VIR lap record - As seen on Racer.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up VIR lap record - As seen on Racer.com

On the new pavement, done by our own ProCoach!

Congrats Peter!

c.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrGqYR3e6DM#t=862
Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That 1:59 took my breath away. Wow! He is flat out in sooo many places. And his braking zones are so brief. Nicely done! Congratulations!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

It was only a personal best and Club Sports 2000 lap record, but I'll take it! Fun to see up on Racer.com. Paul Pfanner has loved these cars for years...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

New, shorter video up of just the lap (and a few fist pumps after!): http://racer.com/index.php/videos/it...avement-at-vir
Old 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

The new asphalt is great too!!! Seems to be quite smooth... How faster are you compared to before?

c.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, now that we have some data to compare...

I looked at a group of drivers who I consider capable of very high level execution, but more than that, consistent performance. These are drivers that are typically within a few tenths of a second each lap, each session and from weekend to weekend, given similar age tires and good conditions.

Robert Grace has the old Spec E30 lap record, and typically runs low 2:18's-mid-2:17's every time out there. His lap record was a 2:17.6 (which edged Mike Skeen's by a tenth, which I have data for). Now, he's running Toyo RR's which are a little better than what he used to run (although his old record was set on them) and, in the draft, qualified at a 2:15.1. Alone, he could do 2:15.4-2:15.5 all day... So, two seconds for Robert.

Best I've done is a 2:01.7 (and only three of those, EVER) in 2010, been slower ever since, usually in the 2:02.5-2:03 range. Now, I have a better motor, but I was using Savannah/LRP/WGI gears, which use my normal VIR second as first gear, and was too lazy to change it. Hence, slow get out of the corners and less top speed on the back straight than on the front. Tires from COTA last October. Not stored well. Still, I did a 2:00.1 and a 1:59.9 on what I consider sloppy laps... For me, about 2.5 seconds.

Looking at about half a dozen drivers who I can count on for consistent performance, I saw a delta from old to new between 1.0 and 3.8, with a majority in the 2-2.5 second improvement range.

The global grip improvement is phenomenal, and it will be up to the driver to drive the car to it's new limits, rather than what they believe the limits are...

It'll be fun!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool! Thanks for the info!

c.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
New, shorter video up of just the lap (and a few fist pumps after!): http://racer.com/index.php/videos/it...avement-at-vir
I like the full length version better. get to see where the time came from in that last lap.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:43 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter, any reason you aren't using the extra pavement exiting 3 and oaktree? I heard they had prohibited it at some events and then saw Mike Skeen's video using every inch so wondering what the permanent stance will be.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Dez, I don't know what stance each club or race organizer will take. There were winners all weekend that didn't take the runoff areas at Turn 3 and Turn 12 and a few that did.

I can tell you that the optimal geometry has NOT changed enough to justify the use of those areas and that data supports that IF you go over the exit curbing before the very end on each, that you're turning the wheel too long a distance and exit speed suffers due to late throttle application. Be glad to talk about it with you in detail when we're together somewhere, but that's a fact.

The track is not going to paint verge lines (track edge) until later this year, so there's no way to enforce track limits without them. Have at it! <grin>
Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Peter, with the track out turtles at Oak Tree, if you straddled them (like in the Skeen video you put up) would it clip low hanging fruit like in my FM?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Every inch is right….

Old 03-24-2014, 05:11 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Peter

Once they saw 1:59.9, Jason and Tom look pretty happy too!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There were winners all weekend that didn't take the runoff areas at Turn 3 and Turn 12 and a few that did.
Mike Skeen is the only driver I saw taking the whole right portion of the track before entering turn 2 at Mosport (before 2013 repaving). I tried it and it did not felt right to me, but he was constantly doing it and he was very fast.

Maybe he drives a bit differently than most do?

c.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coochas
Peter, with the track out turtles at Oak Tree, if you straddled them (like in the Skeen video you put up) would it clip low hanging fruit like in my FM?
No, Dave. You'd just knock an oil fitting off the bottom of the car!

Originally Posted by Nizer
Every inch is right….
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Like I said, the data does not support an entry, apex and track out geometry that brings you over the exit curbing THAT SOON. If you need it to stay on track, fine. If not, you're just driving there and turning for too long a period of time.

Listen to his throttle adjustments to 1) accommodate how upset the car is by hitting the apex curb early and at such an angle that he's headed into it, rather than sliding away from it and 2) getting out of the throttle (making negative adjustments, not able to commit fully) to keep the car underneath him when he crosses the exit curbing, in order to GET to the far side...

The car Mike is driving is a softly sprung, heavy and compliant tank. You could go agricultural and it would still make it around the corner.

My pick is Jason Hart in the Viper GT-3R and Tom Long in a 997 GT3-R (World Challenge GT-A spec at a 1:49.7), BOTH WITHOUT going over the exit curbs at T3 and T12 (riding on top though, maybe!).

No video of those two, sorry.

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-24-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: VIR lap record - As seen on Racer.com