Sim Racing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:27 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sim Racing...

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2015/02...-about-porsche

Sorry if this may be the wrong forum but I thought I should start here. I saw this article and I shared the disappointment that EA are hogging Porsche, and Porsche not letting go of EA. I have been a fan of sim racing now for quite some time. I currently run iRacing, Asetto Corsa, and soon Project Cars, all on PC. As a "Porsche fan" I'd love to race some of the historic cars, modern street cars, cup cars, and LMP cars. Its quite a shame there aren't much Porsche content in these sims as much as Ruf have taken the stage with their limited cars. I would love to see Porsche in these titles. I posted this article on Porsches FB page, and I can only hope this gains traction. Now, I saw how RL and other online forums could be powerful to pressure someone. I saw it especially when there was the stop sale on the 991 GT3 and certain people in certain countries didn't receive compensation fairly as others have. Granted, that this is not the same case, but I saw how powerful a forum can be. If any of you have guidance, or share that same feelings, maybe something can be done about this. Let me know what you think below so I can gage some of the responses. Hope to hear from you all!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:25 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree 100% with your post. It's just utter nonsense for a brand like Porsche with such racing heritage to restrict itself to stupid arcade racing games for the $$$.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:53 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Fellows, it's all about the money. Porsche requires so much in licensing fees that folks like iRacing and Assetto Corsa don't see the point in paying when everyone else is nominal in their fees or gives it to them. EA is (was) so rich, they gladly paid it, and to protect their "investment" signed an exclusive, perhaps.

It's a licensing thing, and Porsche must feel they don't "need" the additional exposure...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-11-2015, 11:08 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Fellows, it's all about the money. Porsche requires so much in licensing fees that folks like iRacing and Assetto Corsa don't see the point in paying when everyone else is nominal in their fees or gives it to them.
I don't think that's the point. The exclusivity deal was signed years before iRacing or Assetto Corsa even existed.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forza 3 has a full spectrum of classic to modern Porsches.
Forza 4 also has them but it's a $20 download.

The physics on these games isn't Gran Turismo level (my personal favorite to be honest, having driven all of the aforementioned simulators - simply because the GT6 tire model is the closest thing to reality I have yet to find).

However, the cars really do feel like they do in real life - that's where Forza has the advantage over other games, despite its physics shortcomings.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cretinx

The physics on these games isn't Gran Turismo level (my personal favorite to be honest, having driven all of the aforementioned simulators - simply because the GT6 tire model is the closest thing to reality I have yet to find).

However, the cars really do feel like they do in real life - that's where Forza has the advantage over other games, despite its physics shortcomings.
I guess that you haven't tried iRacing yet...

Anyway, it would be nice to have Porsche on iRacing. Especially the 919. Of course, the GT3Cup would make a nice addition and a great one make serie - which is the case actually with the Ruf. But there is no racing interior. Just makes the car strange compared with the other GT3 cars.

c.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
I guess that you haven't tried iRacing yet... Anyway, it would be nice to have Porsche on iRacing. Especially the 919. Of course, the GT3Cup would make a nice addition and a great one make serie - which is the case actually with the Ruf. But there is no racing interior. Just makes the car strange compared with the other GT3 cars. c.
I configured the Ruf C-spec (or was it the RWD it's not the Track nor the GT2 RS wannabe) to shift sequentially via the "sequential shifter" no aids no auto blip, very 997 Cup car! Super immersive experience!

I also ran that Honda LMP2 on Spa both day and night. All I could think about I wish I could run a 919! Damn you EA!
Old 02-12-2015, 04:27 AM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OT:

I can't tell if you are serious or trolling. Please link some details of how GT6's tire model works, how it is superior to the others, and the supporting data behind a single car's physics.

In your eyes what makes GT closest to reality?

EA has always been a bitch like this.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:52 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

It's the other way around. The Nissan GT-R's tire model is based on GT6
Old 02-12-2015, 11:50 AM
cretinx
Racer

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
I guess that you haven't tried iRacing yet...

Anyway, it would be nice to have Porsche on iRacing. Especially the 919. Of course, the GT3Cup would make a nice addition and a great one make serie - which is the case actually with the Ruf. But there is no racing interior. Just makes the car strange compared with the other GT3 cars.

c.
I spent 8 weeks on iRacing preparing for a 24-hour endurance race at VIR.

I felt like iRacing's physics were good but the tire model was a joke. Can't stand it.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:53 AM
cretinx
Racer

Originally Posted by lordpantsington
OT:

I can't tell if you are serious or trolling. Please link some details of how GT6's tire model works, how it is superior to the others, and the supporting data behind a single car's physics.

In your eyes what makes GT closest to reality?

EA has always been a bitch like this.
Because I'm entitled to a subjective opinion.

Based on my 8 years of autocross and wheel-to-wheel racing experience.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:21 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I spent 8 weeks on iRacing preparing for a 24-hour endurance race at VIR.

I felt like iRacing's physics were good but the tire model was a joke. Can't stand it.
I agree that iRacing isn't "the best" when it comes to simulating a car's behaviour. Try correcting when going into oversteer. It's the only sim I tested so far (and I did drive in quite a few) where it's nearly impossible to catch oversteer. All of the sudden the backend grips, the car snaps violently in the other direction and off you go into the wall.
I never encounter this behaviour in Assetto Corsa, rFactor, Race07, ....
Old 02-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, in response to the tire models and understeering and snap oversteer, each car in iRacing need to be tuned properly in order to behave properly. Sometimes the base set-up is ok, but most of the time it doesn't fit my driving style.

Last night I was racing the SRF and I was catching big slides, it was totally crazy and very realistic. I can also do that with the Ruf, up to a certain extent.

I do race with my son on GT6 and I can't feel it close to iRacing at all. Same G27 wheel...

JMHO

c.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:12 AM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Because I'm entitled to a subjective opinion.

Based on my 8 years of autocross and wheel-to-wheel racing experience.

Your opinion all fine and dandy, certainly entitled to it, but I'm looking for something more than just opinion. If it is just feel, in relation to your realworld experience, how do you know it is specifically the tire model that makes it so superior?

My last experience with GT seemed to glorify drifting the car as the fastest way around a track. Arcadey at best.

Also:
http://www.caradisiac.com/GT-Academy...urse-89173.htm

Take a look at that 2nd picture.
http://images.caradisiac.com/images/...rse-302709.jpg Why are they using a different sim for GT academy? Sort of erodes the legitimacy of their simulation.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:15 PM
car_slave
Pro

Charles, thought I saw you in the SRF the other night. That's the only car drive on iRacing because it feels the most realistic to me. Running Barber this week - quite a challenge

Quick Reply: Sim Racing...