Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Recommendation for race tire mounting in Westchester County, NY (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/828872-recommendation-for-race-tire-mounting-in-westchester-county-ny.html)

stownsen914 08-12-2014 02:18 PM

Recommendation for race tire mounting in Westchester County, NY

Haven't had tires mounted recently, so looking for recommendations for places experienced in mounting race tires in Westchester County, NY. Thank in advance!

Scott

mhm993 08-12-2014 02:29 PM

Speedwerk is just the other side of the tappen zee. A bunch of metro members like them.

Frank 993 C4S 08-12-2014 04:46 PM

Rennwerke in Elmsford is good choice too.

Jas0nn 08-12-2014 05:34 PM

I would try Rennwerke (Cheech and Gasper are terrific), or Proformance Industries - those guys know wheels better than anyone around (ask for George or Mario).

LuigiVampa 08-13-2014 08:15 PM

Just across the border you can go to Speedsport Tuning in Danbury, CT. Spencer Cox, the owner of SST, is the chief instructor for CVR region. I highly recommend his shop.

paradocs98 08-14-2014 04:02 AM

+1 for Speedsport Tuning, or Phil's Tire Service is about an hour away in Cragsmoor (when he's not on the road at a track event): http://www.philstireservice.com

stownsen914 05-13-2019 04:02 PM

I started this thread a few years ago and wound up taking one of the suggestions to go to Proformance Industries in New Rochelle, NY to get my race tires mounted. I'm back to add to this thread because I had a really poor experience there recently.

I've gone to Proformance a number of times in the last few years to have tires mounted and was happy with them until a really bad experience the other day. The wheels I took there today are older center lock type, so possibly unusual and harder to work with. They damaged one during the mounting process. I pointed this out to the shop manager, just to ask him to be careful with the remaining wheels. He denied that they had damaged the wheel while yelling and cursing at me, and told me to use another shop to mount my wheels next time (duh, obviously I won't be going there anymore). Afterward I noticed a mark on the inner face of another wheel while I was there, but it didn't look bad initially. Well, I should have looked closer. When I got home I noticed that a file or power tool was used to cover up what I assume was another damaged spot. I called the manager to let him know I noticed this, and he yelled and cursed at me again.

The wheels are magnesium, which shows bare spots very clearly when fresh and are easily distinguishable from older blemishes. I happened to have just inspected these wheels closely last week and am POSITIVE that these damaged spots are fresh.

I noticed that the old manager, Mario, is no longer there. I found his customer service skills to be very good and was happy with the work there previously. Looks like things have changed there.

Figured I'd share my experience in case anyone is interested.

CT_Peter 05-13-2019 05:42 PM

That is pretty awful. Sorry you had to deal with that. Accidents can happen, but zero excuse for how they treated you.

FWIW, while not Westchester, Danbury, CT isn't that far and I've been super impressed w/ SST thus far. The others above are *much* more familiar with them, but in my initial experience, I've come away extremely impressed.

Frank 993 C4S 05-13-2019 08:35 PM

Other than Rennwerke you can try DeMan on the other side of the Tappan Zee bridge.

Red991S 05-15-2019 04:48 PM

sorry about your experience at proformance stownsen. . .sounds like you were there after mario. I can second the fact that mario is the highest quality both in his work and as a parson. he's now at mamaroneckautobody.com . can't recommend someone highter.

badabing 05-16-2019 08:37 AM

Tire Buys (formerly Elman Brothers) in Mt Kisco. Old school place with modern tire changing machines and Hunter Road Force balancer.

stownsen914 05-16-2019 05:19 PM

Thanks guys for the additional suggestions. Hopefully one of those will work for me.

I spent a couple hours last night with a file going over the areas that got buggered up during the tire mounting at Proformance. Fortunately the damage wasn't severe, and I should be OK to use the wheels at an event I'm signed up for next weekend.

sugarwood 05-19-2019 09:39 AM

It's madness to drive to another state to get tired mounted.
I have PM'ed you another option in Westchester.

CT_Peter 05-19-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by sugarwood (Post 15850999)
It's madness to drive to another state to get tired mounted.
I have PM'ed you another option in Westchester.

Definitely agree. Still recommend at least checking out Speedsport. It’s like a full blown Porsche playground with a shop that’s larger than some (many?) Porsche dealerships.

I’m not affiliated with them in any way, was just super surprised (and happy!) to find them and think they’re well worth the less than an hour drive if someone is focused enough on track driving to have race tires.

Bruizer 05-20-2019 01:47 PM

I just talked to Mario at Mamaroneck Autobody this morning. They will be getting tire machines and Road Force balancing machine in a few weeks. He is great to work with, just something to keep in mind.