Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio Race Course

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:58 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by viprklr
This was insane for what is supposedly one of the best tracks in the country. I don't think so !!
I just got back from my first time racing at Mid-O. Great course very technical. I want to go back to learn that track. But it is Very poorly maintained. We were in the old wooden garages. Could they spend $10 bucks and put those spike strips to keep the birds out so they don't sh*t all over you and the car while in the garage? Are you kidding, we pay extra for garages? So over night I got even more bird sh*t all over my car and heaps of saw dust from something eating the timbers...nice. That and the local Travel Lodge make Buttonwillow look pretty darn nice. I like all the pot holes around the grounds too. When it rains the holes are so deep you swear you can go fishing in all the lakes in the paddock. Oh...what is up with Mid-O's no bicycle policy?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Birds are better than raccoons! I was in the garages 3 years ago and left some food (still in the packaging, unopened) that the raccoons got into over night. We found a complete mess of crumbs and destroyed hamburger buns, chips, and assorted snacks strewn throughout our entire garage space. I agree that a "Professional" racing facility should be much better than it is. For a club racer it's not as bad as some of the other tracks in the region. Want an adventure check out Nelson!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I just got back from my first time racing at Mid-O. Great course very technical. I want to go back to learn that track. But it is Very poorly maintained. We were in the old wooden garages. Could they spend $10 bucks and put those spike strips to keep the birds out so they don't sh*t all over you and the car while in the garage? Are you kidding, we pay extra for garages? So over night I got even more bird sh*t all over my car and heaps of saw dust from something eating the timbers...nice. That and the local Travel Lodge make Buttonwillow look pretty darn nice. I like all the pot holes around the grounds too. When it rains the holes are so deep you swear you can go fishing in all the lakes in the paddock. Oh...what is up with Mid-O's no bicycle policy?
I was there last weekend with my Radical...the garages are in very poor shape. The door wouldn't even close.
The track itself was fine...no issues. I was really pleased to turn my first sub-1:31 lap. I'm aiming for a 1:29 next time!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Really sad to see what was once a premier facility go down hill. Between the birds, raccoons and carpenter bees you might as well paddock in the woods. The paper towels in the restroom run out within the first hours of the weekend never to be restocked. Last year at the club race a track employee was arrested for stealing from our garage.

Kids can run any manner of Pitt bikes all over the place but if a driver rides a bike to a meeting you are branded a war criminal. Clubs were always afraid to complain for fear of losing their dates but I hope that starts to change, they need a wake up call.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:45 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Just got home from a Monday track day at Mid-Ohio. The track surface is acceptable with a few exceptions, most notably the apex in the Keyhole is breaking up. It's not bad yet but if it's not tended to immediately it's going to be quite unacceptable. Off the racing surface on the inside of some apexes the ground is starting to become dug out some but that's not unusual after a weekend of SCCA racing.

Aside from the track breaking up exiting the Keyhole, the other very disappointing thing is the entry road at Gate 3. As others have stated it's become a wagon trail, full of sizeable potholes.......so many you can't really dodge them. The bathrooms were not bad, but not good either. Kind of like they've been for the past several years.

Let's hope the owners hear these concerns and do something about them to bring Mid-Ohio back to a world-class facility as it once was.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Off the racing surface on the inside of some apexes the ground is starting to become dug out some but that's not unusual after a weekend of SCCA racing.
Those ripped up track surfaces where there before us last weekend. Nothing like a few more landmines to add to an already technical track.

Gate 3 a wagon trail! RMAO That was funny.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:50 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

was there on Thursday night for a test/tune with SCCA.. they have marks on the gate 3 pavement that indicate they are planning to repair or repave soon...track spent some money moving a wall back and improving visibility in Thunder Alley recently...agree that the bathrooms and garages need a major renovation. It is an awesome track, my favorite, and I hope they can begin investing some more $$ in the amenities. I fear once Pitt Race is finished Mid-Ohio could be losing some club business.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
they have marks on the gate 3 pavement that indicate they are planning to repair or repave soon..
We saw the same markings in April and thought the same thing...then in may...hopefully soon!
Old 06-03-2015, 11:19 AM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I made the same mistake that 2BWise made with food in the garage. Not thinking, I left pretzels, peanuts, etc in a shopping bag overnight last fast & came back in the morning to a huge mess. To add insult, my 996TT was covered in bird crap from them sitting overnight on the rafters. Arghhhh.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

was there on Thursday night for a test/tune with SCCA.. they have marks on the gate 3 pavement that indicate they are planning to repair or repave soon...track spent some money moving a wall back and improving visibility in Thunder Alley recently...agree that the bathrooms and garages need a major renovation. It is an awesome track, my favorite, and I hope they can begin investing some more $$ in the amenities. I fear once Pitt Race is finished Mid-Ohio could be losing some club business.

They were also painting the garages on Thursday night and doing some other maintenance on the grounds that we saw when we were there too. Maybe they are watching this post.

My top grief is the paper towel dispenser (or the too thin paper towels) in the bathroom.

Thanks

Ed
Old 06-10-2015, 08:07 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

they have marks on the gate 3 pavement that indicate they are planning to repair or repave soon...
Any update on this from anyone? If they haven't repaved, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I was last there with Chin on 5/25-5/26 and they were just filling the potholes with gravel... Wasn't much better and the gravel were getting kicked up and out immediately. Guess I should've asked the crew if they were planning on fixing the potholes, but it looked like that (gravel) was all they were going to do.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

MO is a hell of a track. The poor surface out of the keyhole is really not that big of a deal. I'm sure they will fix for some of the big races coming up. I don't see MO as a lot worse as it's more or less been this way for a while. I go there several times per year and unless I'm in the grass on those half assed paved mud roads its OK. I agree they should put some money into the place. After all even Putnam Park has heated water now!!!!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:50 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Got my track packet for an event in a couple weeks and one of the notifications is that gate 3 (the standard club entrance) will be closed for construction for this event. I'm hopeful that this means repave of that entrance to get rid of the minefield.

I'll report back after the event.

In other news my brother got a $1k bill for a section of the concrete wall which they appear to have painted but not even bothered to move back the couple of inches that he moved it.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

I love the track but the rest of the facility is going down the same road as Mosport did; there (after it was sold) they basically blew it up and started from scratch (new buildings, parking lots, tunnels, etc) and it's much better, lack of garages notwithstanding.....

Somebody with the wherewithal (read:$$$$$$$$) needs to buy Mid-O and fix it, plain and simple......of course, the seller has to want to sell and the place, no matter how much we complain about it, is busy virtually every day of the season and (I would assume) raking it in.....

Gary
Old 07-25-2015, 09:35 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

This is a good sign.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  152.8 KB

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio Race Course