Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best cordless impact wrench

Old 11-16-2014, 09:43 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Another vote for the Milwaukee 18V. Indestructable, variable speed, and the battery lasts an amazingly long time (if you get the larger of the two options). Just get the friction ring model. The pin retainer model I have requires a small tool to push that in to get sockets off, which is a minor pain.
+1. I use a golf tee for the pin retainer.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:43 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

the snap on or mac tools battery powered impact we use can break loose and torque my cup car center lock on no sweat.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 AM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXE36
Whatever you do, do not go Ni-Cad. I've got a 1/2" C3 Craftsman with Ni-Cad and it was decent at first (meeting the OPs requirements), but within a year a single set tire change was pushing it and I now have to keep the battery in the charger or it will go flat quickly. Still, it wasn't a bad deal for 100 bucks.
I had the same experience with the Craftsman NiCad. It wouldn't even break lug bolts free on a full charge and the batteries wouldn't hold much charge after a season. I almost went with the Craftsman Lithium batteries but wasn't sure if it was the batteries or the tool that sucked.

I know this will go against the grain here, but after some recommendations from others I ended up going with the Harbor Freight impact. It's so cheap that I don't care if it breaks or gets lost, but honestly, it has been excellent. It only comes with 1 battery but I haven't needed a second. After a full autocross season it still works great and lasts over 3 events without a recharge.

With a 20 or 25% off coupon you can get it for under $100. Replacement batteries are only $15. I was planning on buying a fresh one every season but I haven't seen the need yet. A friend has been through 3 seasons with the original battery.
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...nch-60380.html
Old 11-17-2014, 01:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,576 Posts

This thread cracks me up (in a good way!) Page after page of debate on cordless impact guns with some air compressor fans thrown in for good measure.

Bottom line - they all can get your wheels on and off. Its just a question of how much you want to spend.

I wonder why F1 teams are required to use air instead of battery? Electric spark risk versus danger of air hose?
Old 11-17-2014, 05:02 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I wonder why F1 teams are required to use air instead of battery? Electric spark risk versus danger of air hose?
Much more power and speed. e.g. http://jalopnik.com/5863687/a-farewe...red-wheel-guns
Old 11-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 38 Posts

Matt, the Dewalt 20v Lithium Ion impact is what you want. 400 ft-lbs, variable speed trigger, led light, hog-ring anvil, two very powerful long lasting 4Ah lithium batteries with led battery gauges, great balance in your hand. I've had mine for over a year, and each battery charge lasts a long time, and does not self discharge when not used for months. Note, some packages only give you 2 or 3 Ah batteries, and/or only one battery. 4Ah is the largest, ideally you want the package that contains two of them. You will not be disappointed.

DEWALT-DCF889HM2: http://r.ebay.com/EsFAhx

Last edited by Steve W; 11-19-2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: update specs
Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyril
DeWalt, 18V, 1/2, 300 ft-lbs of maximum torque
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...-dw059k-2.aspx
Affordable and same batteries as my home tool set.
Same. Use the lithium batteries on impact wrench, drills, saws etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
this thing is incredible. period. ingersoll rand
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...up=IRAW7150-K2
this kit includes two batteries, they have a single battery kit for a tad less.
+1. Breaker bar not needed. Amazing battery life.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:06 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve W
Matt, the Dewalt 20v Lithium Ion impact is what you want. 400 ft-lbs, variable speed trigger, led light, hog-ring anvil, two very powerful long lasting 4Ah lithium batteries with led battery gauges, great balance in your hand. I've had mine for over a year, and each battery charge lasts a long time, and does not self discharge when not used for months. Note, some packages only give you 2 or 3 Ah batteries, and/or only one battery. 4Ah is the largest, ideally you want the package that contains two of them. You will not be disappointed.

DEWALT-DCF889HM2: http://r.ebay.com/EsFAhx

Awesome - ok I am going with this or the milwaukee

thanks guys
Old 02-26-2018, 10:55 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have the Longacre Racing model, works well, comes with great carrying case. I do still break the lug nuts by hand....save the battery...I think.

It would be the best case if the impact wrench eliminated that step and the batteries lasted a long time!
Since this thread is 4 years old and interest by the original party has certainly waned, I'll post anyway, because that's what I do. . I still have the Longacre Impact 4 years later, and I have evolved to the point where I do NOT break the lug nuts by hand. Note, when tightening the lug nuts down, the Longacre has enough torque so I have very little range of motion needed torquing to 95 Foot Lbs. It has worked very well for me. Never an issue with the batteries holding as charge. SnapOn is another great choice.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:46 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

x3 longacre going 3 years works perfectly
Old 02-26-2018, 12:20 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
What do you guys use for enduro race?
At daytona, a couple weeks ago, we were told that we cant use our electric impact(i knew) but didnt have any backup plan in case **** happends.
That's always been the case with PCA but interestingly enough, they are waiving that rule for the 6 hr enduro at High Plains. If it's "safe enough" for that race, why not for other enduros?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This Craftsman Lithium Ion has worked great for me, including my 165 ft lb F250 wheels. On sale for $140 and free shipping. I keep one at home and one in the trailer.

Craftsman Impact Wrench
Old 02-26-2018, 02:12 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

My Milwaukee has been working great for the past 4-5 years. Harbor Freight now has a cordless impact with 1200ft lbs of torque which has good reviews. I'll probably pick one up when my Milwaukee dies.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:50 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Whatever you do, do not go Ni-Cad. I've got a 1/2" C3 Craftsman with Ni-Cad and it was decent at first (meeting the OPs requirements), but within a year a single set tire change was pushing it and I now have to keep the battery in the charger or it will go flat quickly. Still, it wasn't a bad deal for 100 bucks.

Now debating on going Li-Ion for the Craftsman or just getting a Dewalt.

I've got two smaller Li-Ion impacts for the house, one Milwaukee and one Ryobi and they are fantastic. The Milwaukee is tiny and is perfect for honey-do jobs like hanging window blinds. Li-Ion lasts a long time and charges quick.

-Mike
I have the same one -- replaced the NiCads with 2, and always have one on the charger -- but would consider Li-Ion if you have a link.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best cordless impact wrench