visible to him (was on the outside of Pouhon, quite far from the track, other car blocked his view). Bad luck.
Ah, that explains it... didn't see anything in your video that would lead to a penalty. Good idea to get it out of the way early on.

Correct. The car that was passed before entering Eau Rouge is a BMW 325i running semi-slick tires and he decided it was a good idea to follow our M3 on slicks at the same entry speed. If he didn't use our car as brake he would be in the barriers at that speed. Of course it wasn't his fault Mind you the cars in that class run about 15 seconds slower per lap than our M3, so of course he would take Raidillon at the same speed ... makes perfect sense.
Funny how often that's the case ... someone else's fault Very nice recovery, though. Also, really nice work on that white, big winged BMW at the end. Too bad that slower car pushed you out on track out. I assume you caught something, looked like a marker, that did some damage to the rear suspension.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:44 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ianacole
Ah, that explains it... didn't see anything in your video that would lead to a penalty. Good idea to get it out of the way early on.
Yeah we waited for a safety car situation as to loose as less time as possible

Also, really nice work on that white, big winged BMW at the end. Too bad that slower car pushed you out on track out. I assume you caught something, looked like a marker, that did some damage to the rear suspension.
That was the battle for 2nd place. The driver overtook a slower car, but the guy in that car didn't see ours so our car got hit right on the back wheel and part of the suspension broke, so race over and out. There was just too much traffic on the track, plenty of accidents and crashes that race (70 cars on a 7km race track, and high speeds).
Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Aaaand we're online

http://www.youlive.be

or for those of you that directly want to download the app:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/youlive/id982681249?mt=8

Website also contains a quick explanation on how to configure your videos on YouTube.

Example video of last race:

The biggest challenge is keeping the camera stable. Seems the iPhone is very sensible to vibrations.

For in-car streaming like this I would suggest not to be using the HD mode. It's not worth the extra bandwidth and you get a lot more delay on your video at youtube.

Quick Reply: Live streaming in car club race