Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Sebring Club Race (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/798009-sebring-club-race.html)

93 FireHawk 968 01-30-2014 08:47 PM

Sebring Club Race

Forecast looks awesome for this weekends PCA CR. Should be an awesome weekend for racing...... so jealous.

Clark-ApexPerformance 01-30-2014 10:05 PM

All of us that are here hope the weekend is better than today.....high was something like
50 with constant drizzle...... Very Cold day for Sebring.

ProCoach 01-30-2014 10:07 PM

Didn't see anything on Race Monitor for the Check sessions tonight?

John H 01-31-2014 10:07 AM

rain, puddles, cold. not good. Hotel bed - nap. good.

Eifeler 01-31-2014 12:57 PM

Puddling is no good but racing in the wet is great for us little guys. Lets us play with the big boys in class:

jenk12m 01-31-2014 02:11 PM

Nothing but rain thus far

jakermc 01-31-2014 02:14 PM

Sebring has very good grip in the wet relative to other tracks I've driven in the same conditions. Throw on the wets and let 'er rip ....

Eifeler 01-31-2014 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by jakermc (Post 11095258)
Sebring has very good grip in the wet relative to other tracks I've driven in the same conditions. Throw on the wets and let 'er rip ....

Agreed. Unless it's actively raining slicks are fairly predictable. No nasty transitions like what was just done to T1 at Rd Atl.

jakermc 01-31-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eifeler (Post 11095392)
Agreed. Unless it's actively raining slicks are fairly predictable. No nasty transitions like what was just done to T1 at Rd Atl.

I have a video that looks a lot like the one you posted. Rainy start to an HSR event this past December, but dry enough for slicks. Passed 3 cars before the exit of T1, 2 more during the first lap, then 2 more on lap 2. As you said, the track is predictable if you have the confidence to find the grip. Lots of drivers simply hold back too much in these conditions.

I was also impressed by the track's grip during 6 hour enduro we ran in the rain at Winterfest this year. Full wets the whole time but still very manageable. I had never had much confidence in my rain driving but now have a new outlook, at least at Sebring.

Eifeler 01-31-2014 03:48 PM

Jakermc - Were you the one that posted about running the Hoo H2O's? I had a set of those for Rd Atl last year but they were a tad to big so didn't get to try them out. They looked awesome. If that was you running them, can you tell how much they wore down in 6hrs?

jakermc 01-31-2014 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eifeler (Post 11095512)
Jakermc - Were you the one that posted about running the Hoo H2O's? I had a set of those for Rd Atl last year but they were a tad to big so didn't get to try them out. They looked awesome. If that was you running them, can you tell how much they wore down in 6hrs?

It was. I'd say they were good for about 5 hours, the last hour the rears got pretty hairy. Visually they looked very good still, lots of tread and no chunking of any kind, but they just gave up and wanted to go home over the last part of the race. We still put down decent times on them but you had to carefully manage the oversteer and work a lot harder as a driver.

The conditions never allowed for the tires to get hot at all so YMMV if the conditions are drier. BTW, interestingly we ran the whole race with the tires mounted backwards (tread facing the wrong way). The crew made a last minute tire change before the start and screwed up. Did not seem to matter, unless grip would have been even better the other way, which would be impressive!!

Eifeler 01-31-2014 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by jakermc (Post 11095761)
It was. I'd say they were good for about 5 hours, the last hour the rears got pretty hairy. Visually they looked very good still, lots of tread and no chunking of any kind, but they just gave up and wanted to go home over the last part of the race. We still put down decent times on them but you had to carefully manage the oversteer and work a lot harder as a driver.

The conditions never allowed for the tires to get hot at all so YMMV if the conditions are drier. BTW, interestingly we ran the whole race with the tires mounted backwards (tread facing the wrong way). The crew made a last minute tire change before the start and screwed up. Did not seem to matter, unless grip would have been even better the other way, which would be impressive!!

Thanks for the feedback. Will have to ask Hoosier why they would give up if the car/conditions didn't change and the tire was still in good shape.

Maybe they're faster backwards. Kind of like in F1 when a front splitter gets busted and the car remains just as fast. :)

85Gold 01-31-2014 06:23 PM

Sebring in the wet with light rain is OK BUT IF IT RAINS like FL is famous for you get a lake between 11 & 12 and a frogging river flows across turn 17 :thumbup:

Peter

mkd944 01-31-2014 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 85Gold (Post 11095904)
Sebring in the wet with light rain is OK BUT IF IT RAINS like FL is famous for you get a lake between 11 & 12 and a frogging river flows across turn 17 :thumbup:

Peter

You will also get a small lake in the apex of T13 in heavy rain and you need to be careful on the painted checkered flag at start-finish. The wet weather was supposed to leave us yesterday but just keeps hanging around.

Best wishes for all who are racing.

Mike

mdrums 01-31-2014 11:39 PM

Good weather coming this weekend...have everyone