Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

luring your wife into track driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 03:41 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Bill ... LOL. I would not want her to find out what this little hobbie costs. Really costs!!

944turbo
Old 08-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billy boy,
Be carefull what you wish for.

Honey...can't you leave the seat the way it is? It's perfect for me.

Janet, hurry up, get out of the car, my run is almost half over already.

Honey...I think I should have my own track car, let's get a two car trailer.

I'm grateful that Lynn did one season of DE (over 20 days) and said that she got to experience it and now can relate to the other drivers. She is quite happy coming to all of the events, hanging in the paddock, doing "pit crew" stuff, and socializing.
Color me lucky.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:29 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, if I had known you were telling your wife the tires were $25 apiece I would have offered you $200 for the whole set right in front of her. She would have nudged you to give them up. Better watch out next time I see you in the paddock Bill!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

JC, thanks for the idea!! Hmm, I wonder who my student will be?
Old 08-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

My only "home pressure" is that racing takes lots of our quality time. So if Janet became obsessed with being the fastest women in stock PCA I could give her ole yeller and buy The Racers Group GT2 car that I have had my eye on for some time. 380hp @ 2100# race ready. Whats not to like.

Then Janet could pony up for the 3.8 kit and freshen my tired motor.

JC/Alan coexist now... tires and brake pads are a sore subject in our house. I feel like a alcoholic hiding a gin bottle. I sneek in with 3 boxes of Pagid pads and hide them in the car trailer. I hope my bride does not find out about Rennlist
Old 08-14-2003, 10:08 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

It's good to see someone else who buys the $25 tires. Did you also get the $10 brake rotors AND pads?

I tried to get my wife to try a DE but she doesn't see the excitement in sitting around for an hour to drive 20 min.

About 8 years ago, I bought my wife a motorcycle thinking it would be a fun way to spend some time together. Three days before I gave it to her, we found out she was pregnant. I am sure you can imagine what it is like to give a pregnant lady a motorcycle. Can you say: Lead Balloon. I can tell you it was not one of my finer moments. At least she has an amusing anecdote to tell at every family gathering.

Justin
Old 08-14-2003, 10:55 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Bill:

Looking forward to seeing you and meeting your wife next weekend. BTW, thats a great photo - I didn't know you had the honor of driving the pace car

See ya

Chris Brown
Old 08-14-2003, 11:38 PM
Randy
Instructor

Thumbs up

You poor guys have got it all wrong. What you need is a wife like mine that makes more money than I do, and owns and drives her own race car. She is well aware what good parts cost, and how racing uses this stuff up. The best part is when she kicks your *** on the track.

You know you're in deep when you get holiday cards from The Racer's group, B & B, Champion, etc...and it's kind of funny that I find myself asking her "do we have to watch this again?!?!" when she tunes in to a race we've already seen on Speed two or three times before.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:44 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally posted by bill walczak
IProblem is she will quickly find out Hoosiers are not really $25. each and Bob Woodman is not an investment banker. Those little white lies come home...
Bill, thats the funniest thing I read today!!!!

LOL
Old 08-15-2003, 01:54 AM
Geo
Race Director

I found out after our DE at the SE-R Club of America convention two years ago that my wife and another wife wanted to drive around the track, but with no one else on it. Had I known, I would have arranged to have a 5 minute session right after lunch for a very limited number of people to cruise around at a very modest pace with an instructor (and in my case I'd have gotten my wife another instructor besides me) just to see the track and not be afraid.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

My wife and I started DE together 4 years ago. She now has 31 days to my 41. The best part for me, other than the company (we enjoy spending time together, and I have no "guy" time, oh well) A. when she passes faster cars - she and I are both excited, and B. when drivers come to me to complain about aggressive driving and I point out that it was my wife on the track. Their sheepish look when they see the blonde bomber is priceless!
Old 08-15-2003, 10:24 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I started DEs with the quattro club back before Audi was making fast cars in the US, so it was mostly hardcore motorhead eccentrics with hotrodded turbo Audis. I built a replica of the euro-only S2 and ran with BMW and Audi clubs at DEs. Eventually my wife decided to join in, and with ~270hp and 30+ track days she was frequently FTD in the the green group, startling lots of young guys in new M3s. When I finally took the plunge to go racing and bought the 911, she insisted on sharing, so now I have the conundrum MikeA articulated, eg the seat doesn't adjust right (so I've now poured three foam inserts), I'm usually late for each run group, double your tire budget (she brought the car in at Mid OH with the two driver's side tires flatspotted, hard to do...)etc etc. She says, I guess I need my own car (and by extension, stacker trailer, bigger tow vehicle etc) but she is a woman and I'm not sure I can believe that...
B
Old 08-15-2003, 10:42 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't feel sorry at all for you guys complaining about the cost of co-driving events with your wives. I would love for my wife to co-drive. In fact I would love for my girls to begin racing because it would be cheaper for me. Alas though, they chose the hunter / jumper world of horses which is a much more expensive hobby. Also, the people there tend to be snobs unlike the pleasant camaraderie of the race track community....
Old 08-15-2003, 11:10 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh I'm not complaining, exactly, my wife is a good sport about assuming her husband's "hobby." It's just that she will never be a gearhead by any stretch, and I worry that a dedicated car + accessories for her implicitly means matching funds should be spent over in, say, summer houses, european vacations or "blings," as they say.
By coincidence (although face it we're kind of a homogenous lot here) my two daughters are also full-on into horses although it hasn't gotten crazy yet. My ten year old son doesn't as yet evidence the car-passion I had at his age. However I got him a 100cc yamaha kart this year, and we are going to our first race this weekend. We'll see if it "takes."
BrandonH
Old 08-15-2003, 04:22 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW, Got my other 1/2 to give it a try, and I'm proud of her perserverance. She's probably got 15-20 De days under her belt now( and finally her last instructor got her to shift to 4th!) and had her best DE @ Watkins Glen back in July. Now there's talk of ...So if we get another 964 We'd have more time to to shoot the brezz in the pits. She also likes taking it work & an "errand" every now & then, but it's really the shocked looks she gets whe She wiggles out of the Reccaro & they gasp that a "Girl" really drives a P-Car @ Lime Rock & Watkins Glen etc. I'm happy she's enjoying herself!
Anybody got nice C2 or maybe even an RS they want to part with??
Bill

Quick Reply: luring your wife into track driving