Sponsored by:

Nice little slide at Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Nice little slide at Watkins Glen

Very lucky to have saved this. Closest I've ever come to a wall at any track. Definitely stuck in my mind the rest of the event, and probably will remember this forever when taking that turn!

Old 10-09-2014, 04:13 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As in the corner previous to your slide, you are not releasing the wheel enough as you track out.

Let's work on unwinding that thing...often, this is also a vision issue.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:25 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Good catch. The instructor fraternity thanks you. Any thoughts as to why you didn't unwind?
(Nice video editing, too)
Old 10-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
As in the corner previous to your slide, you are not releasing the wheel enough as you track out.

Let's work on unwinding that thing...often, this is also a vision issue.
Thanks for the feedback. It was a poor offline entry and I probably should have braked some to plant the nose a little. I have a bad tendency in that corner, as well, to try to hurry to get back to the left side (so as to get my braking done for T11 in a straight line). I'm almost always back in plenty of time for the T11 braking, so I'm definitely giving up speed there. But that wall comes at you mighty quick onto the front straight...
Old 10-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Good catch. The instructor fraternity thanks you. Any thoughts as to why you didn't unwind?
(Nice video editing, too)
Indeed, I had an awesome (and understanding!) instructor. He actually was in the car by my choice at that point; and I was still solo'd for the next run/rest of the event after that (this was run 3 on day 1).

See previous comment re unwinding. Definitely a mental issue with that turn! And this slide probably won't help that.

Video editing: I found great software - CyberLink Power Director. Highly recommended.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Any thoughts as to why you didn't unwind?
He didn't want to knock over one of those cones at track-out.

Courtshark, there is a ton of pavement out there for this very reason. Use it if you have to despite those ridiculous cones (even if it means a slap on the wrist from your instructor).
Old 10-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

LOL, the next time by I checked to see if I'd knocked over the cone. I hadn't.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Not a bad save for what was undoubtetly a Code Brown moment. In addition to the other comments about not releasing steering lock (also evident in T9), and your own comment about hitting the gas too hard too soon, yeah, you really needed to dip the brakes a bit in a heavy car like that when you are tight insode at T10. This is the only way you will really get to and along the apex curbing, which is essential to keeping you on the cambered part of the track at track out as opposed to the non-cambered rumble strips, when you are on power.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Thanks coach! Part of the issue is now that I'm faster on the track in general that turn is very different; I'm simply carrying a ton more speed into that corner than I'm used to. I'm consistently running about a 2:33 lap, which is not the bees knees, but it's a lot faster than I used to be. So while I didn't used to need to brake there, I really do now, at least a little.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

My laps times leading up to the spin... 2:33, 2:33, 2:32, 2:30, 2:31. And with the spin, I still turned a 2:33. That likely would have been my fastest lap of the event. D'oh!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Great post. Thanks for putting it up here. Posts like this are very informative and many of us can learn from others' experiences.

I also find T10 very tricky. It's one of those corners where you have to build up confidence gradually. From moderate braking prior to entry, to light braking, to eventually just a lift prior to entry. The track definitely has nice positive camber to it when you run the correct line, and that helps keep the car planted and carrying more speed than you would have thought possible. A track walk is invaluable here--definitely shows you how much banking there is. My Glen track walk was probably one of the most informative things I've ever done in my four years of HPDE events.

Despite being in a position of taking the turn off-line, and not fully unwinding on track out, and pinching it a bit, you reacted really well--quick hands. I like how the video shows your eyes/where you're looking. You recovered, and quickly checked your mirrors to make sure the Mini wasn't right on you. Seemed very calm.

I also run white with PCA. I'm assuming it's the same level for the Niagara region--high intermediate (Green, Yellow, Blue, White, Black, Red/instructor). Whether or not you brush the brakes for T10 seems to be dependent on so many factors--your car's speed, your car's tires/weight/cornering capability, and your skill level. Becoming better and faster certainly does change your braking reference points as you carry more speed on the approach to and through corners. I managed to break into the 2:19s at the Glen in my 2011 M3 last year on R-comps, and this year I got into the 2:17s in my 991S on street tires, but it's still variable as to whether or not I brush the brakes for T10. Depends on traffic, my speed, whether I'm on the right line and how confident I feel. Hoping to become more and more consistent with more experience.

Thanks again for posting.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:09 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Nice save

In addition to everything mentioned here, try a 9&3 grip as opposed to 10&2. Don't hook your thumbs, caress the steering wheel, don't grip it - this will improve sensation/feedback/feel.

9&3 allows more subtle/gentle initial inputs because your hands are on the same axis as the hub (decreased leverage). 9&3 also decreases reach to the steering wheel when you make bigger corrections (like this one!).
Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 PM
KaiB
Banned

I merely use one hand, as I need the other for my beer...
Old 10-09-2014, 07:15 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I merely use one hand, as I need the other for my beer...
That's why you need steel RSR fenders!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:34 PM
KaiB
Banned

BAAWAAHHH!!!

In the meantime, I may be purchasing a glass widebody 964 with a monster Gamroth 3.9.

Quick Reply: Nice little slide at Watkins Glen