Best Clubs for DE at WGI ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Got HP
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best Clubs for DE at WGI ?

Hi all,
Just wondering if I could get some advice for DE options at the Glen. Already signed up for two with Niagara PCA and Trackmasters since locals recommended them. There are quite a few others that have DE like Chin, SCDA, COM SCC, and other PCA clubs. Any that stand out one way or another?
Thanks guys!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Chin, scda, Metro NY region, Hudson Champlain region , hudson valley region. ESR FCA.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

SCDA, NE\NCR region PCA
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Jas0nn
Pro

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts

OPP, YEAUKNME, DMC, NWA
Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are many good options. The choice should depend on what your priorities and interests are. Some considerations are: 1.) Quality and availability of instruction 2.) amount of track time offered 3.) single marque or mixed marque event 4.) general level and speed of drivers/cars at each event 5.) size of the run groups. These things vary from group to group.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 260 Posts

Can't go wrong with the two you chose--eight 2-3 day events combined for this year makes for lots of track time.

Gary
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Since I'm the Hudson Champlain chief instructor, I'll promote our Cups and Saucers event May 7th and 8th.

Only open to advanced drivers (White/intermediate group and higher), we do a two-run-group format, alternating every half hour. We also have pro-coaches available for an additional fee.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It all depends on the level of driving you are looking for......

Are you looking for great instructors to teach you basics, or are you solo and looking for tons of track time?

Do you like events with tons of cars on track (i.e. trains) or those more exclusive with less cars (thus more open track) to enjoy running with your buddies?

The Glen is an awesome track, you just got to know what you most want to get out of it......
Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Since I'm the Hudson Champlain chief instructor, I'll promote our Cups and Saucers event May 7th and 8th.

Only open to advanced drivers (White/intermediate group and higher), we do a two-run-group format, alternating every half hour. We also have pro-coaches available for an additional fee.
I'm there Van, as per usual the "must" event before the WGI club race...... where do I sign up?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Got HP
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all. This will be helpful!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:57 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Van

+1 on the HCP event - by far the best I've been too - tons and tons and tons of track time.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I am the NNJR PCA DE Chair, I would recommend our August 1-3 event (all run groups) and our September 15-16 event (Instructors and Upper run groups only and (7) 30 minute sessions per day) events.

David Murry will be available for hire (in car coaching) at the Instructor/Advanced event.

Our August event is our Marquee event which also includes a big beer/BBQ (Dinosaur BBQ) bash on Saturday evening.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Glen, unlike many tracks, embraces car clubs and quite literally PACKS its schedule with events. In late August, I did 11 consecutive days with various track groups...and while the track remained the same...each group had a different way of running things.

This is a bit off-topic, but it seems as good a time as any to mention a few valuable Glen lessons I learned this year.

1- Gas - There are no shortage of gas stations in the village. But last year Tops Market (a big grocery chain) opened a nice set of 24-hour pumps down the hill from the Glen. They have 93 octane. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of their free discount cards. It gives you money back on food and gas purchases. Over an 11-day period, I bought nearly $900 worth of gas at Tops and got back $40...enough for an extra 10-gallons of high-test.

2- Walmart - There's a modern super store in town near the lake, and while I'm not a big Walmart fan, my car battery went belly up on Labor Day, and Walmart was not only the only store open that day, but its auto department had a terrific selection of car batteries at great prices. I was in and out in 10 minutes. By the way, they also have Hoosier tires at that particular Walmart.

3- Tires - In anticipation of the extended track days, I had an extra set of tires shipped ahead to Parmenter Tires...which is the closest tire shop to the track. The guys there were pleasant and helpful, but be forewarned, their expertise generally does not extend to race tires and wheels, their equipment (mounting and balance) is old and beat, they take an hour off for lunch from 12-1, they move at their own pace, and they ain't cheap. I got whacked for $138 for mounting and balancing four wheels...and the balance job sucked.

Just sayin.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Little disappointed no one mentions Niagara Region is the best no reason to try any others, but that's OK...... hahahahah, we run two styles of events, full DE and Advanced Only. Reasonable pricing and fantastic folks to drive with.

And of course I'm the Registrar..... Chris, let me know if i can answer any question for you.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
1- Gas - There are no shortage of gas stations in the village. But last year Tops Market (a big grocery chain) opened a nice set of 24-hour pumps down the hill from the Glen. They have 93 octane. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of their free discount cards. It gives you money back on food and gas purchases. Over an 11-day period, I bought nearly $900 worth of gas at Tops and got back $40...enough for an extra 10-gallons of high-test.

2- Walmart - By the way, they also have Hoosier tires at that particular Walmart.
Thanks for the tip re the gas; in my years at The Glen I never thought of buying gas there and certainly never thought of the card. Easier to maneuver the rig there as well.
Hoosiers at Walmart??? Now I've heard everything!

Quick Reply: Best Clubs for DE at WGI ?