Sponsored by:

Help with Pedal Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with Pedal Setup

I've performed a search and couldn't find a specific answer. Sorry if it's been asked and answered before.

I have 997.2 turbo. The edge of the break is 6cm away from the edge of the throttle when depressed to the same level. This obviously makes toe-toe downshifting basically impossible unless I'm wearing really wide dress shoes (which I don't think are the best thing for the track). The Toe-heal thing just doesn't work for me, I'm definitely a ball of the foot roll over guy. As a result I need to change the width of my gas pedal. My question is this. What is a good starting distance for the gap between the break and throttle? I'm sure this is a personal preference but I need to pick a good distance to learn.

I have one year of DE track experience.

Thank you.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:24 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Rennline has an adjustable pedal set-up...

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Rev...fo/A14.3P6059/

Gas Pedal only
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Rev...uctinfo/A14.3/
Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,402 Likes on 748 Posts

Do you mean the BRAKE pedal? And your HEEL?

If you have small feet, the adjustable pedals Doug mentions are very good. However, as you get more experience, you may discover that you are better & better at articulating your ankle, and the stock pedal difference is pretty good as is.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Is it not ok to roll your foot over and hit the gas with the edge of your foot? That's a technique that was shown to me by an instructor my Upper Canada Porsche Club DE weekend.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,402 Likes on 748 Posts

Sure it is!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:34 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Wide, hard dress shoes are the last thing you want to wear for effective heal/toe.. Too hard, not enough feel. A good driving shoe like a Pilotti or the like allows you to drive almost like you are barefoot. Very nuanced pedal feel.

I think Pilotti is no longer available, but there are other driving shoes around. Even soft sole Converses would be better. Nothing beats a good driving boot. But don't go crazy. Just get some decent shoes for now. (You are just starting). You want them too thin for long distance walking is what you want.

I don't like the Rennline Pedal extensions. They are useful as a learning tool. I used them myself, but it is all too easy to catch the extension with your foot while braking. Drove me nuts. I cut them off after a few weeks.

Have fun!

Originally Posted by JayinToronto
I've performed a search and couldn't find a specific answer. Sorry if it's been asked and answered before.

I have 997.2 turbo. The edge of the break is 6cm away from the edge of the throttle when depressed to the same level. This obviously makes toe-toe downshifting basically impossible unless I'm wearing really wide dress shoes (which I don't think are the best thing for the track). The Toe-heal thing just doesn't work for me, I'm definitely a ball of the foot roll over guy. As a result I need to change the width of my gas pedal. My question is this. What is a good starting distance for the gap between the break and throttle? I'm sure this is a personal preference but I need to pick a good distance to learn.

I have one year of DE track experience.

Thank you.

Last edited by dan212; 05-06-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:20 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaylin

As mentioned above using the ball of your foot to heel toe is fine, that is what I do too. With regard to shoes, again as mentioned above, you should get some good driving shoes that will give you better feel.

There is not a set gap between pedals however 6 cm is a lot. I would try to get to 3cm and go from there. At 3 cm, you will find real driving shoes will span the gap easily to heel & toe using the ball of your foot.

Mark
Old 05-06-2014, 06:51 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Originally Posted by mcongleton
Jaylin

As mentioned above using the ball of your foot to heel toe is fine, that is what I do too. With regard to shoes, again as mentioned above, you should get some good driving shoes that will give you better feel.

There is not a set gap between pedals however 6 cm is a lot. I would try to get to 3cm and go from there. At 3 cm, you will find real driving shoes will span the gap easily to heel & toe using the ball of your foot.

Mark
Thanks for the input. I'll try 3 cms and see how that works.
I have some nice soft souled shoes that give me great pedal feel, but they were just too narrow. I'll start with 3 cm and see how that goes. First track weekend of the year this weekend!!! I can hardly sleep!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 PM
mcongleton
Racer

have fun this weekend!

mark
Old 05-06-2014, 10:27 PM
thstone
Instructor

Rennline pedal set.

The brake and clutch pedals are slightly larger and the gas pedal extension (red) makes it easy to reach the gas from the brake. The gas is also adjustable fore and aft so it is at the proper level with the brake.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 PM
ahalpern47
Intermediate

A simple and inexpensive solution may be to trace the outline of your gas pedal and make a cutout from 1/2" plywood. Fasten this securely to your gas pedal. Give it a try, if it does not do it for you just throw it away.This has worked very nicely for me. Not glamorous but gets the job done.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:18 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Ok, so I got the Rennline pedals. The black ones with the rubber grippies in the holes. Now my break and pedal are 3.5cm away from one another. The gas pedal is now 3.5 cm away from the edge of the break (instead of 6cm OEM). Also, since the gas pedal screws on top of the OEM it since a little more aft than before which is either going to be a good thing or be too close on hard breaking. We will see. Tomorrow is my first day at the track with them. I was driving around tonight working on my down shifting. Waaaaaaay easier now. Looking forward to the track tomorrow!

Thanks for everyones input!

-Jay
Old 05-09-2014, 09:51 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem and just added the Rennline pedals. I'll try them out at Sebring tomorrow, but trying them on the road makes me optimistic.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by RichFL
I had the same problem and just added the Rennline pedals. I'll try them out at Sebring tomorrow, but trying them on the road makes me optimistic.
I'll be driving at Sebring tomorrow. My car is easy to spot....Boxzilla. Stop by and say hi!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I don't like the Rennline Pedal extensions. They are useful as a learning tool. I used them myself, but it is all too easy to catch the extension with your foot while braking. Drove me nuts. I cut them off after a few weeks.

Have fun!
+1

Be really careful with these, it is easy to find yourself stomping on the brake in a heavy braking zone or a "both feet in" scenario and be squeezing the accelerator at the same time.

It takes some practice but the stock pedals are actually well placed, most of the time my big toe is the only thing on the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Help with Pedal Setup