Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come there isn't a race Cayman forum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Wait, what?

See!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
There used to be much more 987 talk here but it Cayman went.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:02 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mhm993
Really. Finds water and wants to leave us!

(edit:umm, no snub meant to Dan or Dave)
Lord no, I'll never leave my Racing and DE friends on Rennlist (not even those that look down at me for not racing).
Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Lord no, I'll never leave my Racing and DE friends on Rennlist (not even those that look down at me for not racing YET).
FIFY
Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There used to be much more 987 talk here but it Cayman went.
You know, 'went' would be a good vanity plate for a Cayman. You should get royalties.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
You know, 'went' would be a good vanity plate for a Cayman. You should get royalties.
That would be a good plate but not as good as MYPANTS.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:36 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jamm
not very active at all. 20 to 30 days between posts. Some good info. Much more active at home on RL
Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That would be a good plate but not as good as MYPANTS.
Scaomt (spewing coffee all over my tablet)!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by stujelly

not very active at all. 20 to 30 days between posts. Some good info. Much more active at home on RL
Hence my question - I need hourly posts, not monthly!
Agreed there is a lot of good content; I have enjoyed working my way through it.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

All,

We started the CaymanSpec Racing Forum on Planet-9 to promote what was the first Cayman-specific racing program. Unfortunately it did not take off like we hoped and was essentially beat to market by the 987.2 driven Cayman Interseries launched by Napleton (and now the ITC). Napleton was building fully supported new cars and we were promoting independent builds from donors (that proved too expensive at the time).

Part of the issue was the use of the Cayman trademark. While we do own a copyright on the CaymanSpec rule set, Porsche asked that we not use the Cayman brand to promote the class nationally. Napleton, as a Porsche dealer, had permission to use the Cayman brand.

However, the very nice Porsche lawyer (sincerely) allowed us to transfer the use of the CaymanSpec Racing brand to the Porsche Owners Club, which as one of two official Porsche clubs in the US allowed to use the Cayman brand. Unfortunately, the Porsche Owners Club (POC) is really a regional club based in SoCal.

There were conversations about making the CaymanSpec 987.1 rules into to sort of a P2 class for Napleton, but this never closed. This was about the time that NASA launched the ITC for P1 & P2 Caymans built to another spec.

It may be time that we move it to a more mainstream, racing oriented location. However, given the brand licensing challenge it may well be that we need to move it to the POC forum.

Cheers,
Old 12-21-2013, 04:01 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Krokodil
All,

We started the CaymanSpec Racing Forum on Planet-9 to promote what was the first Cayman-specific racing program. Unfortunately it did not take off like we hoped and was essentially beat to market by the 987.2 driven Cayman Interseries launched by Napleton (and now the ITC). Napleton was building fully supported new cars and we were promoting independent builds from donors (that proved too expensive at the time).

Part of the issue was the use of the Cayman trademark. While we do own a copyright on the CaymanSpec rule set, Porsche asked that we not use the Cayman brand to promote the class nationally. Napleton, as a Porsche dealer, had permission to use the Cayman brand.

However, the very nice Porsche lawyer (sincerely) allowed us to transfer the use of the CaymanSpec Racing brand to the Porsche Owners Club, which as one of two official Porsche clubs in the US allowed to use the Cayman brand. Unfortunately, the Porsche Owners Club (POC) is really a regional club based in SoCal.

There were conversations about making the CaymanSpec 987.1 rules into to sort of a P2 class for Napleton, but this never closed. This was about the time that NASA launched the ITC for P1 & P2 Caymans built to another spec.

It may be time that we move it to a more mainstream, racing oriented location. However, given the brand licensing challenge it may well be that we need to move it to the POC forum.

Cheers,
Frustrating; hats off to you for the effort!

Quick Reply: How come there isn't a race Cayman forum?