trailer generator questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:49 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default trailer generator questions

Hi,

at the front of my trailer I have a generator box with a b&s 5k generator. The generator is old, noisy, and does not run that well, but it is wired into the trailer (electrical wire runs from the trailer to the box. I have an electrical panel in the trailer that services outlets, lights and an AC. It appears that the box was build for the generator. i.e. a side door opens in order to start the generator and have access to the front (side) panel if need be. The fuel tank is mounted underneath my workbench in my trailer and feeds the generator directly. Its a great setup if it worked reliably, and was a bit quieter.

I'd like to replace the generator with a newer one, but I dont see anything like what I have in there. I'm thinking someone modified the generator and box for this application. I have a honda inverter 3k one that I have siting around and would love to use it, but It wont fit inside the box. I also dont see how to make/buy a new box, short of getting sheetmetal pressed. I also dont see how to wire the trailer to the honda. I could use a 220v plug and plug into the generator, but thats not nearly as nice as just having it wired.

Has anyone done something like this? how are generators usually wired into trailers? does everyone just plug into their generator and mine is a 1 off being wired permanently?

I'm also concerned the 3000i will not be strong enough for an AC + stuff. any thoughts on that?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used a 2400 watt generator to run A/C and it did fine, so I think the 3000 should work. In terms of finding a specific generator for that box, check into RV generators. Those are designed to fit into a small space and fed from an external fuel tank (external to the generator). You might even check into diesel generators although I think those are pretty expensive.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Reference A/C. Your generator is rated for 3000w start up power using the 30 amp plug, and 2800w continuous. So you'd want to see what the start up draw of the A/C unit you're using is. The start up draw is usually the limiting factor, as its greater than the continuous use draw. For reference, Hondas website says the 3000i should power most 13.5k BTU RV air cond. units.

For size, you could try 2 linked smaller "suitcase" style units. It should give you a shorter profile, but might not help width. For reference I use 2 Honda 2000 units. Yamaha also makes nice stuff.

Without seeing your wiring setup, I'd guess its custom. However, I think there is some work to wire most setups, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Since you already have a onboard tank, I would seriously look at an Onan. You can find good used ones on line reasonably.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search for an Onan RV generator. They're compact and designed for enclosed spaces (with adequate venting though)
Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

ill look at onan. It really looks like what i have is a portable generator (older coleman powermate) that was removed from its frame and installed into a box. the exhaust connects through the bottom to a muffler, and the fuel tank was removed and connected to an external tank in the trailer.

I'm guessing this is not the typical setup for a generator?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:02 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Just $0.02...

I have a Honda 3000 inverter unit and use it to power our race trailer with A/C and support gear. For most times supporting the car in 100+ heat, we are still able to keep the Honda in "eco" mode and can keep all our electronics on and small compressor charged on about 4 gallons of fuel per track day. Our A/C is one of the newer Coleman units. We like the Honda as it's darn quiet when in "eco" mode as compared to many of the construction style open frame generators.

I think a lot about options for our trailer, but I find it pretty easy to place the Honda out near the front of the trailer using the shore power cable and think I like this over having the generator mounted full time. It's not that different from having the tools on a cart as opposed to having the all the tool boxes built in.

My next trailer upgrade will be upgrading the on board batteries such that I can convert the battery DC through an inverter to run the trailer ops fully on battery for most of a mild temp track day. Most of the time, I need to charge the air compressor once or twice per day, but really I need to 115VAC for microwave, computers and video.

YMMV
Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Jim,

does your honda have casters? how do you get it in/out of the trailer? that definitely is the easy option especially since I already have that generator.

How specifically does it connect to your trailer? do you have a big 110 plug that goes to a distribution box, then to outlets? and you plug the generator into the big 110 plug? or do you just run an extension cord/ power outlet combo?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Great questions.

On the Honda, I added the upgraded caster setup making the unit easy to roll even on non-paved surfaces. Many have the setup, I think I got mine through Northern Tool.

My trailer has a shore power connector that matches the type used for RV parks. I have a 30A cord that takes the shore power to a circuit breaker box, then out to the various outlets / appliances. For the Honda, I have an adapter for the shore power cord. The adapter was common enough that I sourced at my local Camping World outlet.

What I like about the setup is that if a go someplace with RV / shore power and I know it in advance, I can leave the Honda at home. If in doubt, I roll it on board and off it goes.

Hope the info helps.

Jim
Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Maynor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a very custom made genny setup. If the Honda 3000i won't fit, you could try two smaller Honda EU2000i units parallel together. They are compact enough to be put in odd spaces.

On the 3000i, I have the same experience as Jim. I've got mine running a 15k A/C unit, on board lights/computers/microwave etc. it works great and sips gas. The quiet is a huge benefit when I sleep in the trailer overnight.

I run mine on Eco mode full time and it has no problems keeping up with the A/C when the compressor kicks on. 4 - 5 gallons a day is about right running the A/C full time too.

John
Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. Ill either repair/fix the generator or like you guys do, use my honda. The honda is seeming like great option since I do like how quiet it is

Quick Reply: trailer generator questions