Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

OK, I ordered this:

Obutto R3Volution rig with Triple Monitor Stand

CSL Elite Wheel Base

ClubSport steering wheel Porsche 918 RSR

ClubSport Pedals V3

ClubSport Pedals V3 Damper Kit

ClubSport Shifter

Shopping for a gaming computer and monitors. I have a call into Main Performance for the PC.

Is 144 hz the way to go on the monitors?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:29 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Was having force feedback problems, just updated my firmware and its all better. Lots of good info here. I have a PlaySeat Forza seat with a Fanatec GT2 wheel (works w PC, Playstation and Xbox) and V2 Clubsport pedals, and the Playseat mount for the shifter. The controls are awesome, the seat is a little flimsy, but very adjustable. Currently use a 50" tv which is mounted too high, but his thread has inspired me to create my own triple monitor set up. I'm thinking of sandwiching a metal plate between the wheel and the mounting shelf that the wheel bolts to, and buying a clamp on triple monitor stand that is meant to clamp to a desk. Anyone done this? Am i missing something? Would 24" monitors be a good size for this setup?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2017, 12:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Yes, 144 Hz refresh is the way to go on monitors.

I would also call Velocity Micro, myself.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-13-2017, 12:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Thanks Peter. In a real car, I love the tuning... but I jump in my "sim" maybe once a month (essentially a G27 on a wheelstandpro), and don't want to bother with adjustments and tweeking. I think i'll go with the perfect pedal. Just got on iracing after about a year (since I sold my SPB to Scott )... took a while for all the updates. To my surprise, Nurburgring was now available. Holy cow... that track is nuts. New item now on my track bucket list.
Just to be clear - the HE pedals don't require "constant" tuning. They're just highly configurable for travel, stiffness, and deadzone. Generally once you set it, you leave it alone.

I messed with mine a bit. If anybody winds up with a set, I'm happy to share my configuration and settings to spare you from the "fiddle with it" phase. Pedal has some squish to it (so it feels "right" when under hard braking) but also has a small amount of dead space at the top, which nicely simulates the travel the pads make to the rotors.

Originally Posted by Yellow996
OK, I ordered this:

Obutto R3Volution rig with Triple Monitor Stand

CSL Elite Wheel Base

ClubSport steering wheel Porsche 918 RSR

ClubSport Pedals V3

ClubSport Pedals V3 Damper Kit

ClubSport Shifter

Shopping for a gaming computer and monitors. I have a call into Main Performance for the PC.

Is 144 hz the way to go on the monitors?
Not a bad pile of hardware there. Should feel great when it's all hooked up. Main PC is good - knowledgeable guy, good support.

If you're going triples, then as I understand it, the higher the refresh rate, the better.

Just make sure that you've got the horsepower in the PC to be able to drive them. A 144Hz monitor is gonna want 144+FPS at all times, as far as I understand.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

1080 GTX should do the trick. No need for Titan X.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Just to be clear - the HE pedals don't require "constant" tuning.
Was talking about the V3's vs the PP. Prefer the PP to "set and forget."
Old 01-13-2017, 01:06 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Just to be clear - the HE pedals don't require "constant" tuning. They're just highly configurable for travel, stiffness, and deadzone. Generally once you set it, you leave it alone.

I messed with mine a bit. If anybody winds up with a set, I'm happy to share my configuration and settings to spare you from the "fiddle with it" phase. Pedal has some squish to it (so it feels "right" when under hard braking) but also has a small amount of dead space at the top, which nicely simulates the travel the pads make to the rotors.

Not a bad pile of hardware there. Should feel great when it's all hooked up. Main PC is good - knowledgeable guy, good support.

If you're going triples, then as I understand it, the higher the refresh rate, the better.

Just make sure that you've got the horsepower in the PC to be able to drive them. A 144Hz monitor is gonna want 144+FPS at all times, as far as I understand.
72 fps frame rate would work well too then

I'd give VR a test run. The resolution is acceptable but terrible vs. triples and a few get motion sickness (especially with bad settings or in the first week or so). However, it's in 3D and you have head tracking so you may get a better sense of immersion. I prefer it overall.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Refresh rate has an effect on motion sickness. Quicker refresh rate = less latency = less disconnect.

My experience, especially over the last ten years of coaching people on simulators, parallels the military. A fair percentage of people have difficulty tolerating seeing things move, but not having their inner ear tell them they are moving. There are many ways to ameliorate this, and many go on to become comfortable after being uncomfortable. Triples are harder to get used to than single display. VR is somewhere in between. I do prefer VR, but I spent a lot of time getting is right. For most casual simmers, one good 27" or more (but not too much more) will do just fine.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I have triples at 120hz and that's a pretty sweet setup. I don't think I could ever go back to a single monitor and if I was starting over I might go straight to VR as 3 120hz monitors is pricey. I have the DK2 oculus and I tolerate the low resolution ok, but it's the ergonomics that get to me. My face gets pretty sore after 20 minutes. I wish someone would make sim helmet that we could recycle our old outdated helmets into VR systems. My other problem with VR is the 'getting the sh*t scared out of me factor' when my wife needs to get my attention. I would run VR full time if those issues weren't there.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
My other problem with VR is the 'getting the sh*t scared out of me factor' when my wife needs to get my attention. I would run VR full time if those issues weren't there.
LOL that is indeed a concern. I have that same problem.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JustinL
I wish someone would make sim helmet that we could recycle our old outdated helmets into VR systems.
Hmmm... I have a DK2 and a Rift lying around...
Old 01-13-2017, 02:44 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Refresh rate has an effect on motion sickness. Quicker refresh rate = less latency = less disconnect.
VR is awesome when it does not make you sick. I put together a VR capable rig last summer with a top of the line PC with the i7 CPU, 16 GB of RAM and the 1080 GPU with the Vive VR headset. I only have middle of the road Fanatec clubsport V2 wheel and V3 pedals (with the damper), and as much as I would have liked to have had higher end wheels and pedals, I needed to control my costs of the sim somewhere and purposely choose to use middle of the road controllers versus the high end gear. However if I do an hardware upgrade soon, next to be replaced would be the use better pedals. My Fanatec V3s aren't bad. But they are also far from realistic.

Initially I could only use Project Cars in VR. But then in the 3rd quarter of 2016 iRacing began supporting the Vive headset. I did not suffer any motion sickness at all in Project Cars, but I did suffer some in iRacing. Nothing major. As long as I kept the car moving and on the track in iRacing, all went well. It was the sudden stops in iRacing that effected me. If I went off track and into a wall in iRacing, it was the sudden stop in VR that seemed to scramble my brain and triggered some minor motion sickness. Of course had I gone off track and hit a wall in the real world, the sudden stop might have done more to me than just trigger some motion sickness. haha

I need to get back into playing with my VR sim. Lately I have been doing other things with my spare time, like trying to teach myself Spanish. Hablas Espanol? Tal vez un poco? Ahora quiero unas cervasas, pero todavía estoy en el trabajo ... jaja.

Anyway VR racing is the bomb when you are not suffering from motion sickness. You actually feel like you are in the cars. I even saved some replays from some of my Project Cars races (a GT race as well as a Formula Renault race) and for people who are not the most talented with racing and/or new to sim racing, they can put on my VR headset replay the race and they get to experience the race almost the same as when I did the race. It's really funny with the GT race replay where I am driving a Porsche RUF car. You can stick your head out the window in the middle of the race looking around at the others cars just as a dog likes to stick their heads out of the windows of real world moving cars. It's a great way for people new to sim racing to experience VR without needing to worry about car control.

Last edited by My993C2; 01-13-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

OK, I ordered:

ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150
Video Card: NVIDIA | GTX 1080 8GB
Storage Drive 1: SSD | Intel 530 Series 240GB
Storage Drive 2: HDD | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Triple Screen Adapters: 2x MiniDP/DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link Adapter
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Keyboard: Microsoft K&M Combo
Headset: Logitech G35 Headset

And Three:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/conten...l/UM.FG6AA.B01

Peter, if my wife asks, all of the above cost less than $1000 total.

Actually, with my move from GTB1 to SPB, I'm funding this entire project using the money I save by not using Pirellis for two race weekends.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Yellow996
Peter, if my wife asks, all of the above cost less than $1000 total.

Actually, with my move from GTB1 to SPB, I'm funding this entire project using the money I save by not using Pirellis for two race weekends.
Hahaha! David, haven't you asked me to say that before?

Your full complement of computer and gear will serve you very well for many years. Congrats!
Old 01-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
1080 GTX should do the trick. No need for Titan X.
That's friggin hilarious... "No need" describes 95% of what all these guys are buying!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software