Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's coming to Elko, NV for some high speed fun??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Who's coming to Elko, NV for some high speed fun??

Guys, I usually just listen here, but how some some hammer down runnin' in the big D? the big Nevada desert.

The Elko high speed race starts 8/22-8/24, and i invite yall hotrodin mo fo's there!!!!

CFR/Ruf-Racer or Crazy, yet elegant and stylishly fast, F.g Roland kindly introduced me to the Pony Express 100 last weekend. Thank you again, Roland, and special thanks to Carl and Ellen Young.

Net/Net:

-the drive up from Malibu is worthwhile anyway: 600 no cop, no traffic miles of hammer down... absolutely delightful and amusing...
-Team porsche is good fun, and even the corvette guys were gentlemen and scholars [of speed]
- the level of knowledge available to you to expand your personal safety and performance at speed is ineffably deep. draw from the source, for free. some people talk and some people know. and when Roland and Carl talk you hear important sh^t.
-you can run bone stock at 124
-you can run to 165 w/ bar, harness, extinguisher. preferably a racing seat and helmet
- there is no pressure and you set your own limit
-Elko is a nice town, the race route beautiful and Lamoille Canyon 20 mi away w/ beautiful hiking/viewing/lunching.

Tyson, Wilbur, Roland, Carl, Ellen and i will be at Elko, and i hope more of you will join us. openroadracing.com. any questions?

ready to practise at 140, a rookie dweeb:

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:04 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but would this compare to, or be better than the Silver State Classic?? ...or is it the same event, different name?

Your "stable" is impressive, to say the least...what fun!

I'll checkout the website and edjumacate myself!
Old 07-31-2003, 05:24 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OH MY!

Perused the website and that sounds like WAY too much FUN!! You "West Coasters" are some fortunate people...all those racetracks, to include LV Speeday AND Open Road Racing events.

I'm SOOOOO damned JEALOUS!

The more I get involved in racing, the more ideas I get...it's sick...when I drive in downtown Norfolk I plot out a Grand Prix circuit now and then, just in my head - what fun that would be!

Every year I am asked to drive the pacecar for the "Ford Downtown Classic" a road bike (bicycles, Lance Armstrong style) race in downtown Norfolk...and always give them an emphatic YES!

...that GP idea will have a hard time "fading" away.

One of those events in Nevada is something to shoot for, maybe I'll get out that way, with P-Car in tow - someday??
Old 07-31-2003, 09:31 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

hey jeff,
mkm runs 4 races per year and silver state runs 2 or 3 more i'm not sure
elko is 8/22; ely is 9/13 and eureka is 9/20 approx. each are about 100 miles and people run up to 200 miles average sppeeds. battle mtn was last week, and low and bebold if Roland didn't bring us home first in class!!!!, crossing the line on the maiden voyage -- first!:
Old 08-01-2003, 01:09 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the wrong side of the road?
Old 08-01-2003, 08:19 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These races have always fascinated me. By the way..... do you get to do a "cool down" lap?????
Old 08-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Spike Engineering
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rdstemler
These races have always fascinated me. By the way..... do you get to do a "cool down" lap?????
If you run the Bonneville 100 (prior event) or Gamblers (upcoming), you get a LONG cool down lap.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

pig4bill,
the road is CLOSED by nevada DOT and guarded during the race, it IS a race track. medi-chopper, fire crews, ambulances; and course workers alway have you in sight the whole 100 miles.

you cool down thw last couple miles

Quick Reply: Who's coming to Elko, NV for some high speed fun??