Where to get numbers for car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Where to get numbers for car?

Any recommendation on where to get a decent set of removable numbers for use in DE? Without spending too much cash?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:58 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Call Pegasus at 800-688-6946 .. thats where I got mine.

944turbo
Old 08-19-2003, 11:11 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Chad Austin (Rennlist member) used to make vinyl stick-on numbers but no longer.

If you want removable numbers, find someone who uses 3M Hi Performance vinyl. I had a set that Chad made that lasted for ~ 6 events (cost was ~$20 for 4 sets). Could apply them to the windows and peel off when done.

Tried another brand of vinyl that was supposedly 'just like the 3M stuff'. Well, I had to take a scraper blade and adhesive remover to get that crap off.

Another alternative is the various glass markers available. The best I've found is the Uni Posca glass marker, which can be purchased on-line from Adsco (www.adsco.net) or at auto auctions. Not cheap at ~$7.60/marker, but each one will last you a few seasons. If you're interestd in one, let me know (I bought ~6 of them, white and yellow) and I'll sell you one.

Later,
Jerome
Old 08-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark-

My buddy, Mark Wildstein (credit given where due) has come up w/ the coolest idea - he got some moderately heavy (don't know the exact thickness) magnetic vinyl sheets, and used a template to cut them into a elongated hexagon -ie, a rectangle w/ pointy ends, @ about 3 inches - esentially the shape used to create the #'s on your LED watch or other digital inst.
since the # 8 needs the most of these (7 pieces) he cut 42 for each of us.(7 x 3x both sides = 42).
now it doesn't matter what track # we are given, they pop on & off easily , and I just store them in the car (one less thing to forget). they stayed on my car @ 115 mph, and his and another buddy's @ 130 mph this past weekend at the glen
Old 08-19-2003, 11:46 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just get vinyl numbers from a mom-and-pop signage shop. They stick well and are removeable with carefull thumbnail use. No scratching or marks left. Like $23 for a pair of 8 inch, three-digit numbers.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use a large square of magnetic material that has a vinyl sheet on it to get close to the car color and permanent vinyl numbers on top of the sheet. It lasts a long time, doesn't fade and does not come off at 120+ mph. The removable (static cling) vinyl numbers are easy but don't last as long as the magnetic. If you are careful and wipe the dust off the car and magnetic material there is no scratching. I've had mine for DE and autocross use for 2 years.

Magnetic sheet came from TAP Plastics and the vinyl from "Letters Unlimited" (see mrletter.com). The 10" numbers are $1.65 each. The 5" were $0.54 each.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:08 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Since I am a graphic artist and do this everyday I have found a low tack vinyl that comes off easily from painted surfaces as well as glass....it is made by Calon although 3M probably makes it, too....it looks just like the permanent vinyl but has less aggressive adhesive ....although it is only one use as when you remove it from the vehicle it stretches beyond recognition...I have all the equipment (computers and plotter/cutters) to make these....
Old 08-19-2003, 02:45 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I should have added that: vinyl numbers are removeable but not re-useable. But with the time, effort and $$$ I've put into the car, the money doesn't begin to add up. The sign people like me, though.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:51 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

nineeagles,

Try making some numbers out of the 3M Hi-Performance (3 mil, I think) that I mentioned. Very little stretching when removing.

I applied/removed mine ~6 times before I had to throw them away from being given another number. A little stretching occurred a the ends where I started to lift them off, but still looked good.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:14 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Chad Austin just posted on the email lists that he is back in business. He's based out of St Louis, MO at the moment. I don't have his phone number handy but his email is annandchad@earthlink.net. I know he does some very nice work, and I imagine he can set you up with temp numbers as well.

Regards,
Old 08-21-2003, 10:35 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are doing DE's with these numbers, magnetic won't work unless you apply tape to the leading edge. Vinyl numbers will pull off but not be usable later. I use a static cling sheet with the vinyl numbers attached to that. I peel the sheet off after the event and can use them in later events. Go to Terry Fretwell at www.europdr.com. Static cling is THE removable solution for numbers.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up three sets of trashed magnetic numbers off the track surface last weekend. watching fly down the track was less than amusing especially when they land on other cars at 125+. Taping the leading edge seemed to help a great deal.

Quick Reply: Where to get numbers for car?