Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Like the Glen... We can't move the Blue Bushes for safety concerns, it's part of the tracks' "character".
yeah, but the blue bushes are not on the racing surface...stay on the track and they don't come into play. At Sebring...the lousy racing surface is unavoidable.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
VIR is essentially closed form Thanksgiving until sometime in Feb, when brave clubs & drivers start lying to themselves that we're going to have early Spring this year. Peronally, I wait until April to consider events there, as March is crap shoot. But, yes does have a longer active season then Mid-O or WGI. Hopefully, it will remain top-notch facility. I love it.
As long as Connie owns VIR, it will remain top notch. How many tracks do you know that are owned by people that actually RACE???
Old 05-21-2015, 02:44 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, this is NNJR's track Chair. Yes we rented flatbeds, ambulances, workers, etc...... and backups to all the above and then some.

On Friday there was a car that went off track (left) after Madness, hit the barrier and broke a rear spindle. For some reason the track left the car there and was going to retrieve it later. The driver and one of our CI's talked to MO at lunch about what they were going to do. The driver owned a repair shop and stated he thought he could limp it home. The car was to be brought out of there by MO and the car was off by the time we resumed after lunch, but I don’t know the exact method. In any case the driver stated his original preference.

Oh yeah, we provided coffee and donuts every day as well as beer and snacks on Friday.

Tom

Last edited by TAI2; 05-21-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks tom...I've been treasurer of potomac region and was really confused by the original post blaming the track for not having tow trucks.....sounds like all was normal with proper safety and tow and op just....misinformed
Old 05-21-2015, 03:34 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Just watch out for this guy when you go back. White Honda

FF to 4:50.....

Old 05-21-2015, 04:20 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
Hi, this is NNJR's track Chair. Yes we rented flatbeds, ambulances, workers, etc...... and backups to all the above and then some.

On Friday there was a car that went off track (left) after Madness, hit the barrier and broke a rear spindle. For some reason the track left the car there and was going to retrieve it later. The driver and one of our CI's talked to MO at lunch about what they were going to do. The driver owned a repair shop and stated he thought he could limp it home. The car was to be brought out of there by MO and the car was off by the time we resumed after lunch, but I don’t know the exact method. In any case the driver stated his original preference.

Oh yeah, we provided coffee and donuts every day as well as beer and snacks on Friday.

Tom
Tom, I love your event. The hospitality is right up there with the best we run. It's a staple on my calendar EVERY single year. Your group has no part in the decline in the facilities and I very much enjoyed your coffee and donuts

However, I assure you there was no flatbed there on Saturday. If you paid for one you should request a refund from the towing company. They had 1 very old 1980's boom truck and two of the Mid Ohio Honda pull trucks but no flatbed. I personally had to hook up a truck and trailer in the pits to go retrieve a car for someone.

Dez: I kid you not, that line in T1 inside the exit curbing for the pits, is the same line that the winning car of the NASCAR Nationwide series ran last year. Those Acuras are the Mid Ohio school instructors.

Last edited by AudiOn19s; 05-21-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:27 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
Just watch out for this guy when you go back. White Honda

FF to 4:50.....
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Dez: I kid you not, that line in T1 inside the exit curbing for the pits, is the same line that the winning car of the NASCAR Nationwide series ran last year. Those Acuras are the Mid Ohio school instructors.
Yeah, not that I condone it, but I've seen that "move" a few times... especially when people try to go 4 wide at the start of a race. Meh... except you might get black flagged over it.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:34 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Thanks Der ABT.

Thanks Andy and I will speak to the track. Unfortunately they label it as "Flatbed/Tow Truck" in the contract.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:44 PM
wanna911
Race Car

What, they allow that there?!?!?!? How does one merge safely with that going on?

That has disaster written all over it. Well I know what line I'm taking next time I come back for TT if I'm in the front at the start of the session. Gotta be worth a second or more. An easy 26 with the shortcut.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Holy crap I have never seen anyone legitimately place their car there and not get dinged. That is considered off the track... Very very uncool IMO.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Holy crap I have never seen anyone legitimately place their car there and not get dinged. That is considered off the track... Very very uncool IMO.
+1,000

Even in pro races, I haven't seen that. For the last thirty years...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks like a couple of MO's instructor cars.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

It was Tommy Byrne!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Yep- FF to 1:55 or so. Commentators mention the different line started after the last restart. I remember watching it on TV amazed that they allowed it.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:28 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by provoste
Yep- FF to 1:55 or so. Commentators mention the different line started after the last restart. I remember watching it on TV amazed that they allowed it.
[/url]
So what happens at the start of a race there? Is it legal to drive there, at the start, because everyone will be everyplace on track and it could easily be the only escape lane that just happens to be a huge advantage too.

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio Race Course