Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design the Best Balaclava

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

roger, i can try the medium one, i weight 175-180lbs.
i will be at road for the pca race at the end of march to give review
Old 03-06-2015, 10:44 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Do you know the blend of material on the ones that hold up the best?

Yeah, I had a lot of complaints on them being too thick, especially with Stilo helmets. I even talked with a couple of pros that stop wearing one altogether for the same reason. (not a good idea)

Thanks! Great info!
I have a Stilo Helmet and the only Balaclava that is somewhat comfortable is very thin.

My Ideal one would be thin and breathable. I always run mine under my chin as it drives me crazy to have it over my mouth.

Also I'd prefer one that is dark in color. The white ones look nasty pretty quick IMO.

I'd image if you made on that was thin/light that had a good elasticity to fit various head sizes and allows for flexibility for those that wear glasses you'd appeal to the masses.. Its a tall order but bottom line is your goal should be comfort w/o sacrificing safety.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:41 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Roger, I think you are seeing some comments from those that utilize the balaclava for fire safety and from those that use it primarily as means to help keep the helmet clean. A certain thickness and coverage is needed to protect the skin from fire.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:00 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
roger, i can try the medium one, i weight 175-180lbs.
i will be at road for the pca race at the end of march to give review
Those slots got taken pretty quickly. But email me your info...I'll put you down for the next round. Working on several different products this year. Thanks!
Originally Posted by 007DT
I have a Stilo Helmet and the only Balaclava that is somewhat comfortable is very thin.
My Ideal one would be thin and breathable. I always run mine under my chin as it drives me crazy to have it over my mouth.
Also I'd prefer one that is dark in color. The white ones look nasty pretty quick IMO.
I'd image if you made on that was thin/light that had a good elasticity to fit various head sizes and allows for flexibility for those that wear glasses you'd appeal to the masses.. Its a tall order but bottom line is your goal should be comfort w/o sacrificing safety.
Thanks Dave! I was watching the history of F1 last night and noticed that balaclavas haven't changed much over the years. Lots of opportunity to do one better.
Originally Posted by CCA
Roger, I think you are seeing some comments from those that utilize the balaclava for fire safety and from those that use it primarily as means to help keep the helmet clean. A certain thickness and coverage is needed to protect the skin from fire.
You hit the nail on the head. A good direction may be one for tight helmets that just need a safe barrier between the head and helmet...double layer where you need it, single layer where you don't...recommeded for full-faced helmets. And then offer a beefed up version for extra protection around the face and forehead. Both with updated creature comforts to accomodate glasses and ear bud jack.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
I know I commented about using my balaclava to keep my helmet clean but I also am required to wear one because of my facial hair. Additionally, I find it much more comfortable to put a helmet on with a balaclava - it doesn't feel like I am ripping my ears off!

Originally Posted by 007DT

+1 on this. I had a white one and it looked pretty gross after a few uses. Have a black one now and it is much nicer. At the end of the day I rinse it with cold water and lay it flat to dry so that it doesn't lose its shape.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:14 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger, I would like to see one with a way to work as a cool shirt type. The head is where the bulk of the heat issues stem from
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:29 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

roger, check out :
http://www.alpinestars.com/zx-balaclava#.VPq2ci5A83g
they revised these, i think for 2014. went from that thicker bulkier material that like sparco and most use, to a very whispy thin material. super nice. i bought 2. comes in black.
i think they are just perfect. there is a hole just big enough to fit the end of your ear buds through. and being thin, it driers very quickly.
u should grab one to review and compare.

ZX Balaclava
Alpinestars ZX Series balaclavas are constructed with Lenzing FR®; an innovative natural viscose fiber that affords exceptional flame resistance and protection against heat transfer. This Formula 1 specification underwear is extremely lightweight and thin, while being incredibly soft to the touch for greatly enhanced comfort when wearing your helmet.
$69.95
Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sleder
Roger, I would like to see one with a way to work as a cool shirt type. The head is where the bulk of the heat issues stem from
Thanks.
Can talk about that yet...
Originally Posted by spg993tt
roger, check out :
http://www.alpinestars.com/zx-balaclava#.VPq2ci5A83g
they revised these, i think for 2014. went from that thicker bulkier material that like sparco and most use, to a very whispy thin material. super nice. i bought 2. comes in black.
i think they are just perfect. there is a hole just big enough to fit the end of your ear buds through. and being thin, it driers very quickly.
u should grab one to review and compare.

ZX Balaclava
Alpinestars ZX Series balaclavas are constructed with Lenzing FR®; an innovative natural viscose fiber that affords exceptional flame resistance and protection against heat transfer. This Formula 1 specification underwear is extremely lightweight and thin, while being incredibly soft to the touch for greatly enhanced comfort when wearing your helmet.
$69.95
I have two.
They are the best yet IMO. It is Lenzing FR blend, double layer around the front half and single in the rear. Viscose is a fantastic way to start any blend as it naturally does not melt or drip. It's the technology behind our underwear.

The ones I have the hole is too high for the earbuds though...about mouth level (thought it was for drinking). Is your lower?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Roger,

I have one of those also. Same comment on the hole. I think they made it for a drink tube. Its located close to my mouth.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Yep, the hole on the front of the Astars balaclava is intended for a drink tube. Agreed, the Astars ZX balaclava is a nice one.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:19 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Roger,

I have one of those also. Same comment on the hole. I think they made it for a drink tube. Its located close to my mouth.
Originally Posted by Carrera51
Yep, the hole on the front of the Astars balaclava is intended for a drink tube. Agreed, the Astars ZX balaclava is a nice one.
That's what I thought. Thanks guys!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:22 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Can talk about that yet...
😃 I would love to see something like this as well. My friend has the shirt with the helmet extension, and loves it. If there was a way to tap it into an existing shirt, that might be a great thing too.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-13-2015, 11:26 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by linzman
😃 I would love to see something like this as well. My friend has the shirt with the helmet extension, and loves it. If there was a way to tap it into an existing shirt, that might be a great thing too.

That's exactly what we are working on..but more comfy than tubes..and SFI!

BTW, both versions of our TG COOLSHIRT have passed SFI with flying colors! Woohoo! Super excited about the future! I really get a kick out of designing things and you guys are instrumental! THANK YOU!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM
captdownshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both versions of our TG COOLSHIRT have passed SFI with flying colors!
This is awesome news
Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

BTW, both versions of our TG COOLSHIRT have passed SFI with flying colors! Woohoo! Super excited about the future! I really get a kick out of designing things and you guys are instrumental! THANK YOU!
I got to try out the TG Coolshirt and I was very impressed. The fit was nice and tight, the quality was outstanding, it was super comfortable, and it's an SFI rated long sleeve shirt. Perfect for a hot DE day by itself, or another SFI layer under a suit for racing or DE. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see what the "hooded" one will look like.

Quick Reply: Design the Best Balaclava