Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM MXL2 Availability - Any Further Details?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:33 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Gentleman,
Thank you
Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Is anything going to change for me with the new MXL 2 . Or should I take the plunge with a Evo-4/dash display and smarty cam-Hd combo?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I'm always of the opinion to buy the latest technology becuase it's better to not use features than to not have them. Unless you need it now, wait for the MXL2. Let me know if you need any help or advice.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Most folks doing builds for this season (out on track within the next several weeks) are buying the EVO 4/MXL Dash or EVO 4/G-Dash and the SC HD in anticipation of using this combo right away.

The MXL2/MXG will be more powerful and capable, but for 90% of the track day/club racing drivers, the EVO 4/display combo will be plenty.

The second hand market has been strong for this equipment in case you want to move up modularly.

I consider the EVO 4 the latest technology in accelerometer and GPS measuring capability (identical in that regard to the MXL2 and MXG) and the EVO 5. So you're not giving up anything there.

Where the new offerings have advantages is ease of use, bluetooth file transfer, onboard processor to calculate leveraged channels from raw information and, of course, colored shift lights/backlights and alarms as well as the MXG's color screen.

The price for the EVO 4/MXL-Dash is the same as the MXL2, which is the same as the old MXL Pista.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 760 Likes on 383 Posts

That MXG dash looks like it would be great...have you seen one in person?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have. The display is vivid, bright and the contrast high. It's not as bulky as it looks in pictures.

I compare it to the MoTeC C125/C185.

I have not yet seen or compared layout editors that will be available for both the MXG and the C185.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

So with Evo 4 I can get RPM, THROTTLE, BREAK, Gs and speed input to overlay on smartycam-HD? Mine is a 993 TT 1996.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, RPM, G's, track map, laps and speed without any other hookups other than RPM. For Throttle Position and Brake Position (on/off), you will need to connect to the individual vehicle sensors OR, my preference, install your own dedicated sensors. They're not expensive and they're easy to wire in. If you're going this route, I would take the time and install a 0-2000 psi brake pressure sensor on at least the front brake hydraulic circuit.

I just sold one of these packages to a 993 in NY specifically for this purpose.

The EVO 4 accepts a conventional RPM signal from ALL cars (except magnetos, in older purpose-built cars) AND, if you update later to a more modern car, it will also accept ANY existing or future OBD-II, CAN or racing ECU protocol that the Solo DL will and that AiM has decoded.

The EVO 4 will send power to keep the SmartyCam HD charged, turn it on and off and transmit just about any logged data to the camera to allow it to be written real-time on the video.

If you DON'T want to do anything but connect to power for the logger (and SC HD) and RPM, you can still configure the camera to show a bar graph of Longitudinal G. This means any acceleration shows on a green bar (the more the better!) and any braking shows on the red bar (coasting can show a little red, braking at maximum can be calibrated to show a full red bar). In this case, you can still see WHEN and HOW MUCH you are on the brake and on the gas, all this by measuring the results... You can also wire in the brake switch to a sensor input on the EVO 4 to show on the SmartyCam HD when you hit the brakes...

Most folks who are using their original instrument cluster opt for the smaller G-Dash, to show lap times, speed and most importantly, predictive lap times or +/- from previous best lap time. A sort of "instant" report card. No need to come back in and download to see instantly if one gear is better than another, or that your line and throttle application have improved.

The best thing about the EVO 4 is the packaging. It is infinitely expandable. You can do as little, or as much, as you wish.

I sold this setup to a guy with a 997.2 GT3 RS who connected power and two wires (the benefits of a modern car!) and I use one in my own, MUCH older (thirty year old) race car, with shock pots, all engine sensors (I don't use mechanical gauges anymore, this is my dash replacement), front and rear brake pressure, steering angle, throttle position and get HUGE benefit out of it for my car.

You can do the same. Start with an easy, modular system using the basic capabilities in such a way that you get good information about driver performance and the capability of, WITHOUT ANY INTERACTION, automatically record and play, within thirty seconds of getting out of the car, data-laden video for your review.

Later, if you get comfortable or curious, and want to examine your and the car's actions more closely, you can add more driver input sensors (steering, brake, throttle), additional channel expansions for engine sensors (pressures, temps) and even lamda A/F sensors for each bank, the sky is the limit!

I happen to believe the ONLY objective way to measure and adjust high-end shock absorbers is using suspension linear potentiometers. The software makes it easy to evaluate changes. It's pretty awesome.

I can set it up and send it to you plug and play, as well as talk you through the installation and setup. This is great tech! I remember fifteen years ago, it would have taken $20K+ to do what this will do for $2500 (EVO 4/G-Dash/SmartyCam HD and mounts). Plus it has HD video AND a GPS track database that when it gets a lock on the satellites, knows where it is and automatically loads the track for the data file, track map on the video AND all of the predictive lap timing benefits!

Let me know if I can help.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:01 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Peter,
That's very useful info. I will probably go this route, and let me get back with you once I have spoken to my mechanic. You will get the order. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thank you!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:45 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so who's giving up on the MXL2 for now and purchasing an MXL Dash instead?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

The MXL Dash and Evo 4 or MXL Pista? If you are doing an Evo 4, I would go with the G-Dash.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The MXL Dash and Evo 4 or MXL Pista? If you are doing an Evo 4, I would go with the G-Dash.
I was thinking pista I'm insane been going back and fourth with this for days! Add c125 in now too
Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Still recommend the EVO4 and the MXL-Dash (display only) if you need the real estate, G-Dash if you don't. I have a loaded C125 in stock.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I have a loaded C125 in stock.

Send me the prices and I may just order

Quick Reply: AiM MXL2 Availability - Any Further Details?