Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:43 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Single Axle Trailer?

I am looking at the following trailer:
http://www.trailerworld.com/2015-alu...-d8t%7Chm.html

Is a single axle just a bad idea? In my past life I've had a two car steel, a nice double axle aluminum from Trailerworld and a Trailex. However, I stopped going to the track a few years back due to family commitments and sold everything. I am picking it back up on a very limited basis this year, maybe 3-4 events...HPDE only.

I'd love to have another Trailex, but it's not worth the $$ for me for a new one and the used ones sell about 15 minutes after they are listed. Frankly they aren't very good for what I need right now anyway as this trailer will have to serve double duty hauling a big ZTR and lawn equipment back and forth to the farm so a solid deck is better.

I've had single axle utility trailers before, but never a car trailer. It's a Boxster being pulled by a supercharged Tacoma so lighter is better. I won't be taking tons of gear this time around either....at least nothing that would not fit in the bed of the Taco.

Anyone done much car hauling with a single axle before?
Old 02-28-2015, 04:02 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I took a look at single axle because my tow rig limits me to open trailers, but went in a different direction. Some things to consider:
  1. You've only got two wheels holding your precious cargo. The likelihood of an accident in a blowout is that much higher.
  2. Reduced braking capability.
  3. The short deck of the trailer prevents you from balancing your car and hitting the appropriate tongue weight.
  4. There's really zero space or weight capacity for carrying tools, spares, or fuel.

I spent $4500 plus ship to get an R&R trailer in 2013, model 716CHA. The manufacturer is in Michigan and I had it shipped to NY for about $750. I chose an open deck but they come standard with a closed deck and they are relatively light. Here's the PDF of the specs for their open car haulers:

http://www.aluminumtrailers.org/wp-c...uler-Specs.pdf

I got a tool box, removable fender, mounted spare tire, and a few other goodies in that price. I can haul about 5800# worth of vehicle, spares, etc. and the deck length allows me to position my 911 or Cayman in an ideal spot to get the tongue weight I need. The construction is welded, very high quality, and attractive. The ramps bolt on to the front of the deck and create a nice stone guard for the car. Weight is about 100# more than the trailer you're looking at, and from what I can tell the cost difference is about $500.

Best of luck and tow safe,
Mark
Old 02-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I've lost trailer tires on a few occasions, usually on a busy freeway with no safe shoulder. I wouldn't consider anything but a tandem axle myself.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:44 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google trailer tires and read stories about all the failures before you decide on a single axle.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had a boat trailer with a single axle tire blow out and it was not pretty. The safety margin with a two axles is much better, and the loading on the tires is 50% less.

The money saved now will be long forgotten when something goes wrong.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:05 PM
j patterson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years of pulling inboard ski boats to and from tournaments. They weigh about 3000 lbs. My trailer is single axle and I always ran E load rated tires and never had a blowout. A friend had a double axle and the same boat and he ran regular car tires and had few failures. This single axle trailer IS tempting. I will be far easier to manuver than a double axle. BUT as stated , it will have less ability to manage tongue weight. I would think it would be ideal for a Lotus but might be a bit marginal for a Cayman. A double axle will be a bit more stable when being pulled by a smallish vehicle like your Tacoma.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Get a used dual axle aluminum trailer and thank us later.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Get a used dual axle aluminum trailer and thank us later.
Easier said than done. Used aluminum trailers are rare as hen's teeth, sell within minutes and those that don't are listed for about 90-110% of the value of a new one. (Yes, I've seen used trailers listed for more than I could purchase a new one).

I had been hunting for one the past 3 months and finally went to my ATC dealer last week and bought a new one.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:07 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Some good thoughts here confirming what I was already thinking. Going to go with a double axle. I just need to keep looking.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
Some good thoughts here confirming what I was already thinking. Going to go with a double axle. I just need to keep looking.
Patience! Keep looking out for a good used one. The winter months are good to buy. Spring and Sumer is the best time to sell a trailer.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As others here have said, you'll regret buying a single axle trailer.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:17 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mts
What's your price range?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by number9ine
What's your price range?
About $4000-$4500 all in for aluminum if I go that route. The issue is when I find used ones they either sell immediately or are beat to hell and by the time you put the $$ into them to get them in nice condition you have almost as much/more in them than a new one would cost.

I am actually leaning toward having a new custom dual axle steel one with removable fenders done at this point. Price point is low and with a treated wood deck they are still way under the tow capacity of the Tacoma. Probably more than adequate for towing 3-5 times a year plus I wouldn't be as worried about it when using it for the lawn equipment. Plus I can have it done local which is a definite advantage. Still thinking.......
Old 03-02-2015, 10:28 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout
Easier said than done. Used aluminum trailers are rare as hen's teeth, sell within minutes and those that don't are listed for about 90-110% of the value of a new one. (Yes, I've seen used trailers listed for more than I could purchase a new one).

I had been hunting for one the past 3 months and finally went to my ATC dealer last week and bought a new one.
I bought a nice used example off of Rennlist just a few months ago. Patience...
Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

I think I may get one of these:

http://www.randpcarriages.com/rnr/ca...cha-model.html

Using the ramps as a debris blocker seems really clever. I've checked around and they seem really well built. Cost new is similar to or less than a used Featherlight or Trailex (I've owned both of those and liked them). Cost is also similar to the single axle I listed at the start of this thread.

Quick Reply: Single Axle Trailer?