Design the Best Balaclava

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Do you know the blend of material on the ones that hold up the best?

Yeah, I had a lot of complaints on them being too thick, especially with Stilo helmets. I even talked with a couple of pros that stop wearing one altogether for the same reason. (not a good idea)

Thanks! Great info!
Curious how much the Stand21 adds to the thickness. Side to side is generally not a probably - for me it is front to back.

I took a brand new Stilo helmet to Sebring, and when the balaclava bunched up it exerted so much pressure on the front of my forehead I felt like I was going to through up and had to come in. I have the largest size helmet they make. One of the coaches worked the front of the helmet pad with the back of a screwdriver and I made sure to position my balaclava correctly.

It is amazing how a thin piece of material can feel like a wooden block in terms of exerting pressure.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:52 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow thanks guys! Just got back today from NASCAR team BK Racing. Did a turn and burn to Charlotte yesterday. Huge opportunities there! They love our stuff.

I'm working up a Beta Program for new products and would like you guys to help out...especially ones that have offered advice here and in the past. It is vital to get good feedback from people like us. I'm an avid driver, but I certainly don't have all the answers and I believe that the best product ideas come from the people that use them. As I said before, TraqGear is about making things better, not just putting our name on an item to have something to sell.

Anyway, with that said, please PM me if you are interested in the Beta Program. Currently, I have two Podium model LCG prototypes that I would like to get someone to try. The are moisture wicking, antimicrobial and fire retardant...so a safe alternative to almost evertything out there. My goal is to have a safe, performing shirt at a cost that is very attractive.

One is an XL, so good if you are about a XXL in a normal shirt.
The other is a medium, so good if you are normally a large. They need to fit tight.

Preferrably, someone that can try them in the next few weeks, no longer than 3 weeks for feedback. No cost, no strings..just honest feedback. It pays to be a Rennlist member!!
Attached Images   

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-04-2015, 03:58 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CCA
I think the Sparco was just a little smaller. I have one of the soft-touch and a Carmyth. The Carmyth is less stretchy than the other but still fits okay. A little too much bulk around the neck though on both. These are some of the problems with "one size fits all" garments. For reference wear a Med helmet and have a 15-15.5 neck.
Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
We just received our first batch of the new stand21 lid lifters. They are new so we have not received any feedback on them yet.

http://http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2755.htm

This is much better than the eject system that can break or expires. Plus emergency personnel need a special pump to operate the eject

The stand21 lid lifter requires no tools and is very simple to use

I think if you could incorporate some type of helmet removal along with something to accommodate eyeglasses, it would be a win-win for all
Thanks Clark! You see tons of feedback and I really appreciate your input. I will work on a model that helps eject the helmet..didn't about the fact that the old system expires. In reference to CCA's comment, do you think 2 different sizes are needed? Please let us know the reaction to Stand 21's model.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:02 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I have one. I can't wear it with my helmet as it makes the front of the helmet way too tight. I'm happy to mail it to you if you want to check it out.
Matt do you have a Stilo?
Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Funny, My niece made a headsock like that for me over 3 years ago. It is an obvious innovation and no doctor helped me design it.

IMO headsocks fit fine if you buy your helmet with your headsock on. The problem sounds like here people bought shoes then decided to wear socks. Nothing is going to make those shoes more comfortable. You got to put your socks on then try on the shoes if you want a great fit.
Good point. Don't think I've ever tried one on with a hood at purchase point.
Originally Posted by greenfrog
I have seen the stand21 lid lifters at a safety session at MSX. The speaker asked me to help with a demo. It works really simple and really well. Just pull the two loops horizontally and the helmet pops up easily. It does not exert any pulling force on the neck which could be a life saver after an accident.
Looking at the lid lifter, could that be added to any balaclava? Looks like a stand alone deal.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:18 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by coryf
I wear prescription sunglasses. It is a little difficult getting the arms to slip in past the balaclava with my stilo helmet but doable. I pull down the opening primarily so I can use the drink bottle. Haven't had an issue with seams but none on top seems like a good idea.
Yep, I have the same issue with Stilo...really tight and it's the biggest size the have. Do you use a bite valve or just the tube? Good luck this weekend at COTA!
Originally Posted by spg993tt
ive tried a number. my favorite are the new alpinestars. for me, i like them super thin and there is something with that alpinestars material that makes it whispy thin, almost feels like it wouldnt be compliant, fire proof, but it is.
then i would make sure there is a hole in the mouth area for the earbud 1/8" plug to come through head out to the plug in on the helmet. i might even put a small flap over that earbud exit hold so once you push the plug through, some material lays down on top of it and somewhat covers that hole.
Is that the new ZX model? I like that one too compared to all the others. They run a double layer on the front and single on the back. Thanks for the feedback!
Originally Posted by PPo
I bring this up because I believe in race cars that the balaclava part that is covered by the helmet does NOT need to be as thick as the places that are not covered by the helmet. Specifically, the area around the largest circumference of the head, and the top of the head... do we really need extra layers if it is already covered in a helmet?
Totally tracking with you on this. I would like the head portion (inside the helmet) to be light and breathable as possilbe and double layer around the neck where we need it the most.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:27 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe
The sunglasses/eyeglass issue is for me the biggest one. I hate wearing the damn things because of how difficult it is to get my prescription sunglasses on.
A lot of complaints about this. Possible solutions? Holes right below the temples for glasses? Flap of material for them to be inserted? In both cases it would have to line up correctly on your head to work well.

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
OT- wouldn't mind the plastic sun visor to be 1/4 inch thick. Existing one's are flimsy. Mike
No clue what you said Mike...all I can see is your avatar. #superdistractions
Originally Posted by Carrera51
I still wear the same basic OMP single layer, single eye port balaclava I've had for 8 years. I've never had issues with comfort when using it. something more form fitting would be nice but I don't think it would be cost effective since we all have different shaped heads.
Maybe make 2 sizes? Call me Mark. Wanted to chat with you anyway about another issue.
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Curious how much the Stand21 adds to the thickness. Side to side is generally not a probably - for me it is front to back.
I took a brand new Stilo helmet to Sebring, and when the balaclava bunched up it exerted so much pressure on the front of my forehead I felt like I was going to through up and had to come in. I have the largest size helmet they make. One of the coaches worked the front of the helmet pad with the back of a screwdriver and I made sure to position my balaclava correctly.
It is amazing how a thin piece of material can feel like a wooden block in terms of exerting pressure.
The Stilo will loosen up a little, but not much. I still look like someone punched me in the face after a race.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:55 PM
vr4henry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be down for a beard friendly + glasses balaclava. I'm always pulling mine down around mouth and getting poor coverage there and around eyes from fiddling with glasses.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Wow thanks guys! Just got back today from NASCAR team BK Racing. Did a turn and burn to Charlotte yesterday. Huge opportunities there! They love our stuff.

I'm working up a Beta Program for new products and would like you guys to help out...especially ones that have offered advice here and in the past. It is vital to get good feedback from people like us. I'm an avid driver, but I certainly don't have all the answers and I believe that the best product ideas come from the people that use them. As I said before, TraqGear is about making things better, not just putting our name on an item to have something to sell.

Anyway, with that said, please PM me if you are interested in the Beta Program. Currently, I have two Podium model LCG prototypes that I would like to get someone to try. The are moisture wicking, antimicrobial and fire retardant...so a safe alternative to almost evertything out there. My goal is to have a safe, performing shirt at a cost that is very attractive.

One is an XL, so good if you are about a XXL in a normal shirt.
The other is a medium, so good if you are normally a large. They need to fit tight.

Preferrably, someone that can try them in the next few weeks, no longer than 3 weeks for feedback. No cost, no strings..just honest feedback. It pays to be a Rennlist member!!
Well, I'm an XXL but sadly my first day on the track will be 4/7. Lime Rock early April I would probably want to put hot water through the tubes!

Looking forward to your perfecting this. Just remember to start work on the shorts soon! Potential slogan - "Protect all your parts!"
Old 03-05-2015, 08:29 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by vr4henry
I'd be down for a beard friendly + glasses balaclava. I'm always pulling mine down around mouth and getting poor coverage there and around eyes from fiddling with glasses.
Man...glasses are big deal. Thanks!
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Well, I'm an XXL but sadly my first day on the track will be 4/7. Lime Rock early April I would probably want to put hot water through the tubes!
Looking forward to your perfecting this. Just remember to start work on the shorts soon! Potential slogan - "Protect all your parts!"
Ha! That's true...doesn't take long to get warm in the car though.

Shoot me your addy to rogerburdette@gmail.com and let me get you on the Beta list. We are always making new ones and perfecting things.

Good news/bad news on the bottoms. New material won't be ready until April 27th for them. So, I should have the first round on May 1st..we'll start taking preorders in April. BUT, since all the delays I've finally secured a wonderful, comfortable waistband that is safe and SFI approved!! It is way better than wrapping elastic inside material. I've tested different ones for 8 months and this one is it!! Funny thing is that none of the FR Nomex would pass SFI. Only the viscose based ones performed well with flammability tests, which is way more comfy on the skin. Not to mention, they look SO much better. Super excited! God watched out for us on this one!!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 AM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

The seams in my Omp balaclavas that run down the center of my forehead drive me crazy. I have one from a different source without the seam which gets the use.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KevinGross
The seams in my Omp balaclavas that run down the center of my forehead drive me crazy. I have one from a different source without the seam which gets the use.
Def will eliminate the middle forehead seam. That one is easy.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:17 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 325 Posts

Another prescription glasses wearer. Never in a million years could i get s Stilo helmet on.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Another prescription glasses wearer. Never in a million years could i get s Stilo helmet on.
Cool thanks! What do you wear (helmet) if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 325 Posts

Cool thanks! What do you wear (helmet) if you don't mind me asking?
HJC. Spent over an hour last year at Stable Energies trying on helmets. Only the HJC and some of the Bell's fit. Then i take the helmet (and balaclava) to the eye glass store when it's time to switch LOL. the joys of wearing glasses.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:57 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Helmet fitments

HJC and Stilo tend to fit more oval shaped heads. Bell is kind of in the middle. Zamp/Gforce tend to fit more round shaped heads. It pays to try them on!

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook

Quick Reply: Design the Best Balaclava