Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can You Guys Help Out An Idiot Like Me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:36 AM
rooibos1986
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can You Guys Help Out An Idiot Like Me?

I hope I'm not breaking any rules doing this. I certainly don't mean to. I know many of you are very skilled drivers, so that is why I'm posting here. I thought I was an OK driver. Then, I moved to southern California. Let's just say the drivers here are more aggressive than I am used to - and I'm driving in the city, which is somewhat new for me. I'm really have a hard time. It seems like I'm always having to jump off one freeway to next down here, so lane changes are critical. I find myself struggling with huge amounts of anxiety as I attempt to change lanes. I am trying to find mirrors and such that will help, or a system I should follow as to how to check things to make sure it's safe. The drivers more skilled than me who weave in and out of traffic make things even more dangerous for me.

Any recommendations on mirrors? I've tried some extended view rear view mirrors with the little stick on round one for the outside mirrors, but they don't always seem to help.

I'm trying to find a rear view mirror that will show something much closer to a real 180 degree view (perhaps the 20/20 vision mirror by hercules). What do you all do? I just get confused. Some of the cars come up alongside you SOO fast. Or I'm always worried the car in the lane next to the one I'm changing into will also change into the same spot as me.

Thanks so much.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Karen, is that you???
Old 02-26-2014, 03:35 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop looking at your speedometer. Use the that time instead to look in your mirrors more frequently, even when not planning to change lanes. Look further down the road, instead of the car in front of you - so that you have more time to safely look in your mirrors or shoulder check. Plan your maneuvers earlier.

you don't need a 180 deg rear view mirror. that's a crutch for people who do not know how to set mirrors correctly and are not managing their vision properly - although the 'fish eye lenses' that come in the corner of many newer vehicles are very helpful.

Yes, race cars have those big wide mirrors, but it's a totally different dynamic in a race car.. you shouldn't need one of those crazy wide mirrors for street driving.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trade for a new car with blind spot detection.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

I would postulate that no one in SoCal uses their mirrors. They just play chicken and the law of averages.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I predict another first post from a user who will be pimping the worlds greatest rear view mirror...
Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For a second I thought it was a Sp996 driver talking about Cup Cars....
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I predict another first post from a user who will be pimping the worlds greatest rear view mirror...
That or some sort of sensor or camera.
Maybe will have a compelling avatar.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
They just play chicken and the law of averages.
Have you been watching video of me again?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Have you been watching video of me again?
LOL! No...but I remember doing some motorcades in the LA area.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rooibos1986
I hope I'm not breaking any rules doing this. I certainly don't mean to. I know many of you are very skilled drivers, so that is why I'm posting here. I thought I was an OK driver. Then, I moved to southern California. Let's just say the drivers here are more aggressive than I am used to - and I'm driving in the city, which is somewhat new for me. I'm really have a hard time. It seems like I'm always having to jump off one freeway to next down here, so lane changes are critical. I find myself struggling with huge amounts of anxiety as I attempt to change lanes. I am trying to find mirrors and such that will help, or a system I should follow as to how to check things to make sure it's safe. The drivers more skilled than me who weave in and out of traffic make things even more dangerous for me.

Any recommendations on mirrors? I've tried some extended view rear view mirrors with the little stick on round one for the outside mirrors, but they don't always seem to help.

I'm trying to find a rear view mirror that will show something much closer to a real 180 degree view (perhaps the 20/20 vision mirror by hercules). What do you all do? I just get confused. Some of the cars come up alongside you SOO fast. Or I'm always worried the car in the lane next to the one I'm changing into will also change into the same spot as me.

Thanks so much.
Gotta agree with posts above. You're making the same mistake a lot of newbie track drivers do; driving your mirrors. By focusing so much on what other drivers and trying to anticipate what other drivers "might" do, you are taking your focus away from driving the car, looking ahead and developing peripheral awareness. Drive consistently, predictably and assertively. Use your signals and move. Biggest issue in LA traffic to watch for are bikes lane splitting in heavy traffic. A lot of organ donors in the making. And you do get used to it, now go try and drive in Europe or South America.....
Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

It sounds like confidence is a big issue for you. I'd suggest you look for a local 'advanced driving' course that includes in-car training. My wife was in several accidents a few years ago just before moving to Boston, one of the homes of aggressive driving. She was so tentative in traffic that she hated driving and caused more problems for other drivers. Although I was already doing plenty of DE's I suggested the two of us take this class together http://www.wmc-bmwcca.org/adss.html . She started the day scared and left the event confident in herself and her car. A week later a moron nearly rear-ended us on the highway and she had the presence of mind to check her mirrors, realize he was going to hit us, and accelerate into the breakdown lane to avoid the collision. It's all about confidence...

PS--Idiots weaving in and out of traffic in LA aren't "more skilled" than you. They're just too stupid to realize the danger they're putting themselves and others in.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Only thing to worry about passing cars in Los Angeles is make sure there's no bottlenecks that's imminent and there's plenty of them. Always look ahead 1st for that then turn your head rt or left making sure there's not a car on the blindpart of mirror. I hardly use side mirrors and rear view morrow only used if someone faster than me and I cut to next lane to allow him/her to pass. Just a matter of time before u get use to it. Worst is when it's raining cats/dogs in la majority still think its dry. Mike
Old 02-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Move to Kansas...
Old 02-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Only 2 ways to make time thru LA traffic:

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-02-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Can You Guys Help Out An Idiot Like Me?