Sponsored by:

996 track reliability

Old 03-30-2014, 12:15 AM
jj1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 996 track reliability

The short:
I'd like a 996.2 that can pull double duty (street/ HPDE) driving. Basically reliability mods, coil overs, wheel/ tire package, seat and maybe diff and exhaust (cat delete). I've done a lot of reading but had some specific questions for those with track experience on this platform.

1. I have a chance to get an 02 with 12k miles for $32k. With this mileage is it reasonable to say the IMS bearing won't be an issue until at least over 30k miles? Would you take this car or a 60-70k mile car for $25k and why?

2. Besides the IMS, RMS and AOS stuff, is there anything else I need to do for track reliability? Any cooling stuff? Any oiling issues (I'd be using street tires, not slicks)? I want to beat on it for 20min sessions even if it's over 90deg.

3. Besides the IMS failures, what's normal mileage for a track driven 996 engine?

4. Do these have the same coolant fitting issues the GT cars have?

5. I don't want to have PSM, but any downside to getting a PSM car? I've read you can disconnect a sensor to fully defeat it. Doesn't sound to bad.

6. What parts typically fail with hard use?

Just trying to get a gauge on cost of ownership with this type of use. And for reference, I'm no slouch on track. Not bragging or saying I'm amazing, just saying the car would be driven hard. Not a sun cruise on the local tracks. Thank you for your help!

Last edited by jj1; 03-30-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:49 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jj1
The short:
I'd like a 996.2 that can pull double duty (street/ HPDE) driving. Basically reliability mods, coil overs, wheel/ tire package, seat and maybe diff and exhaust (cat delete). I've done a lot of reading but had some specific questions for those with track experience on this platform.

1. I have a chance to get an 02 with 12k miles for $32k. With this mileage is it reasonable to say the IMS bearing won't be an issue until at least over 30k miles? Would you take this car or a 60-70k mile car for $25k and why?
Quite the opposite -- there is belief that with the IMS, that some lubrication is oil mist based, and lower mile cars are prone to sitting for long stretches of time, they maybe more susceptible to failure.
Some thought only low mileage cars were an IMS liability, but that is a myth as well. I've seen all range of M96 engines, mileage and years fail.

Personally -- if I'm in there touching the clutch I do it -- otherwise I decide on the cost of the car and see if the cost of the IMSR (~$1500) is reasonable insurance cost.

I did it for all my street M96 cars -- but a recent Boxster S for the track I did not. Only paid $6800 for it -- and I have a spare engine.

For the track -- I'd go with as cheap a car I could find that looks to have been decently cared for. You should know how hard you beat on a track car
and a 20-30K miles upfront won't matter, but 60k miles is a big spread.

In 2005 they upgraded the IMS to a larger diameter bolt (maybe bearing) == I've heard they might be slightly better but also heard they still fail.
However, they are not retrofittable since the crankcase hole is smaller than the bearing.

For the money you are talking -- I might consider finding 2001-2004 996 Turbo. Should be able to find a 50K+ example pushing below $40K
and some of the engine issues are not there (it's a metzger engine)

2. Besides the IMS, RMS and AOS stuff, is there anything else I need to do for track reliability? Any cooling stuff? Any oiling issues (I'd be using street tires, not slicks)? I want to beat on it for 20min sessions even if it's over 90deg.
I installed a deep sump kit and oil baffle and switched to Amsoil
I run street tires.

3. Besides the IMS failures, what's normal mileage for a track driven 996 engine?
Cylinder liner cracks, head cracks, chain tensioner failures, chain failures,
water pump failures, and cylinder ovality issues.

Power steering pump overheat and fail due to tracking.

Power steering pump can be helped by shielding the lines and running an underdrive pulley

4. Do these have the same coolant fitting issues the GT cars have?
I'm not familiar with these issues

5. I don't want to have PSM, but any downside to getting a PSM car? I've read you can disconnect a sensor to fully defeat it. Doesn't sound to bad.

6. What parts typically fail with hard use?
Wheel bearings, both front and rear. Typical stuff.

Just trying to get a gauge on cost of ownership with this type of use. And for reference, I'm no slouch on track. Not bragging or saying I'm amazing, just saying the car would be driven hard. Not a sun cruise on the local tracks. Thank you for your help!
I had a Boxster S for 4 years as a DD. Just recently bought a Boxster S for the track, 1/2 dozen track days now, and have been tracking for about 3.5 years in various other P-cars. I am really enjoying the Boxster.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:08 AM
jj1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a s2000 that's been a great track car. My original plan was get a 996 for a daily and keep my s for track use. I'm thinking I should stick with this plan. Only reason I was thinking of selling the s2000 was to pay for the parts and work on the 996 right off the bat and have some money if I drop a motor or something bad. I drove a 996 today and thought it was a great driver. I've driven a lot of different P cars and I thought this was a lot of car for the money. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 198 Posts

My 996 with an X51 engine has been bullet proof. First owner began competing in it in 2008, then I bought it in late 2009. I've competed with it in PCA, NASA (won the GTS4 championship for TX region in 2010), HSR, PBOC, etc. and it just keeps going and going. In January this year it ran a 6 hour enduro in the rain, then I hosed it off and ran in 2 sprint races in the following days, winning the second one.

Lots of practice days between races as well. Easily the most reliable race car I've owned.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 996 C2. I bought it with about 65k miles and drove it almost exclusively as a track car until the engine let go around 75k miles. the car was used as a track car by the previous owner as well for an unknown number of miles/hours, but let's say it had 15k track miles.

I replaced the IMS/RMS/AOS when I bought the car, it was on the verge of failure but there didn't appear to be any damage. we also installed the X51 oil pan. what ultimately failed was the #1 cylinder rod bearing failed. we think it's a result of oil starvation...

so if you're going to use a M96 motor in a track car, do the IMS/RMS/AOS and seriously consider installing an accusump or something similar.

that said, engine failure after 75k total miles and 15k track miles ain't exactly a disaster. let's see a Cup car motor do that
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 AM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2001 was a 85K miles commuter car when I bought it. This is the 5 year of racing it and a few more years of DE. Gear box has been bullet proof with 7 years on track and 85K street milesonly repair was a part that was under $300 to repair. The motor let go due to IMS failure. That was 6 years ago and I replaced it with a Porsche factory rebuild which is going strong to this day. No accusump just the x-51 oil pan. No IMS bearing replacement (assumed the Porsche rebuild was updated ). Watch who you get a rebuild from, the good ones go along time other people, lets just say you get what you pay for.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine was great but I got a scored cylinder after 4 years tracking it. Though could have been from winter driving and not have anything to do with the track. Though I am seeing friends with m96/m97 engines having the same problem after around year 4 or 5 of tracking their cars. Mine + 3 track friends that had to replace engines seems to me like an awful higher failure rate with these engines that or me and all my track buddies just have bad luck.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:16 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Four or five years of track is pretty darn good for any motor
Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 AM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and I have a motorsports AOS New in the box if you track your 996.............
Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

112,000 miles on mine, tracked it in January.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:05 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by trackjunky
and I have a motorsports AOS New in the box if you track your 996.............
I have one as well. I never did get to putting it on as the indy I talked to said I had to drop the engine and it would have to probably be jury rigged to get it secured.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DDun911
Four or five years of track is pretty darn good for any motor
If it were a GT3 motor it would still be going. I know of a 996 GT3 with over 70k track miles. Last time I talked to him he was thinking of rebuilding the engine. He's been tracking the car since he bought it new.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had my C2 since '05. I began tracking it in '07. I had the LN Engineering IMS replacement installed a few years ago as cheap insurance. This past Fall I did my first, real serious maintenance other than frequent oil changes and brake fluid changes, (not includng consumables). I had the Motorsport AOS, new coils, new plugs, x51 oil pan, new clutch and 200 cell cats w/x pipe installed, as the one of the cats needed to be replaced (again). The car has 45K on it and it has been bulletproof. A great platform to use a a learning tool, if you are into having the weight in the rear. It still has more ability than I do.........and that's okay by me.
If you want balance, then I would suggest you head toward a Cayman, many have moved in that direction, or a Boxster.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

3 years of tracking and basically no problems. Had some smoke this year coming out of the tail pipes and didn't want to believe it could be the AOS since I put a motorsports one in when I bought the car. Did a Leak down, Compression test, and boroscoped the engine. All numbers were like a new engine. Ended up being the damn AOS again . Bottom line is I think the cars are awesome and the motor problems are a bit blown out of proportion.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:26 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 198 Posts

Now in it's 6th season of competition, my 996 still has the factory IMS. The X51 engine is completely stock other than the Motorsport AOS. It could blow up tomorrow and it would owe me nothing. Not that it will.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 track reliability