Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An interesting correlation between racing and physical exertion

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a Suunto with strap heart rate monitor when I work out. I think I'm in really good shape for 45 years old. I work out 3-4 days a week with a trainer, do quite a bit of cardio and am at about 14% body fat. The thing is though, I still sweat like a mad man and, in the race car, still feel WAY out of shape after 15-16 laps at 10/10's at Sebring. The 12-14 lap PCA races are relatively easy compared to the 45 minute IMSA races. My max heart rate is 184 and I've worn my monitor during an IMSA race and have peaked out at about 174 and been in the top heart rate zone for about 20 of the 45 minutes....

I marvel at the overweight guys that can do the 45 minute IMSA races and get out of the car looking better than I do.... At the same time, I just don't understand it... Someone once told me that due to my low body fat %, I get colder AND hotter than someone with more body fat which insulates from both cold and heat. Is this true?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I use a Suunto with strap heart rate monitor when I work out. I think I'm in really good shape for 45 years old. I work out 3-4 days a week with a trainer, do quite a bit of cardio and am at about 15% body fat. The thing is though, I still sweat like a mad man and, in the race car, still feel WAY out of shape after 15-16 laps at 10/10's at Sebring. The 12-14 lap PCA races are relatively easy compared to the 45 minute IMSA races.

I marvel at the overweight guys that can do the 45 minute IMSA races and get out of the car looking better than I do.... At the same time, I just don't understand it... Someone once told me that due to my low body fat %, I get colder AND hotter than someone with more body fat which insulates from both cold and heat. Is this true?
Peter, I do not believe that is true. I am ~8% body fat, and do not have those highs and lows.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting thread. I'm an avid weight trainer with a strict diet I must admit the conditioning does help to a degree with my driving but nothing replaces seat time and good coaching to bring down the lap times. Especially practicing in race like conditions, heat and high level of intensity.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Peter good luck. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
For this, the Fuelband helps track activity trends, like data loggers on cars! That's good for me, but I plan to add heart rate monitoring so I can get a better measure of exertion.
Somehow hearing Peter mention he is going to log his bio data doesn't come as much of a surprise!
Send your storm up the coast; we'll take care of it for you (oh wait, it's already on its way)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

It's coming...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Peter, I do not believe that is true. I am ~8% body fat, and do not have those highs and lows.
8% wow. Now i feel out of shape. Being a desk jockey who flies very frequently has not helped.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I do think physical conditioning does delay the aging process, too! <grin>
Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Most important thing is to work on your Cardio... weight alone is not necessarily that significant... some of that is hereditary.

I know some chubby guys who can out-work a race-horse, and skinny guys who can't walk up a flight of stairs.

Especially as you get older, light, but every-day exercise is much better than killing yourself in a gym twice a week... even 20-30 minutes gets your metabolism going, and burns calories all day.

Biking is great exercise, but difficult to fit into a normal routine, actually, a brisk walk works... IMHO running is too hard on joints (I'm an ex-runner).

If you can find an hour every other day to go to the gym, weight-lifting is also good, but again, slow, controlled multiple reps at a lighter weight is better... it still builds muscle, but does not stress your connective tissues as much. Muscle mass also burns calories too.

Stretching is also important. It reduces stress on your joints, builds muscle tone, and is something you can do while your watching TV or even reading.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I have 8% body fat too... but they told me that most of it is in my head.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
8% wow. Now i feel out of shape. Being a desk jockey who flies very frequently has not helped.
Well...I have always exercised, my entire adult life. I used to lift weights more in my first career when physical strength, stamina, and extreme agility were survival tools. Being a muscle-bound lump was not.

Now, as others have indicated, cardio is key, as is resistance over long periods of time, some weights, some isometrics, and a few other things as well.

Am happy to offer guidance in these areas off-line...

I do think physical conditioning does delay the aging process, too! <grin>
True...but it hasn't helped my hairline at all, unfortunately

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-13-2014 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

I think the band measures arm movement to count for steps. So all of the steering inputs make the band think you're walking. You can try it out by sitting on the couch and moving your arm up and down.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:37 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ha! A subject near and dear to my heart! Not for the right reasons, either.

Obese and less fit drivers may (and some do) function at a very high level, but for a very short time.

Cardio and core strength allow better endurance and the ability to hold your body up. Instead of steadying your upper body by your grasp of the wheel, causing tight shoulders, tight neck and huge fatigue, you can relax more easily and "feel" what the car is doing with your fingers, as well as maintain your head upright for better visual gauging.

Most of all, better aerobic and strength fitness will allow your mind to be more relaxed and less distracted by the shifts and forces acting on your body mass. You can drive better and with less mistakes, longer.

I'm in the middle of the newest Haynes Publishing release "Motorsport Fitness Manual" and it is incredible.

I'm fat. Morbidly obese. I'm not proud of it and it has gotten in my way of enjoying my racing so much that I have decided to work on me this year.

I can still do high :52's at Lime Rock, high :21's to mid :22's at Thunderbolt and 2:01's at VIR in a thirty year old, 150 bhp sports racer with 6" wide front, 8" wide rear slicks weighing nearly 1370 lbs with me in it.

But I can only do a few laps... That sucks. But I can fix it.

Peter,
I'm in a similar situation - vis a vis the weight, not, unfortunately, the stellar lap times. I got a FitBit for Christmas as well but didn't go online to set it up until two weeks ago. I could spend a couple grand on my car to gain a second a lap or start losing the 50 - 70 lbs of excess body mass I've been lugging around and not just pick up that second but be able to do track events for years longer than if I don't.

I've gotten a lot of great advice from reading your posts and from our telephone conversation of a few weeks ago about setting up Race Studio and you critiquing the data from one of my laps at Sebring but your post from earlier today may turn out to be the most beneficial for me in the long run.

I just placed an order for Haynes fitness manual you referenced and intend to use to enhance the fitness program I started on 2/1. It won't be easy. I Thank you for the inspiration to get after it and wish you the best with your program!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Peter,
I'm in a similar situation - vis a vis the weight, not, unfortunately, the stellar lap times. I got a FitBit for Christmas as well but didn't go online to set it up until two weeks ago. I could spend a couple grand on my car to gain a second a lap or start losing the 50 - 70 lbs of excess body mass I've been lugging around and not just pick up that second but be able to do track events for years longer than if I don't.

I've gotten a lot of great advice from reading your posts and from our telephone conversation of a few weeks ago about setting up Race Studio and you critiquing the data from one of my laps at Sebring but your post from earlier today may turn out to be the most beneficial for me in the long run.

I just placed an order for Haynes fitness manual you referenced and intend to use to enhance the fitness program I started on 2/1. It won't be easy. I Thank you for the inspiration to get after it and wish you the best with your program!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

"The second day featured 5 thirty minute lapping sessions. My walking didn't amount to much, however, somehow or another what I was doing in the race car registered as steps to the tune of over 16k steps that day. During normal city driving, no steps are registeredn this device."

I have the FitBit Force….when I drive around on an ATV, or when I am at the track, the Force registers well over 10,000 steps…I think the multi angle accelerometers are "fooled" by vibration.

Quick Reply: An interesting correlation between racing and physical exertion