Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sim Racing...

Old 02-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about the Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 Italia racing wheel and pedal setup?

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/pr...italia-edition

I want a good quality PC racing wheel that is also compatible with the Xbox One, so that I can play Forza with my young nephews. This one is compatible with both PC and Xbox One, but I'd like to hear if it's a quality product; or if there are better recommeded options that are compatible with both (FYI, G27 is not compatible with Xbox One).

Thanks.
I hear it is a very good choice, but the pedals seem flimsy to me. There are other options but they go up in price, Fanatec GT2 wheel or Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel but these do not come with pedals which have to be purchased seperatly.

Paging Charles Toupin... he just purchased one.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I bought that the day it was available. I spoke to Fred Russell at Turn 10 and he recommended it.

The pedals are flimsy, but the FF is pretty good.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-23-2015, 04:37 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm obviously very pro-iracing. I almost exclusively drive the Ruf 'track' car in races, but dabble in other cars pretty frequently for practice. Having never driven any of the cars in real life it's hard to make direct comparisons, but to me the cars feel right based on cars I have driven. With a crap setup the cars do in fact drive like crap... and the baseline sets for many of the cars are crap. I jumped into a Cadillac fixed setup practice last night and thought it was broken because I was pushing way too hard on cold tires, once they warmed up, it felt great. Iracing rewards patience and practice.

What iracing does that other Sims don't is give you a competitive structure. It can be very hard on your ego if you are used to winning and struggle with being thrown into a global pool of excellent drivers. Our Rennlist league started off a bit rocky with lots of contact and a wide spread in speeds of the drivers, but now I reckon that we've got a very good pool of talent and very clean races.

I believe that if you're fast in the sim, you can be fast in real life and vice versa if you're fast in real life you can be fast in the sim. It will take practice to transition either way.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Reviews are so split about Project Cars it's crazy. How did you try it? it's not out yet and the only version for testing that I know of is a very old and buggy version.
I tried it at the distributor for rSeat in Dubai. He is also a contributor. He had me try out the Formula Seat although I bought the RS1. Anyway, it was beginning of September 2014 when I gave it a go. I tried out an FG1000 on Dubai Autodrome (superb circuit btw). From the few laps I turned, the car felt great and I was immersed in the experience. As I started to push the car, the chassis began to move around and I could make steering adjustments that felt quite natural. The track was very accurate in its geometry, in which all corners felt they were most accurate to the real track. Each corner had the correct radius, or very very close. I also tried out a Z4 GT3 and I shared the same sentiments about the car's behavior.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about the Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 Italia racing wheel and pedal setup? http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/pr...italia-edition I want a good quality PC racing wheel that is also compatible with the Xbox One, so that I can play Forza with my young nephews. This one is compatible with both PC and Xbox One, but I'd like to hear if it's a quality product; or if there are better recommeded options that are compatible with both (FYI, G27 is not compatible with Xbox One). Thanks.
As far as I know, the Thrustmaster TX is the only wheel at the moment that works with Xbox one. I hear that Fanatec will have an add on wheel specifically for Xbox one comparability.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustinL
I'm obviously very pro-iracing. I almost exclusively drive the Ruf 'track' car in races, but dabble in other cars pretty frequently for practice. Having never driven any of the cars in real life it's hard to make direct comparisons, but to me the cars feel right based on cars I have driven. With a crap setup the cars do in fact drive like crap... and the baseline sets for many of the cars are crap. I jumped into a Cadillac fixed setup practice last night and thought it was broken because I was pushing way too hard on cold tires, once they warmed up, it felt great. Iracing rewards patience and practice. What iracing does that other Sims don't is give you a competitive structure. It can be very hard on your ego if you are used to winning and struggle with being thrown into a global pool of excellent drivers. Our Rennlist league started off a bit rocky with lots of contact and a wide spread in speeds of the drivers, but now I reckon that we've got a very good pool of talent and very clean races. I believe that if you're fast in the sim, you can be fast in real life and vice versa if you're fast in real life you can be fast in the sim. It will take practice to transition either way.
I would love to race with you guys on iRacing. How can I get in the league? Or connect with you guys?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does support xbox

Old 02-23-2015, 05:11 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
I really wish I could test drive a Gen3. I've been looking to move out of Porsche racing to go either SRF or FF1600.

On iRacing with a good set-up you can slide the SRF like crazy and catch the slide without ending in the wall. That said, the car feels really rear heavy. I guess that with the new Fiesta engine, the weight repartition is better. Is it?

c.
My Gen3 will be ready in a few weeks. I have only been racing the SRF for 1.5 yrs but i feel the real car handles way better, iracing seems like way to much oversteer and you cant catch it without doing a few tank slappers.

You should check out specracer.com there are some good deals on cars for conversions right now.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I really like my TX wheel. I also bought the GTE wheel because I thought the 458 wheel was too plasticky. But I haven't tried lots of wheels. I had a G27 before. They are totally different. I'm faster with the TX, as the G27 was moving too much in my hands. There is less communication with the TX, but proper communication.

I kept my G27 pedals with Perfect Pedal and I'm happy with this set-up. I don't plan any upgrades so far.

c.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
My Gen3 will be ready in a few weeks. I have only been racing the SRF for 1.5 yrs but i feel the real car handles way better, iracing seems like way to much oversteer and you cant catch it without doing a few tank slappers.

You should check out specracer.com there are some good deals on cars for conversions right now.
Will do!

You Gen3 should even be better in terms of handling! I really outta test and race one.

c.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:30 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I would love to race with you guys on iRacing. How can I get in the league? Or connect with you guys?
PM me your iracing name and I'll add you to the league. We race Wednesday evenings and take a break over the summer. There's a sticky in this forum with lots of information.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
+1 I'm not as fast as Sysgen in the RUF but the Mx5 is one of the few cars that is easy to dive with a baseline setup. You can pretty much drift the thing around the track if you want to.
You have to throw that thing around to make it corner, otherwise it is understeer hell.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:36 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sysgen
All the other "Games" feel just like that, a game, I've tried so many and they are all too easy to drive, iRacing is the only one I feel is as close as real life you can get, but you have to tweak it, like a real car.
Well that's the thing I don't get sometimes with iRacing. It's not because it is hard that it is realistic

What I really don't understand is how bad some cars drive in base spec. Ok you can make a car drive a lot better with a good setup IRL too, but the base spec feels as if you take a car IRL and just completely put random numbers in the geometry. The difference between good and bad seems 10 times worse in iRacing than in real life, unless the car IRL was assembled by a blind man.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:37 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I must say that I enjoyed driving the Ruf Track Spec around Suzuka, that car felt pretty good (just a bit too much understeer, but I just downloaded some setup, I am no setup fiddler myself )
Old 02-23-2015, 05:39 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by JustinL
What iracing does that other Sims don't is give you a competitive structure.
This is so true and the big selling point for me. No sim gives you the same amount of stress when racing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sim Racing...