Sponsored by:

Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps

Old 04-21-2015, 06:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Last year I walked between my 28ft. Pace that I had just disconnected from my dually. They were facing slightly downhill and as my trailing leg cleared the hitch the trailer rolled forward clipping my jeans and stopping when the cup buried itself into my rear bumper. I laid down on the ground staring up at that hitch and shaking for a few minutes contemplating what the rest of my life would have been like without my right leg. Yes I had forgotten to chalk the tires....
Reminds me of the time a few years ago, we were racing 24' keelboats(J24) pulled into the lot at Ft Adams, in Newport RI, for the Memorial Day regatta. Beautiful sunny, breezy afternoon. We were all standing around the back of the truck w/ our favorite beverage in hand before driving to the crane to put the boat in the water, Lo and behold the welds that connect the trailer V to the rest of the trailer part ways at the left front corner, opening a 6" gap.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:51 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Yup. I find at least one lug nut that's loose roughly every other trip.
Carry some spare lug nuts for the trailer in case the wheel flies off at speed. If you forget, taking one lug nut from each of the other 3 wheels will hold your spare on enough to get to the next exit and an auto parts store.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 489 Posts

Rule #12345 When you are all packed up after a hard days driving and are ready to set off for home, walk around the trailer and your tow vehicle one last time (and make sure that your Race Ramps are NOT still sitting there on the ground behind the trailer).
Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rule #10001 - Chock your wheels (with small 2x4) on the trailer so that if you are parked on a hill you don't have to burn your clutch to keep from rolling through the front of your trailer, or have your car resting against whatever is in the front of your trailer.

Rule # 10002 - strap your car down even if you only have to move the the trailer a few feet, car can and will slide in either direction opposed to direction of travel, or in the case of braking, directly towards the back window of your tow vehicle. (open trailer)

Rule #10003 - Drive slowly onto trailer ALWAYS, your splitters will thank you, and not explode on impact due to lack of clearance.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 PM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- After you unhitch the trailer from the ball don't drive off without undoing the chains, it makes an awful noise.

- Buy trailer tires early and often

- Sometimes it's better to refuse a kind offer of assistance to load up your car, it'll mess up your routine
Old 04-21-2015, 11:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

After settling the cup on the ball and closing the latch, use the trailer jack to try to lift the rear of the tow vehicle. If it lifts, your latch is probably working.
The time I forgot to do this is the time my boat trailer came loose from the ball and started to roll back down the hill. Good test of the safety chains.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:10 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypai
- After you unhitch the trailer from the ball don't drive off without undoing the chains, it makes an awful noise.

- Buy trailer tires early and often

- Sometimes it's better to refuse a kind offer of assistance to load up your car, it'll mess up your routine
ALWAYS check your assistant's work
Old 04-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile Excellent ideas....and...

Create a printed out check list and check things off, one at a time. I have a 3 page check list that I go through before heading to the track. Once I implemented this procedure, I have not forgotten anything.

I have a going out and return trailer check off list...I will be revising it a bit, stealing some good ideas from this post.
Attached Images
Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
After settling the cup on the ball and closing the latch, use the trailer jack to try to lift the rear of the tow vehicle. If it lifts, your latch is probably working.
The time I forgot to do this is the time my boat trailer came loose from the ball and started to roll back down the hill. Good test of the safety chains.
I did this back when I had a harbor fright tire trailer behind the 993. I dropped the trailer off the hitch onto the pavement just as I exited THE HOLLAND TUNNEL. In rush hour. Safety chains stopped the car like an anchor.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:29 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Not removing wheel straps before backing car off trailer can really **** you off.

Don't try to load your open trailer in the dark just because you have done it a million times, I have heard you might drive off the ramps.

Don't go to the drive thru at the bank while towing your trailer, they have no sense of humor when you clip the building --this one was not me
Old 04-23-2015, 02:27 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure your using the correct sized ball
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

As someone who's new to trailering, this thread is priceless. Thanks and keep them coming.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:05 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Wear gloves. Always.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Wear gloves. Always.
You don't want to leave incriminating finger prints.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:58 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

When hauling across a national border, make sure you have the registration for the trailer.
If the race car is street licensed, have that registration as well.
If not, have a copy of the title.
Some folks bring a list of the trailer's contents so they can prove they aren't selling the contents. So far that hasn't been a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer sense -- Tips, Tricks, and Traps