Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
Frank,
Still happy with this?
Very happy except for the brake pedal feel. It's too stiff with not enough travel right now. My son told me he'd fix that for me. Fell free to come by and try it out sometime.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Very happy except for the brake pedal feel. It's too stiff with not enough travel right now. My son told me he'd fix that for me. Fell free to come by and try it out sometime.
Frank, is it the Perfect Pedal on a G27? If so, using a small syringe to remove some of the fluid is the procedure for turning it into a "GT" pedal feel from a "formula/prototype" pedal feel.

Dan, there are a number of folks I've recommended this vendor and setup to and none of them have been disappointed. It's inexpensive for what it is, the Velocity Micro systems are killer (and the fellow that owns the company tracks a 991 Turbo) and the support is good.

Most vendors that sell the parts to put one of these together don't provide much if any after sales support. Main Performance is good, but again, they don't really sell turn-key systems, only individual, optimized components that YOU put together. The Sim Seats setup is designed, built, sold and supported as a finished product. And the next price point up is Virtual GT or Chris Considine's CXC equipment...

For the more casual sim driver, the Sim Seats system works very well.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

$5K for a ready to go system with full support behind it is a darn good deal IMO.. you going virtual Dan?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I am virtual Gary. Virtually what is up for discussion at this point
Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Frank that brake sounds like 7 Cup
Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
I am virtual Gary. Virtually what is up for discussion at this point

Let me know if you need any assistance, I can even build you a high end sim computer for a lot less than buying one built (with the same specs)...
Old 01-05-2017, 11:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
$5K for a ready to go system with full support behind it is a darn good deal IMO..
As somebody who has built, used and sold these inexpensive simulators for nearly twenty years, the issue for end users is not the selection of components or even establishing a budget, it's making sure it all works together, to start with. More importantly, making sure this collection of components and software KEEPS working together so that it is a seamless experience, rather than something you have to screw with all the time.

Like everything else, it's the transition between geeky users who have climbed the steep learning curve to the people that want to use it as a resource and learning tool, without "issues," that is the hard part.

For those with no (or not much) budget limitations, there are good solutions like Thomas Maher, Kyle Marcelli and Chris Considine. But for most of us, the ability to buy a turn-key, static (adding motion can easily triple the initial investment) sim that "just works" is really important.

There is no shortage of places to buy individual components, and I recommend a wide variety of components for every budget that enterprising, savvy folks can spend time putting together and fettling JUST like a car , but the turn-key solutions are rare, especially with adequate support. This is why consoles are so popular (XBOX One, PS4 Pro), but you can't beat the PC platforms for realism, graphical detail and configurability, both in the software, hardware and display options.

Do you need Oculus Rift, Vive or triple screens to have an effective tool? No, but they do increase the immersion. My teaching units are simple VisionRacer VR3 and Fanatec Rennsport Cockpits with state of the art PC's and good, but not over the top, hardware. One HS a single screen and is more than adequate for doing lead-follow or hosting virtual private track walks for one or a group of drivers (in the comfort of their own home or shop).

It's a worthwhile option for many drivers, with a learning curve that can be close to being as steep as IRL (in real life). I urge folks to look at it as they do their own driving, not to jump into online racing quickly (if at all), but use it for familiarization and practice on tracks they've never been to or tracks they know well... it's been proven to be valuable for many folks.

For some, it's worth a trip to GPX Lab in Miami, CXC in SoCal or Earthbound Flying Machines in the Pacific Northwest, just to sample using the more advanced simulators with the oversight and assistance of experienced leaders in the field, like Jeff Segal (GPX), Chris Considine (CXC) and Eric Purcell (EFM). Just a visit and a discussion can clarify many questions and provide answers. There are some new ventures in the Boston area, as well.

Good stuff and proof there are reasonable, economical and practical solutions for those folks not wanting to spend a fortune.

In money OR in time spent...
Old 01-05-2017, 01:12 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It's a worthwhile option for many drivers, with a learning curve that can be close to being as steep as IRL (in real life). I urge folks to look at it as they do their own driving, not to jump into online racing quickly (if at all), but use it for familiarization and practice on tracks they've never been to or tracks they know well... it's been proven to be valuable for many folks.
Great post and I agree with most of it. But as a self serving plug for our little iracing league I think actually competing online teaches a lot of skills that can be better learned in the safety of a sim. Racing's not the first step as you need to get comfortable in the sim and able to run consistent laps, but if a sim is going to be used for racing training, then why not include the parts that translate directly to real world racing. I'm referring to emotional control, mental focus, and strategy. Throwing a pass on someone online is as exhilarating as it is in real life for me and controlling that emotion and refocusing while the car is filling my mirrors translates directly to the real world. Setting up a pass a few corners in advance is something you can only really do with a competitor who is a real human. Following closely behind another car and not getting tunnel vision to the bumper is yet another skill that you need other real people on the virtual track for.

I trust our league members to make better decisions on track than I do the local racers at the real track, and I'm confident that it's from the 30+ races we do every year online.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JustinL
Great post and I agree with most of it. But as a self serving plug for our little iracing league

Racing's not the first step as you need to get comfortable in the sim and able to run consistent laps, but if a sim is going to be used for racing training, then why not include the parts that translate directly to real world racing. I'm referring to emotional control, mental focus, and strategy.

I trust our league members to make better decisions on track than I do the local racers at the real track, and I'm confident that it's from the 30+ races we do every year online.
Hahaha! The thing that makes YOUR online racing league work is that everyone gets to know who they're racing with!

You're right. On all counts.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Great post and I agree with most of it. But as a self serving plug for our little iracing league I think actually competing online teaches a lot of skills that can be better learned in the safety of a sim. Racing's not the first step as you need to get comfortable in the sim and able to run consistent laps, but if a sim is going to be used for racing training, then why not include the parts that translate directly to real world racing. I'm referring to emotional control, mental focus, and strategy. Throwing a pass on someone online is as exhilarating as it is in real life for me and controlling that emotion and refocusing while the car is filling my mirrors translates directly to the real world. Setting up a pass a few corners in advance is something you can only really do with a competitor who is a real human. Following closely behind another car and not getting tunnel vision to the bumper is yet another skill that you need other real people on the virtual track for.

Agreed!

Pretty sure my gloves and seat are still a little sweaty from last night's run LOL!

IMO the MENTAL aspects are the PRIMARY thing you learn in a simulator. Not car control, not the track, etc. Obviously they are things you learn too but the mental stuff is where I feel I get the MOST out of simracing. Consistency, operating under pressure, hitting my marks, recovering from mistakes, learning to breathe and relax, etc.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The way I win online races is staying ON TRACK!

Here's a nice little portable setup coming out soon: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonyk.../#12ec7937a886
Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

The way I win online races is staying ON TRACK!

Here's a nice little portable setup coming out soon: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonyk.../#12ec7937a886
Hahaha yes attrition does seem to play a big role in our league nights Speaking of.... why don't you come out and join us? Chicken? Bok bok booook!

I dig that triple monitor laptop. I'd never use it for gaming but damn I'd love something like that for work!
Old 01-05-2017, 02:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Very happy except for the brake pedal feel. It's too stiff with not enough travel right now. My son told me he'd fix that for me.
This will fix it, too.

http://www.perfectpedal.com/products...stment_kit.php
Old 01-05-2017, 02:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Speaking of.... why don't you come out and join us? Chicken? Bok bok booook!
Hahaha! Hey, I suck. At least I'm honest. Seriously, I will do that this year.

Putting together my seat, button boxes (DSP) and pedal assembly (CSP V3) right now.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:24 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Hahaha! Hey, I suck. At least I'm honest. Seriously, I will do that this year.

Putting together my seat, button boxes (DSP) and pedal assembly (CSP V3) right now.
The more the merrier. Bigger groups make it more fun for everybody.

Quick Reply: Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software