Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANs Devices what's your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:08 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HANs Devices what's your opinion?

I'm doing a bit of research on the HANS device and your feed back will help a great deal.

Here are a few questions.

1). Do you find it easy to use. If not, please tell me what your issue is.

2). Is it comfortable?

3). If there was an alternative, that was fitted to the car, rather than something you wear, would this be a more appealing option.

4). Please add any other comments here, if you have anything to add about the HANS device.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find mine easy to use, but I will say that anything that fits to the car would cause me a lot of concern over fast egress (fire).
Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 67King
I find mine easy to use, but I will say that anything that fits to the car would cause me a lot of concern over fast egress (fire).
Very good point and noted.

Thank you!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes; only issue is space in my mid-engined car w/halo seats, but it is workable for me.
2). Is it comfortable?
Yes
3). If there was an alternative, that was fitted to the car, rather than something you wear, would this be a more appealing option.
No, as I ride and drive in other cars HANS-capable cars (harnesses)
4). Please add any other comments here, if you have anything to add about the HANS device
I second the egress concern.

Good luck with your research! More good equipment options is always a good thing.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
I'm doing a bit of research on the HANS device and your feed back will help a great deal.

Here are a few questions.

Yes for the most part -- I have learned to lean towards the passenger side and tilt my head down, slide the hans on as I put my helmet on.
Might be a little tougher to do in a halo seat.

2). Is it comfortable?
Once on, I rarely notice it is there. Can restrict rotation for seeing blindspots,
but you learn to scan your mirrors.

As a testament, we are required to wear our helmets during refueling and
I don't bother to take the HANs off -- I don't even notice it is there.

BTW, I have been in a car fire and while I wasn't scrambling to get out of the car I wasn't dilly dallying -- and the hans was no problem.

I wouldn't want anything hooked to the seat that I had to fiddle with to take off *and egress my vehicle if I needed to do so in a hurry.

My harness could be removed left or right handed -- Imagine if you broke an arm or wrist and you couldn't reach to the other side of your helmet to free
up a fitting.

I'd also be worried about corner/safety workers not knowing how to get me out if I was somehow incapacitated. *This would jeopardize me and the workers.

4). Please add any other comments here, if you have anything to add about the HANS device.
I saw a newer/updated HANS (defender?) the other day -- it looks even less intrusive.
Said to restrict side to side neck roll.

I would find that to be useful as I've still had some incident of neck snapping side to side while driving on rougher surfaces.

Mike
Old 05-16-2014, 01:04 PM
loxner

2). Is it comfortable?
1) and 2) I think it's very easy to use. It may take a couple of sessions to get used to it, but after that, no problems at all. I don't even notice mine when I'm on track now.

3) I agree with the previously mentioned point that something affixed to the car could present a problem in the case of a fire. Additionally, I'm not sure if such a product is available.

4) I think a HANS is one of the most important safety items you can buy as a racer. It goes in the "buy once, use forever" category IMO. This video really shows the consequences of skipping the HANS:

Old 05-16-2014, 01:36 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a no-brainer. Look up "basal skull fracture" and you'll be sold. You get completely used to it; now I can't imagine going on track without it.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Don't even notice I have it on...no need to waste your money on the carbon fiber ones either...it rests on your shoulders...you don't even feel it.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:59 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this so far, you've all made pretty much the same comments.

I have not been fortunate enough to have the need for one, though I am trying to get my self into the sport more seriously, so your feed back it very important.

Just to give a bit of background info as to why I've asked these questions.

My company manufacture seat belts and other safety related products and I've long wanted to move into FIA approved harnesses etc and just recently was approached by a gentleman who uses a HANS device and finds it uncomfortable and in the almost impossible to get in and out of small car that he races wearing his helmet and the HANS, so we have been tasked to find a solution.

There is no doubt that the HANS has been one of the most important safety products developed since Harnesses first became a requirement.

Any further comments will be very much appreciated.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:31 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this so far, you've all made pretty much the same comments.

I have not been fortunate enough to have the need for one, though I am trying to get my self into the sport more seriously, so your feed back it very important.

Just to give a bit of background info as to why I've asked these questions.

My company manufacture seat belts and other safety related products and I've long wanted to move into FIA approved harnesses etc and just recently was approached by a gentleman who uses a HANS device and finds it uncomfortable and in the almost impossible to get in and out of small car that he races wearing his helmet and the HANS, so we have been tasked to find a solution.

There is no doubt that the HANS has been one of the most important safety products developed since Harnesses first became a requirement.

Any further comments will be very much appreciated.
Stuart,

If you are driving on a race track in anything resembling a race car that uses 5 or 6 point harnesses, you have a need for a Hans Device.

I don't see how a Hans Device can be uncomfortable. It sits on your shoulders and weighs very little. Nor do I see how it makes getting out of a car appreciably harder. Halo seats make it harder though.

I only notice my Hans Device when I am taking off my helmet.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:51 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Necksgen

The Necksgen is giving HANS a run for their money. Smaller, users say more comfortable. Orignally came out as DefNder, then Necksgen now called Necksgen REV.

http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2562.htm

We are comfortable offering either device (Necksgen or Hans) to our customers. Let them decide which is more comfortable in their opinion.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 AM
300cd300sdl911
Advanced

Hans is a must if using a 5 or 6 point harness.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:26 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

I have a older version of the Hans - the carbon ones that used to come with fixed tethers (since converted to sliding), and an R3 from simpson. The R3 interfaces the same way as the hans to my helmet, but you can use in a 3-point car, which is good for jumping into students cars with no 5 points.

1) Easy?

Easy enough, it takes a while to get musclememory down to being able to remove the tethers instantly and without thought.

My only complaint is that it's easy for belts to slide off, especially once your body compresses/curves forward into the seat while out on track. I am always worrying about the belts sliding off, especially with 3" belts in other cars.

2) Comfort?

I find the old Hans comfortable, and I'd bet the new slimline models would be much more comfortable.

3) Tethered to car?

Absolutely not, that is a dangerous sounding proposition.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:30 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Don't give it a second thought. Buy a HANS and use it. Anyone who's been in an incident (myself included) would tell you that they're GLAD it held their heads in place.

Not bulletproof--doesn't guard against lateral neck movements--but definitely better than none.

I wouldn't track without one, even if at DE levels.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get on a track without a HANS. Be sure your harness is HANS compatible.

Quick Reply: HANs Devices what's your opinion?