Sponsored by:

Racing Sim for Cup Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Racing Sim for Cup Drivers

I need Your input. I am going to add a simulator to the Lounge and want one that all the drivers can use to practice with. Ideally it would include tracks in the USA that Cup drivers frequent both for practice and racing, pro and amatuer...

Thoughts and input please?
XBOX, IRACING , chassis , pedals, wheel, number of moniters,update capability etc...would help greatly.

Thank You and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Our buddy, Sam M. has a VirtualGT setup at his house - http://www.virtual-gt.com/ It is AWESOME! Probably more than you would care to spend, correct? B)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Toby is right on the money. Unless you're a tinkerer and want to mess with the sim as much as you use it, try a virtual GT set up with the specific car (with the same ratios, diff, brakes) and the specific tracks you're going to run. Have them set up a series of easy, intermediate and hard assists by rotary switch or push buttons to help as you progress your skills. Using rFactor is best suited for what you're looking for.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are always welcome to try one of ours as well
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, do you have any of your sims installed in the DFW area?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

We do, but they are all in private hands in customer's homes. Most of our clients end up be pretty private. I'd feel a bit weird asking them if a stranger can try out their sim!

We do have a showroom at the factory in Los Angeles (right nest to the airport) if you ever find yourself in the area.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Toby is right on the money. Unless you're a tinkerer and want to mess with the sim as much as you use it, try a virtual GT set up with the specific car (with the same ratios, diff, brakes) and the specific tracks you're going to run. Have them set up a series of easy, intermediate and hard assists by rotary switch or push buttons to help as you progress your skills. Using rFactor is best suited for what you're looking for.
I drove my buddy's VirtualGT several months ago. Ran an F355 Challenge car on the 1.7 Motorsport Ranch track (CCW). It was amazing. In addition to full motion, he has the 3-screen setup and some LOUD sound setup. I managed to run several laps on the Sim without going off too many times. I kept over-driving one corner (Little Bend) because I had no linear motion sensation (fore and aft movement)..... Thus, I kept missing my braking point on entry and usually went in too hot.

All that said, it was pretty amazing. Need to get Sam to program in a 996 Cup and try that out for size.

Glen - we need to go see Sam!

TBP
Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CXC Simulations
We do, but they are all in private hands in customer's homes. Most of our clients end up be pretty private. I'd feel a bit weird asking them if a stranger can try out their sim!

We do have a showroom at the factory in Los Angeles (right nest to the airport) if you ever find yourself in the area.
Absolutely understand. If I ever get out to LAX, I'll yell beforehand.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:39 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Absolutely understand. If I ever get out to LAX, I'll yell beforehand.
Please do!

That goes for anyone here. Even if you aren't interested in a simulator. We just enjoy geeking out with fellow car guys!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok great, these look great! CXC is amazing however outside my budget thought but not out of the question.

Toby, lets talk about Sams setup when You can.

Peter, I am familiar with Rfactor and enjoyed it. What setup would You recommend with that in mind. I will be ready to put in the setup in the next 3 months so Id'd like to get a final decision made by March.

Thank You all for Your input!
Blessings to each of You and those You Love in the New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Glen
Peter, I am familiar with Rfactor and enjoyed it. What setup would you recommend with that in mind.
Glen, a couple things.

It's not hard to put together the "kit list" of components that will work best to train and allow Cup drivers to practice virtually. It IS harder to configure everything to work together so it all "just works" without fiddling with it. That is one of the reasons why Virtual GT and CXC are such a good idea and why they command elevated pricing over the individual components and the labor to put them together.

That said, Cup drivers need AT LEAST two sim control components to replicate, as closely as possible, the real McCoy in order to "practice perfect."

The first is a SERIOUS sequential shifter. I like this one: http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/pr...ial---std.html

The second is a HARD and proper-feeling brake pedal. I'm talking a HUNDRED pounds PLUS of pedal pressure to actuate the "virtual" ABS. There are a few choices, depending on the pedal set. The first are "mods" for existing sets, the second are purpose-built, high-dollar replicas of what is in the actual cars. Your choice.

If you have a Logitech G27 wheel/pedal set, I LOVE this: http://www.perfectpedal.com/

For purpose-built pedal sets, I used to use Todd Cannon's stuff, but he's flaked out. I now use: http://us.fanatec.com/index.php?rout...product_id=255

And I will be ordering these, probably the best extant: http://www.h-engineering.net/products/hardware/

More later...
Old 01-01-2014, 01:43 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Peter is right on the spot.

If we are above budget, what is your budget? I can probably help you find everything you need, but I need to know what you want to spend in total. That way, I can just recommend the best hardware for a given budget level.

BTW, I think iRacing and rFactor are the route I would go. rFactor has the wide content, but iRacing has the best physics and racing. Plus they have an amazing Porsche right now!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CXC Simulations
BTW, I think iRacing and rFactor are the route I would go. rFactor has the wide content, but iRacing has the best physics and racing. Plus they have an amazing Porsche right now!
Oops! YES, iRacing now has a 997 Cup (or something similarly endowed, LOL!), I forgot and I've even tested it!

It used to be that rFactor was the only platform that had a reasonable Carrera Cup car, born from the days before Porsche really clamped down. If you wanted an RSR, the best way was through GTR2, a SimBin creation.

Chris and I are thinking the same thing. iRacing has MOST of the tracks you're looking for, but rFactor has ALL the tracks you're looking for. Both platforms have Cup cars that drive, well, like Cup cars...

What I really like is that you can do MoTeC .ld file export from both. And THEN, compare the synthetically generated files to your real ones, allowing you to help the guy on the sim to focus on the areas that (ahem) "require the most improvement."
Old 01-01-2014, 02:29 PM
jasonhartracing.com
Advanced

Glen and Toby, you are welcome to come check out my iRacing setup. Peter and I have very similar feelings about sims and their components. Let me know, J

Quick Reply: Racing Sim for Cup Drivers