mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Dave, that's a great video.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed that fisheye too. Would annoy me. Resolution and clarity is fantastic though. I have two GoPro Hero 3 silvers that work very well. The worst part though is that I bought the remote thinking I could control them easily. It absolutely sucks, the things turn the wifi on and off by themselves all the time, even when you have disabled the wireless in the settings on the camera. Waste of money for glitchy programming. Other than that though I like them. I like the wide angle. Seems to work best right behind the seat on the harness bar of the cage or half cage.

Put the GoPro 3 in the same location in the race car, turn spot metering and it would even better than that Sony unless that is just a grainy resolution pic....... The placement in the other car is the problem, there is a lit area right in front of the camera, and then the dark cabin, and then another lit area. Dunno if you would ever get something useful out of that.

Spot metering is a must though.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:48 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have mentioned, there is a setting for changing the focal view to a more narrow wide-angle view. Still, I think the camera is too far back for a GoPro, the other camera looks like the better option. I have my GoPro just over my right shoulder and any further back I get the same issues you're seeing. Also, if you use a lot of the extensions the camera will shake a bit.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wanna911
I noticed that fisheye too. Would annoy me. Resolution and clarity is fantastic though. I have two GoPro Hero 3 silvers that work very well. The worst part though is that I bought the remote thinking I could control them easily. It absolutely sucks, the things turn the wifi on and off by themselves all the time, even when you have disabled the wireless in the settings on the camera. Waste of money for glitchy programming. Other than that though I like them. I like the wide angle. Seems to work best right behind the seat on the harness bar of the cage or half cage.

Put the GoPro 3 in the same location in the race car, turn spot metering and it would even better than that Sony unless that is just a grainy resolution pic....... The placement in the other car is the problem, there is a lit area right in front of the camera, and then the dark cabin, and then another lit area. Dunno if you would ever get something useful out of that.

I have the same issues with my Hero3. It's a shame because I have a Hero2 as well and it's been nothing but reliable. I've been thinking of stocking up on Hero2s on craigslist and ebay.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Hero 3 roll bar mount behind seat.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hero 3 roll bar mount behind seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47HdCPl8Tdg
That looks pretty darn good!

what was the FOV setting?

My 3 pics are hand held phone shot with my iphone on the computer image, so not representive to the quality . the sony is best, but the gopro3 is good too. but that fish eye is pretty extreme. the middle pic, is the very old go pro with much less of a wide angle, but the quality of the picture is no where near the sony.

sounds like I might need to get the "spot" engaged and then play with the resolution settings for field of view.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:00 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by mark kibort
That looks pretty darn good!

what was the FOV setting?

It says W next to the camera on the display so I'm assuming wide. Although I have no idea how to change that unless it just changes with the resolution. There is no menu setting that I'm aware of.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Good information here. Lots of easily noticeable fish eye in the video shot on the drift camera though. But it was cool to actually see where all of the cameras were mounted in that video. I liked the results from the rollbar mount the best.
There are 3 FOV settings- 170, 127 and 90 degrees. The 170 setting is handy aimed out back even when mounted on the dash as you can see the sides as well. Potentially useful if someone says they were door to door with you. Same with 127 out the front, but for purists, good ol' 90 is there too.

It really is a great camera and their support is excellent. My son's camera would not handshake with the remote so they sent a new remote (then a replacement camera) before we even returned the units we had. I think they are out of the UK.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Here is another non GoPro solution. I'll have stock of them tomorrow and can get a video up then. These cameras are HD, 120* FOW, GPS enabled for speed and G force display on the video real time, and can auto start/stop. Pricing will be $245 (edited) each. It's not Smartycam HD quality in video or product, but it's a terrific solution for people who don't want to spend the $999 on a SCHD.

Sample Video from the manufacturer.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Roadhawk G680 Camera.pdf (340.6 KB, 682 views)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:00 PM
wanna911
Race Car

That looks fantastic! How do you align it, or make sure it's pointing in the right direction?
Old 02-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That looks fantastic! How do you align it, or make sure it's pointing in the right direction?
I'll post up some more details tomorrow when I have a unit to put up pictures with the post.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:30 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

No wonder I lost my AXE by buying GoPro Stock!
Old 02-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There is no special way to aim it, so it's align by the outside. The camera has a nice square, parallel top and bottom along with straight sides, so it's really pretty easy to aim.

Check out all the details at https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...with-data.html
Old 02-04-2015, 05:38 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
There is no special way to aim it, so it's align by the outside. The camera has a nice square, parallel top and bottom along with straight sides, so it's really pretty easy to aim.

Check out all the details at https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...with-data.html
Unless there is some sort of correction or alignment setting, if the camera isn't pointed exactly straight forward, as it is in the video in post #20 of this thread, the accelerometer data will be off. Also if you point the camera backwards, the data will be backwards. I use Harry's on my phone and mount my phone to a panel that is angled towards the driver. All of my g-force data is a bit off.

Last edited by odb812; 02-04-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

just got a response from GoPro... There is a FOV setting in the settings area of the camera's menu.

Quick Reply: Go pro vs traditional digital in car cameras