Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience owning a Radical or Wolf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:41 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something that I learned when at Spring Mountain when talking to one of the instructors about these cars is that apparently the chassis also is sensible to wear on these things, making it harder to get the geometry right. When driven hard for a long time (and considering all the g forces they are subjected too) the chassis can lose some of its stiffness. Not really a problem when learning how to drive these things, but it could be when you become skilled at driving it on the limit.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biko
I just bought a slightly used Caterham SP300R.
I am super stoked to see a SP300/R in person, always been a very interesting car to me. Look forward to meeting you. See you Friday
Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

radical sr3 at laguna: 1:24-1:26
997.2 cup at laguna 1:28-1:30

Basically 4 seconds faster a lap.

you can rebuld the engine and trans in a sr3 for the cost of 3 sets of tires of the cup.

tires for the sr3 are almost half price and last 3-4 times longer as do the brakes because the car is lighter.

I have driven both of these car extensively.

The drive TOTALLY different but to me thats half the fun. The radical is 100% easier to drive at the limit, the 997 cup truly shows car control and cajones.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you run those in separate run groups?

In Europe it's not easy to find organisations that allow these car to run in separate groups as most track days are open pitlane. Big issue is the visibility of these cars when sitting in a GT or touring car. Quite a few accidents happen each year when Radicals or other similar cars pass a slower GT car which didn't see they were there.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel

In Europe it's not easy to find organisations that allow these car to run in separate groups as most track days are open pitlane. Big issue is the visibility of these cars when sitting in a GT or touring car.
There's a lot of discussion (and regional variation on permitting that practice) here in the US.

Most track days do permit the mixing of "closed wheel" cars, including SR and GT (or sedans) with the strong caveat requesting better awareness and better etiquette between the two types.

As a former GT and sedan driver now totally besotted with SR's, I am VERY careful around GT cars, the result being no serious issues in a decade, but still being very vigilant. I have had a friend seriously injured when run over by a Mustang in his Norma...

This weekend, our race group is only formula and SR's, with the Enduro being mixed. My eyes are wide open!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Running offline. AKA making sure you are in the side view mirrors for a LONG time as the rearview misses low cars a lot.

Bright as things on the top of the rollbar (up to and including a flashing light).

And expect to take to the dirt at any time.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel

In Europe it's not easy to find organisations that allow these car to run in separate groups as most track days are open pitlane. Big issue is the visibility of these cars when sitting in a GT or touring car. Quite a few accidents happen each year when Radicals or other similar cars pass a slower GT car which didn't see they were there.
Yes...I've run our Radicals with my sons in a variety of track days/events. We've installed LED lighting strips on the top bar that make the car much easier to see. This puts something very bright & visible at the eye level of the majority of closed cockpit cars and/or sedans.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:25 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
Yes...I've run our Radicals with my sons in a variety of track days/events. We've installed LED lighting strips on the top bar that make the car much easier to see. This puts something very bright & visible at the eye level of the majority of closed cockpit cars and/or sedans.
Can you give some more details on the LED light strips you are using. I have been thinking of doing something similar. I keep my headlights on but having bright lights at eye level is a great idea.

Thanks,
Charley
Old 04-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Can you give some more details on the LED light strips you are using. I have been thinking of doing something similar. I keep my headlights on but having bright lights at eye level is a great idea.

Thanks,
Charley
If you can setup a strobe button for your headlights that would be a nice option too.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH

Thanks,
Charley
Charley,

I'm traveling & don't have a picture with me....the LED light strips are approx 3/4" tall and 18" wide and I've mounted mine on the lower edge of the hoop so it's slightly above & just aft of my head. The height is close to optimal...we were at a track event recently where someone was driving a former ARCA car...he commented that he could see us coming very clearly.

All the best,

Rick

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience owning a Radical or Wolf?