Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight reduction - how do I get my BBQ down to 2800 lbs?? - Ghettobaker

Old 08-21-2003, 12:52 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Weight reduction - how do I get my BBQ down to 2800 lbs?? - Ghettobaker

I want to get some weight off the BBQ. I've already done the basics - titanium grill, carbon Fibre gas bottle, lightweight hose and thinner glass in the peephole on the lid - but what now?? I'm thinking lightweight wheels? Do Fikse do any that would suit my 'King of the Hill 2000' - I think they are 4" by 2" rims - or BBS might do a magnesium set? Maybe some Recaro's or Sparco's to replace the heavy, adjustable lounger on the deck??

Suggestions??
Old 08-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi John:

You might consider a beryllium-copper handle and titanium wheels,.........
Old 08-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You need to call master grill-technician Robert Lintel. He has all the right parts. Spendy, but well worth it for a professional grill man.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:33 PM
bystander
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you call Bert? I heard he always has lots of goodies and great ideas.. Although he's in Europe everyone says his service and prices are very good. ..
Old 08-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Hubert
Instructor

I recently ordered : Ti grill top and Ti tongs, should shave seconds there -- especially in making trail braking (flipping) more facile. I've also replaced the gas line with a high pressure braided (stainless steel)piece in conjunction with a dry sump gas chamber unit to maintain more even gas pressure during prolonged high load grilling.

The difference is night and day.

All items from Bert at carnivores.de

ps: I've also ordered the carbon back deck chairs and GS (grill Sport) grill roll bar (safety first), and always wear my red grillari nomex grill suit.

Last edited by Hubert; 08-21-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:06 PM
DAR951
Pro

Default Re: Weight reduction - how do I get my BBQ down to 2800 lbs?? - Ghettobaker

Originally posted by johnfm
I want to get some weight off the BBQ.
Suggestions??
Two Words: "Acid Dip" (not to be confused with "French Dip") And the residual may actually improve that trail-baked, quick-turn flare-up flavor...
Old 08-21-2003, 07:55 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone tried the PSS-9's (Professional Saucing System) with adjustable sways from Bert at carnivore??

I've also heard that Steve Weener at Grillsport Systems is really good for chips, but my King of The Hill C2 is OBD 1 (Overcooked Barbecue Detection)....will it be compatible....

...and what about the crappy 91 octane BBQ gas on the west coast....
Old 08-21-2003, 08:08 PM
bystander
AutoX

you're forgetting a good exhaust system from Tobin Dun...
Old 08-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, before you spend a bundle of money on grill mods, you probably would be better off going to a commercial grill school. They combine some classroom work with increasingly intensive grill work. The instructors can give you good feedback on your techniques and you take take these skills with you when you get another grill.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Hubert
Instructor

johnfm: i have the ruf ( radical uber - fryer) pss - 9 saucing system, and the adjustable anti leg sway bars. And, I must say, it literally made my grill "spring" to life; rolling it around the backyard, I've noticed much less grill-roll, crisper positioning (in my favorite grilling spot), and much imporved "look" as it now has a more pronounced stance. Not to mention the improvement in the garnishing of said sausages. I've not yet tried the grillsport chips on my Uber GT2 griller, but have heard good things about the "king of the hill C2" upgrades that are available. PS: About the gas... I usually sneak in a few drops of 110 into my dry sump gassing system.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hubert
PS: About the gas... I usually sneak in a few drops of 110 into my dry sump gassing system.
Don't forget the burner bia adjuster.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Hubert
Instructor

Originally posted by Geo
Don't forget the burner bias adjuster.
Absouloutly. From what I've read it's a great add-on, but only really accessible at the upper echelon of grilling. Any experienced "skippy BarBerQ grilling academy" grads care to comment on the proper calibration of this device?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Another suggestion I'd offer is to consider our soon-to-be-released Twin-Turbo upgrade,....

We're using a matched pair of manually adjustable KKK (krispy kreme kahunas) K-15's and a proprietary GIS (grille injection system) to enhance cooking times when going "whole hog" here. You'll be able to set the boost pressure,..er, grille temperature anywhere from 250 deg F to over 1800 deg F.

The special multi-fueled GIS management system will handle 91 to 98 octane fuels, LPG, and alcohol/hydrazine blends.

This unique and totally proprietary system will allow you to "do" a 100 lb Chateaubriand in under 5 minutes.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:34 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The twin turbo might be good for the "whole hog", but I thought we were trying to grill a "TURKEY".
Old 08-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Hubert
Instructor

Colm: i've been following the TT development closely... I believe there's a soon to be released bovine (i.e. donkey) griller.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weight reduction - how do I get my BBQ down to 2800 lbs?? - Ghettobaker