Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 07:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2016, 08:04 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

Fantastic
Old 01-01-2017, 02:27 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Got that email - excited to try it out!
Old 01-01-2017, 04:14 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Thanks guys.

I've gotten a couple of PMs, would love to have a day were several individuals could come by and put the simulator through its paces. It's still a prototype and as such still has bugs but hoping with help from pro and novice drivers I can make it better.

Please PM me if you're in the CT Fairfield county area so we can put it through it paces and I can further develop.

I'll update this post from time to time as I'm working with Kunos to make it better.

Also, while not as pretty or finished as gpxs simulator, I have a few differentiating factors that make my simulator stand out. A couple I can't speak about yet.

Thanks
WOW that's a hell of a setup!!!!

First thing I noticed when watching the lap of the Nurb - you need front fenders (or some kind of cutout to block the view you'd normally lose with fenders there).
Old 01-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
WOW that's a hell of a setup!!!!

First thing I noticed when watching the lap of the Nurb - you need front fenders (or some kind of cutout to block the view you'd normally lose with fenders there).
Actually you don't see that normally, the GoPro sits about 4 inches over my head. Usually you don't see the front fenders in full from the normal seating position. Depending on your height of course. I like my seating poisition low, with the top of the wheel even with the tip of my nose.

I've also added a cowl to represent where the hood lip would be to further enhance the realism. I'll have video up soon with the additional changes.

The prototype is constantly evolving and I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great sim LLMK!

Did try the simcraft. The most impressive thing was the full motion and accuracy of the track. The bumps at Mosport are a huge factor in determining how and where to do things. The program was very accurate.

Braking was nearly impossible to 'feel'

https://vimeo.com/91272399
Old 01-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah simcraft are great even though I think they're more suited to flight sims. I've tried all motion systems out there and nothing replicates a cars suspension better than Dbox. The tactile and motion they provide are unparalleled. The surface of the road and curb strips especially feel real. That is what differentiates Dbox vs. any other motion system.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks guys.

I've gotten a couple of PMs, would love to have a day were several individuals could come by and put the simulator through its paces. It's still a prototype and as such still has bugs but hoping with help from pro and novice drivers I can make it better.

Please PM me if you're in the CT Fairfield county area so we can put it through it paces and I can further develop.

I'll update this post from time to time as I'm working with Kunos to make it better.

Also, while not as pretty or finished as gpxs simulator, I have a few differentiating factors that make my simulator stand out. A couple I can't speak about yet.

Thanks
This looks incredible. Great work. I'm in CT (west central). I would love to give this a try if possible.

Kunos as in the Kunos from Assetto Corsa?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hsmith
This looks incredible. Great work. I'm in CT (west central). I would love to give this a try if possible.

Kunos as in the Kunos from Assetto Corsa?
Yes, I have a good friend who knows them personally. They love my rig so I'm trying to get official support.

In the meantime I'm working hard on rifining the prototype. Adjusting camera angles, motion profiles, steering angles, and projection warps, etc.

I'm looking to get a couple guys with driving experience as well as novice drivers. All welcome to help in my development. The prototype is rough around the edges but keeps getting better.

PM me so we can setup some driving time.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:48 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I have a good friend who knows them personally. They love my rig so I'm trying to get official support.

In the meantime I'm working hard on rifining the prototype. Adjusting camera angles, motion profiles, steering angles, and projection warps, etc.

I'm looking to get a couple guys with driving experience as well as novice drivers. All welcome to help in my development. The prototype is rough around the edges but keeps getting better.

PM me so we can setup some driving time.
That would be very impressive if you get support from Kunos.

PM sent.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Lumbergs - if you haven't already, you might reach out to Naid @ Crimson Simulation for his feedback as well. He's in Norwalk.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

That's a win for iRacing, bet they just port over the RUF car with a couple tweeks though. What i'd like to see now is "iRacing Classic" with old 911's, Alfa's, Ferrari's, Lotus's, etc....
Old 01-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Lumbergs - if you haven't already, you might reach out to Naid @ Crimson Simulation for his feedback as well. He's in Norwalk.
Yup, Naid has been over and helped with initial testing. He's coming back this week.

Spoke to RFactor 2 Dev today, some things cooking!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM
marcus1249
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Lumberg, that set up looks amazing! I'm in CT (New Haven area) and would love to give it a try some time!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
This is what I got:

Sim Seats
Frank,
Still happy with this?

Quick Reply: Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software