Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts
Default New Video Camera with Data

I know lots of people want video with data on it, but can't afford a camera like the AiM Smartycam HD. Here is an HD video solution with data. It takes one extra step over the Smartycam HD, but gives HD quality video with speed, G forces, and a track map.

The camera is the Roadhawk. It's a small lightweight camera with the GPS built in. An external GPS antenna is included for situations where the camera can't get a good signal. The camera has a 1/4-20 mount in the bottom so it can be mounted with all popular camera mounts or used the supplied adhesive window mount. Power is supplied through an included cigarette lighter plug, which automatically turns the camera on and off with the supplied power. The camera starts recording when power is supplied.

For the data on the video, when played through the included software, the speed, G forces, and Google map are automatically displayed. If you want a video to include them with gauges and the map on the video itself, you have to do that with RaceRender. The great thing is that RaceRender automatically identifies the data and puts it on the video. It's really 1 click easy.

This is a standalone camera and will not take anything other than an external microphone input (for things like Chatterbox instructing). It's an amazing camera for the price of $245 (includes shipping).

The screen shots below are the spec sheet, camera setting window, video playback software, and RaceRender import screen.

If you're interested in ordering one, email me at Matt@trailbrake.net
Attached Images     
Old 02-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What is all that white stuff in the background?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
What is all that white stuff in the background?
You don't remember that from you time up here? It's anti-drought.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

Do they offer any form of case/lens protector? I'm interested specifically for my sons' Radicals. Neither of them have camera right now and this seems like an ideal thing.

Also, if I buy...I'll expect technical assistance on how to mess with their data to make it look like they're actually slower than I am!!!

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 02-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rick
Matt,

Do they offer any form of case/lens protector? I'm interested specifically for my sons' Radicals. Neither of them have camera right now and this seems like an ideal thing.

Also, if I buy...I'll expect technical assistance on how to mess with their data to make it look like they're actually slower than I am!!!

Thanks much,

Rick
No case or lens protectors on these. They are pretty very simple because of the price point. I would say on a Radical, exposed to the elements and debris, might be too much for these units. They were really designed to be in a closed cockpit car.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Will it integrate with a traqmate?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

It should.

Matt said power-on recording, power-off stop, so yes.

Might have to make up a cable.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-04-2015, 08:21 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

How frequently does the GPS update and is the software available for Mac?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Will it integrate with a traqmate?
I'm not familiar with Traqmate, so I don't know what it needs to integrate. This camera starts recording once it gets power. I don't know if there is a delay or anything.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
How frequently does the GPS update and is the software available for Mac?
The GPS is 5Hz. Yes, there is Mac software that comes with it. It's compatible with OSX 10.1 or higher.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

In Traqmate, there is a programmable delay for the onset of recording, because most cameras have between 1-4 seconds between power and recording. Just set it where the TraqStudio sync is correct.

The Traqmate TraqDash and the Sensor Unit can send 12V to the camera to turn it on, it turns off when power is lifted. Very simple. You'd need pinouts and make a cable but it's pretty straight forward.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
In Traqmate, there is a programmable delay for the onset of recording, because most cameras have between 1-4 seconds between power and recording. Just set it where the TraqStudio sync is correct.

The Traqmate TraqDash and the Sensor Unit can send 12V to the camera to turn it on, it turns off when power is lifted. Very simple. You'd need pinouts and make a cable but it's pretty straight forward.
It should work then if you change out the cigarette lighter plug for whatever the Traqmate needs.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Seems promising. Perhaps there will be further development of similar products at around that price point.

It will be great someday to have something like this with a simple, yet elegant UI.

I think for this field to really take off, it needs to have more opportunities for folks that don't want to look at squiggly lines or type in a bunch of dots and slashes on their keyboards. And without needing to understand the term codec, et cetera.

Perhaps in this thread or another we will see some feedback on this, perhaps with a step by step set of screens and pictures.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I think for this field to really take off, it needs to have more opportunities for folks that don't want to look at squiggly lines or type in a bunch of dots and slashes on their keyboards. And without needing to understand the term codec, et cetera.
That already exists, perhaps not at this low a price point. Just need to know where to look...

Personally, I've not been operationally successful with the low end cameras like Mobius/Replay/GoPro/ActionCam.

But this sounds cool...
Old 02-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Seems promising. Perhaps there will be further development of similar products at around that price point.

It will be great someday to have something like this with a simple, yet elegant UI.

Perhaps in this thread or another we will see some feedback on this, perhaps with a step by step set of screens and pictures.
You don't need to know anything special with this camera. Open the video file in the supplied software and watch it with G forces and speed. The window also has a Google map with it. This is as easy as it gets.

If you want to go further, you can use RaceRender to make ideas but it's not required.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Video Camera with Data