Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Logistical VIR questions (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/875103-logistical-vir-questions.html)

paradocs98 05-23-2015 11:42 AM

Logistical VIR questions

Doing a DE day at VIR next month. First time at this track and very excited about it. Couple of questions. Where is the on-site air compressor located? And is garage rental a good idea if it ends up being a rainy day, or is it overkill? Do most people just pitch a tent in the paddock during track days?

sbelles 05-23-2015 12:07 PM

The Compressor is in the tech shed. Garages are very nice to have, especially if you have a paddoc suite upstairs but most people do not. Enjoy, it's a fantastic track.

ProCoach 05-23-2015 12:24 PM

The paddock, being paved, is not messy. The garages are nice, but not necessary. Enjoy!

CCA 05-23-2015 01:10 PM

Not enough pretty girls at most DE events to "pitch a tent". Maybe at last weekends MotoAmerica race, usually some cuties there for the big motorcycle races. :cool:

Assuming you don't rent a garage, then a canopy is usually nice to have. Be sure to have tie-downs for it, as spikes are a no go. Btw, ff you do the garage and don't have an upstairs suit than the bathrooms are a hike.

acropora157 05-23-2015 05:31 PM

It's a long ride from NY. Remember that radar detectors are illegal in VA and they take speeding very seriously there. It's a great track and worth the ride. As a first timer, keep in mind that the left hander, turn 4 is taken much slower than expected, and similar to the left hander at Lime Rock.

ProCoach 05-23-2015 05:53 PM

Actually, the methodology and the line overview for Turn 4 IS the same as the Left Hander, but the speed is quite a bit less, in my car.

I see 73-74 in the Left Hander vMin, typically never more than 52-54 at VIR T4 (this is in a small prototype on slicks).

You should see similar vMins at T1, T4 Oak Tree and T14 (within 2-3 mph). If one or more are low, work on those.

kurtkrum 05-23-2015 07:38 PM

Are you towing your car? The paddock is newly paved and there are requirements to put something under your trailer jack (like a block of wood). Also, fuel spills are taboo because of the newness of the asphalt, so if you bring your own fuel jugs be sure to bring some cardboard to put on the ground just in case. If not there is fuel at the track and the markup isn't that bad.

Canopy is nice for shelter from sun and rain, but you will need something weighted to hold it down.

Everyone loves this track. Your long trip will be worth it. See you at the pub when the track goes cold :-)

sbelles 05-23-2015 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by acropora157 (Post 12304582)
they take speeding very seriously.

+1 on that. Especially if you take 360 out of Richmond.

ProCoach 05-23-2015 10:29 PM

29, too. Notorious speed trap.

58's heavily patrolled from 360 to 119 and 62 headed west.

Harvey in FL 05-24-2015 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by kurtkrum (Post 12304774)
Canopy is nice for shelter from sun and rain, but you will need something weighted to hold it down. :-)

I'm going next week for the first time to VIR. So, if I understand you, there is no place to put up a small canopy in the grass with stakes to hold it down and also park you car next to the canopy while waiting for my track time ?

the_vetman 05-24-2015 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Harvey in FL (Post 12305180)
I'm going next week for the first time to VIR. So, if I understand you, there is no place to put up a small canopy in the grass with stakes to hold it down and also park you car next to the canopy while waiting for my track time ?

You would be correct.

Frank 993 C4S 05-24-2015 06:05 AM

Use some weights or tires to hold it down.

flatsics 05-24-2015 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)

You would need to park on the edge of the paved area, to be near any grass.

the_vetman 05-24-2015 09:32 AM

^I don't think you can put tents up with spikes in the grass areas shown, however. At least not right next to the paddock. Tent limbs should be tied down to spare wheels as Frank said.

CCA 05-24-2015 12:48 PM

There is still a small unpaved gravel area, up by the dyno-shed, which is out of the picture posted. However, unless this is WELL attended event, like an SCCA race, then you will be by your lonesome up there.