Sponsored by:

Another trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:26 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another trailer question

I have pretty much decided that I want to get a 24' enclosed gooseneck trailer. I am leaning towards one of the three following but I am open to suggestions: Featherlite 1641, Featherlite 4941, or the TPD Vortech.

The 4941 would be the most expensive of the 3. It is 50% more than the 1641 and weighs 1,000 lbs more. The TPD is heavier still being steel and would come out in between in price.

I worry that the 1641 at 3500 lbs may not hold up. But I like the idea of spending less and towing less weight.

I'm sure this group has many opinions. Let them fly.

By the way: I have two tow vehicles to choose from a 2002 Ford F250 crew cab diesel manual transmission and a 2015 Ford F450 extended cab V10 gasoline auto trans. And my track cars are a 1987 944 turbo and a 2003 Ruf 3600S.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Last edited by rluciano; 11-23-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: we needed a verb.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:29 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think you can get a gooseneck in that small of a size.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:32 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking at an old price list, the smallest gooseneck that TPD sells is a 26'.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:37 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Sorry TPD would call it a 32'. Featherlite doesn't count the space in the gooseneck nose.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:39 PM
cup951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given your tow choice of tow vehicles and limited use (not commercial), no need for weight savings. We have owned three united trailers to haul cupcakes and spares and they have treated us well. My two suggestions get the heavy duty axles with the 16 inch wheels that allow for the heavy duty tires. Less likely to blow out. Second, if you order with an access door on both sides, it makes it very easy to park at the track and you'll appreciate the access from either side of the trailer .
Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The one thing I have noticed with my trailer is how fast it has filled up with stuff other than race car. Get the one with the heaviest carrying capacity axles you can get. You have 2 heavy duty vehicles to choose from, you really don't need to worry about tongue weight, so why aluminum?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
The one thing I have noticed with my trailer is how fast it has filled up with stuff other than race car. Get the one with the heaviest carrying capacity axles you can get. You have 2 heavy duty vehicles to choose from, you really don't need to worry about tongue weight, so why aluminum?
And 2-4 feet longer than you think you need
Old 11-23-2014, 05:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

if your 24' = 24' clr + 8' attic then it's fine.
but you are paying 6-10000 more for GN without benefit.
a good bumperpull TPD or featherlight at 24' clear can easily be pulled by ur tow vehicle
if you want GN, i would do AT LEAST 28+8.
i have 20, 24 bumper pull and 28+8, 30+8, 36+8 GN. GN is way better but cost more. and if you are paying for the GN go with 28+8 min. and thank me later..

the FIRST day i used my 28+8, i realized it was too small!!!
now i find my 36+8 too small.
add 4' to what you think is too big then you be just a tad too small. this is not a joke.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:29 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

When you go to an enclosed trailer, you end up hauling a LOT more stuff than you were with an open one. That tends to make the weight savings from aluminum much less on a percentage basis. In addition, the advantage you have of being able to move an empty open trailer by hand when it is aluminum dissapears when you go enclosed. Short story, the weight savings on an aluminum enclosed trailer is not as much of a benefit.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:28 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Originally Posted by mglobe
When you go to an enclosed trailer, you end up hauling a LOT more stuff than you were with an open one. That tends to make the weight savings from aluminum much less on a percentage basis. In addition, the advantage you have of being able to move an empty open trailer by hand when it is aluminum dissapears when you go enclosed. Short story, the weight savings on an aluminum enclosed trailer is not as much of a benefit.
Ok Mike, maybe not aluminum. I was hoping when Bluebonnet is built to have a garage there and actually haul less with me. But we'll see.

Originally Posted by mooty
if your 24' = 24' clr + 8' attic then it's fine.
but you are paying 6-10000 more for GN without benefit.
a good bumperpull TPD or featherlight at 24' clear can easily be pulled by ur tow vehicle
if you want GN, i would do AT LEAST 28+8.
i have 20, 24 bumper pull and 28+8, 30+8, 36+8 GN. GN is way better but cost more. and if you are paying for the GN go with 28+8 min. and thank me later..

the FIRST day i used my 28+8, i realized it was too small!!!
now i find my 36+8 too small.
add 4' to what you think is too big then you be just a tad too small. this is not a joke.
Mooty,

Why do you say no benefit to a gooseneck? It is easier to pull, more stable, easier to reverse. I don't think I'd go longer than 28 + 8 ft. That is the size of my longer cattle trailer. Fueling is a pain in a truck / trailer combo that long. Longer would eliminate a lot of potential fuel stops.

Why did you think 28+8 was too small the first time you used it?

Originally Posted by Chaos
And 2-4 feet longer than you think you need
Chaos,

That's what I did. I am using a 16' open trailer now. The spare wheels and tools are in the backseat of the truck. My stuff is in the passenger seat. I could probably fit everything I have in the truck now in the nose of the gooseneck. That would leave me with 8 additional feet of trailer. I figured I'll want a little more space around the car to do the tie-downs and all.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:04 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

R.L. I've farmed my entire life and have different views regarding trailers.

28' is a good length for a race trailer for 99% of us. We're not hauling spare engines and front clips and just don't need more than that (don't want less either).

A 28" aluminum tag is the ****s. Light, large enough and easier to get into most fueling spots than a 28+8 GN as you don't need that much swing angle...the same goes for backing. For most work, I prefer the tag.

Yes, the GN tows a bit more nicely, but a properly balanced tag hung on a decent truck (and Equalizer bars) tows very well indeed. The GN also really wants a dually, which is cool, but they are a pain in the *** once the trailer gets dropped off in the paddock. Motel and restaurant parking lots are often a hassle with the dually; virtually everything you do with it when it is not hooked up is tougher.

At 28', we're just not hauling enough weight to justify the hassles and cost of the same length (+8) GN, which also requires a LWB truck (again, more hassle in tight parking away from the track).

Quick Reply: Another trailer question