Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An interesting correlation between racing and physical exertion

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

I think we will see a further major proliferation of products for folks to measure and track and share this type of information. Some of the companies are enjoying rapid growth. Take a look at Fitbit for example... just the posted jobs available gives one some idea of what is going on. I have direct contacts into many of these businesses and I believe it is going to be a very crowded space.

I hope that folks realize what these tools are and what they are not.

I think of the body as an energy system. I am personally striving to achieve a balance between a focus on energy out (amount, quality, frequency of activity/exercise), and energy in.

I find that the quality and quantity of beneficial exercise/exertion, what have you, resulting from a weekend of racing and or track driving are not very high.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I do think physical conditioning does delay the aging process, too! <grin>
My first patient this morning was a 77 year old competitive runner. He has run the Boston marathon 5 times. He looked amazing-way younger than 77.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Stretching is also important. It reduces stress on your joints, builds muscle tone, and is something you can do while your watching TV or even reading.
I have basically eliminated chronic back pain by getting serious about stretching
Old 02-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Another comment on cardio from personal experience. Before I started a lot of cardio my resting HR was in the 90s. It is now typically under 60. Definitely an advantage for driving at the track and I'll probably live longer now (debatable as to whether or not that's a good thing!).
Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default FitBit Force

Things wrong with this device:
1. It will readily fall off your wrist unless you secure the clasp with an "O" ring. I am on my second Fit Bit Force….
2. The Force is easily tricked by vibration. I wore mine on the track and experience bogus #'s…it said I did 15,000 steps that day, no way I could have. I drove my ATX around El Rancho for a few hours, another bogus reading.
3. It not so accurate in counting stairs climbed.

Things right with this device: It appears to be accurate on a treadmill as well as an elliptical exercise machine. And it really works well when walking around. I must like it because I have gone from the FiT Bit clip on device, to the Force, lost the first Force (No "O" ring), and am on my second.

The wireless interface to my Mac is pretty cool too. The Force also does sleep monitoring.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Permafrost
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. I have a Polar FT80 that I use when I work out, and I was also curious about workload when racing, so I wore it at Sebring a couple of weeks ago. Here is the data from my heart rate monitor:

Sprint 2: Duration: 00:41:16, HR Avg: 144, HR Max: 174, Calories: 512 Cal, Training Load: 117
Enduro (until my control arm broke and I DNF'd): Duration: 01:49:40, HR Avg: 135, HR Max: 172, Calories: 1237 Cal, Training Load: 256

Jim
Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Am I dead????

See the heart rate Avg: and Max: below. I don't know if my heart can beat that rapidly!!!! If I use the 220 - age, I may have already flat lined. My resting pulse is about 55, so maybe that's why I am still here…and I ran 3 races last weekend, 2nd place on Saturday, two 1st places on Sunday. But they were only 20 minute sprints…maybe that's why I am still alive and kicking. Perhaps a 1 hour Enduro would literally be the death of me

That's me in #10, last December, beating up on some low HP cars at Willow Springs, someone has to do it?

won 2 races last weekend, albeit 20 minute sprints!!!

Originally Posted by Permafrost
Interesting thread. I have a Polar FT80 that I use when I work out, and I was also curious about workload when racing, so I wore it at Sebring a couple of weeks ago. Here is the data from my heart rate monitor:

Sprint 2: Duration: 00:41:16, HR Avg: 144, HR Max: 174, Calories: 512 Cal, Training Load: 117

Enduro (until my control arm broke and I DNF'd): Duration: 01:49:40, HR Avg: 135, HR Max: 172, Calories: 1237 Cal, Training Load: 256

Jim
Attached Images   
Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Permafrost
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another view of the data. It clearly appears that I flatlined several times too ;-). I'm 53, and my resting heart rate is about 60. You can see that on the grid, I'm not at rest, and you can see the time spent winding down in the pits after the break.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: An interesting correlation between racing and physical exertion