Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
sigh
Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Very sad news. Praying for a full recovery.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Prayers to Schumi and his family for a safe & speed recovery.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Doesn't sound promising, sure hope he makes it.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sc...ight-for-life/
Old 12-30-2013, 01:13 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/201...ss-conference/

Last edited by consolidated; 12-30-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: thanks winders
Old 12-30-2013, 01:24 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/201...ss-conference/

Fixed....
Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Haven't felt this bad since I heard about Senna...I hope to God the result is not the same.

With prayers,
Gary
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Haven't felt this bad since I heard about Senna...I hope to God the result is not the same.
+1 I've been on pins and needles since VR started this thread.

Niki Lauda, the former Formula One world champion, has told of his "disbelief " over Schumacher's accident.

The former Ferrari great who won three world titles, told the Guardian: "I find it completely shocking and unexplainable why this great driver, who won seven championships in over 300 races and stayed alive, could have something like this happen to him. It's tragic.

"He was the greatest driver of them all, with seven titles."
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skynews reported earlier that the Doctors will be giving a press release tomorrow at 12pm (french time), situation is more Dire than first stated ...

Not good ...
Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Prayers for a quick and full recovery.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

tonight they showed where he was skiing…..just off trail, probably just below knee deep powder. skiing with his son. quite a few large rocks sticking out of snow, pretty likely some snow grenades hiding underneath. he was conscious, but limbs were moving some involuntarily. prayers for he and his family.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/vid...accident-video
Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This article was written by David Coultard:

I only hope Michael Schumacher pulls through so that he can see all the nice things people are saying about him

With hindsight I know now that I was never on the seven-time world champion's level but he gave my career as a Formula One driver credibility

David Coulthard hopes Michael Schumacher will pull through after his horrific skiing accident to find out what nice things people are saying about him

Friend and foe: Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard shared an underlying respect

The outpouring of concern for Michael Schumacher’s wellbeing over the past 36 hours, not only from the world of Formula One but from the wider sporting, and indeed non-sporting, community has been wonderful to see. In my opinion it constitutes long-overdue recognition of Michael’s status as a true sporting great. I only hope and pray that he pulls through to see what nice things people have been saying about him.

The truth is I do not believe that Michael has ever truly received the praise or recognition that his stunning achievements merited. And I say that now with the benefit of hindsight.

For years Michael was the perfect pantomime villain, particularly in this country; German, of course, ruthlessly efficient, ultra-aggressive. Whereas previous greats such as Sir Jackie Stewart or Juan Manuel Fangio left the door open to their rivals when racing, for fear of making what could easily have been fatal contact, Michael went all out in his pursuit of victory.

Sometimes he overstepped the mark – Jerez in 1997 and Rascasse in 2006 spring to mind – and those indiscretions made him unpalatable to the sporting purist. He was marked down by some, including me, as a tainted champion. But you cannot argue with his achievements.

At the end of the day he had the same rules and the same race marshals as the rest of us. And he destroyed us.

He could be infuriating. I had numerous run-ins with Michael, most famously at Spa in 1998 after we collided on a wet track and he stormed over to the McLaren garage and accused me of trying to kill him. I asked him later, in exasperation, whether he had ever been wrong about anything at any point in his life. “Not that I can remember,” he replied. To me that summed him up.

He had complete and utter self-belief. It was what made him a champion.

And what a champion: 91 grand prix victories and seven drivers’ world titles. I can say now, and again it is with the benefit of hindsight, that I was never on his level. You cannot admit that, even to yourself, during your career because you need to have self-belief but I have no trouble admitting it now.

Michael was the reference point for me. I can see that now. If I beat him to a win or a podium, I knew I had done a very good job. He gave my career credibility.

As I said, we did not always see eye to eye but there were two sides to Michael.

He was a ruthless competitor but at the same time he was a family man; generous, kind. If you were part of his trusted circle then he was loyal. If you were not, he could cut you off completely.

I never knew exactly which camp I belonged to but our shared relationship with Mercedes-Benz meant that we were thrown together regularly.

I can vividly recall being invited to Michael’s private parties after the German Grand Prix and staying up smoking cigars with him, late at night after a few drinks, talking about just how lucky we were to be doing what we loved.

There was always that underlying respect. When Michael retired at the end of 2006 he approached me and suggested we swap helmets. It had never even occurred to me to ask him. Why would he have wanted my helmet? But he knew that I collected them and I was honoured that he offered me his. It remains one of my prized possessions and I know he keeps mine at his home in Switzerland.

I think Michael might have got more credit before now had he not burnt his bridges so completely with the British media, to whom he was completely closed, at least during his first career. I think Sebastian Vettel may have learnt from that experience.

In any case, Michael’s comeback with Mercedes showed he had a more human side. And in a funny way, it cemented his legacy rather than harmed it.

Watching him struggle to match Sebastian and Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, not always through fault of his own, proved that time waits for no man. It was too easy during his first career to assume that he simply swept all before him.

Those struggles with Mercedes gave us, certainly me, a new-found appreciation for the unbelievable levels of consistency he achieved in his first career.

This skiing crash has connected Michael to the rest of us on a human level once and for all. Here is a father, like any other, his wife and children at his bedside praying for him to pull through. It is something to which we can all relate.

The awful thing is that so often it takes something like this before we say what we truly feel about someone.

I hope that in this instance, with Michael having received such swift medical attention, and given the fact that he continues to receive the very best treatment possible, he is going to emerge victorious once again. And when he does he is going to realise in what esteem he is held.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:25 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

^^ that is good, would you happen to have the link for it so I can share also?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I like Coulthard even more now. Very articulate.

Quick Reply: UH-OH: Schumacher suffers serious head injury