Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:21 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Default "Alonso gave up". McLaren still trying to poach FA

Alonso gave up, argues Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone reckons Fernando Alonso "gave up a little bit" as the 2013 Formula 1 season developed, amid reports that the Ferrari driver was looking to join another team.

Having been dressed down by brand President Luca di Montezemolo after making negative comments about the team's performance level at the halfway mark of the season, Alonso was heavily linked to rival outfits McLaren and Red Bull.

And with the Spaniard ending the season 155 points in arrears of World Champion Sebastian Vettel, dropping the equivalent of more than five race victories over the final nine events, Ecclestone feels that his efforts dwindled.

"I've been a little disappointed in Fernando, because I'm a big supporter of him and Ferrari," wrote Ecclestone in a foreword to the official 2013 Formula 1 season review.

"I thought he gave up a little bit, which is proof he was looking for another team."

He added: "I don't know whether the team is not competitive because of him or because the people running the team aren't getting the job done.

"He certainly deserves a car that's capable of winning races. Whether that Ferrari is or not, I don't know."

Alonso has finished runner-up to Sebastian Vettel during three of his four seasons with Ferrari.

AND IN OTHER NEWS

Whitmarsh steps up bid to bring Alonso back to McLaren?
03 December 2013

New report links McLaren and Fernando Alonso

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh flew to Madrid this week in what has been described as an 'escalating attempt to sign Fernando Alonso'.

According to reports by British tabloid newspaper, The Daily Mail, in an article headlined: 'McLaren fly out to meet Alonso as pursuit of Ferrari driver hots up', "so seriously is Whitmarsh taking his pursuit of the Ferrari driver that he even missed the prestigious Autosport Awards dinner in London on Sunday night to make the flight to Spain the following morning".

Whitmarsh was in Madrid to attend the opening of the 'Alonso Collection', an exhibition dedicated to the two-time F1 world champion.

A spokesperson for McLaren told the 'paper that he was there along with 'team principals of the four teams for which Fernando has driven in F1'.

"But it is understood that Whitmarsh - who, in fact, was not Alonso's team principal during his one, strife-torn year at McLaren - is keen to develop a channel of communication to Alonso with an eye on bringing in the Spaniard for the 2015 season," adds the report.

Speaking back in late September, Whitmarsh made no secret of his admiration for Alonso and the desirability of the 32-year-old.

“Let's be frank, people want to sign Fernando Alonso because he is one of the best motor racing drivers in the world at the moment,” Whitmarsh told Sky Sports News. “He is an asset to any team.”
Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2014 season can't start soon enough.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
The 2014 season can't start soon enough.
Except that the new cars sound like third-rate farts...
Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Except that the new cars sound like third-rate farts...
+ 1.6
Old 12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
..."so seriously is Whitmarsh taking his pursuit of the Ferrari driver that he even missed the prestigious Autosport Awards dinner in London on Sunday night to make the flight to Spain the following morning"...
What the article doesn't mention is the fact that it wasn't just any Autosport Awards dinner but in this one McLaren received a special for their 50 years (Neale accepted it instead of Whitmarsh).

And hey, let's restrict Ecclestone's commenting on Alonso only, he also commented Kimi's season...

“This year I suppose I have to call Kimi the star driver, with the equipment he has,” said Ecclestone of the Finn who left Lotus after complaining he had not received his wages. “I think he was motivated on hope that he was going to get paid.

“He’s a good guy to have in a team, good for us, good for the team. He’s super, he’s a racer.”
Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Finn, my point is that the Alonso ball washers are always blaming everything except Alonso for his perpetual 2nd place trophy. Here, Bernie, a guy who likes both Alonso and Ferrari is saying he gave up trying.

Let's not overlook the fact that it was Alonso who was trying to jump ship even though his contract still runs for multiple years at F. If you're signed to a multiple year contract and things aren't going well, the thing to do is .... I don't know..... work harder, smarter to try and beat your opposition. Alonso simply tried to jump to the team that's been on top. He's slim through and through.

Here's another for the apologists: Why didn't Alonso tell McLaren and Whitmarsh that he had no interest in their overatures because his contract runs through 2017 or 2018. Answer: Because he has no intentions of fulfilling the entire contract. Alonso is not to be trusted hence the dressing down by Montezemolo and a departure of the clear #1 and #2 at Ferrari and the hiring of Kimi.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Just f'ing amazing. Glad to see the haters come out. So what is he supposed to do. Yr after yr, Ferrari has failed to develop a car. Every yr, they either start out on the wrong foot, blow up on strategy or plain out right not be able to keep up with the competition.

What would you do when you are after championships. You try it long enough and if it doesn't work, you move. Isn't this would senna did when he left Mclaren for Williams. Do you criticize senna for wanting to do the same? This is no different. Everyone wants a competitive ride. Who is to say Ferrari does not have plans to replace Alonso. Should he just wait for the axe to drop?
Old 12-03-2013, 08:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Just f'ing amazing. Glad to see the haters come out. So what is he supposed to do. Yr after yr, Ferrari has failed to develop a car. Every yr, they either start out on the wrong foot, blow up on strategy or plain out right not be able to keep up with the competition.

What would you do when you are after championships. You try it long enough and if it doesn't work, you move. Isn't this would senna did when he left Mclaren for Williams. Do you criticize senna for wanting to do the same? This is no different. Everyone wants a competitive ride. Who is to say Ferrari does not have plans to replace Alonso. Should he just wait for the axe to drop?
Reread what you just wrote. If there was ever an Alonso apologist you are the poster child!!! If you sign a contract, you honor that contract. Is it too much to ask that you WORK as part of the team to win a championship? Should the Devine One's only obligation to the team be to show up on Friday through Sunday and drive or should it be to be the team leader and WORK to make the entire package better?

You want a championship... then WORK to get there. Nothing in life is guaranteed, but it looks like FA should be the only one to be anointed the championship in the best car!

And as far as the axe to drop, isn't it ironic that Ferrari paid their last champion to not drive so that the Devine One could come in and NOT deliver. Ferrari is on the hook for the next few years for his contract as the highest paid F1 driver on the grid, not only do they expect his full effort, but the loyalty to the team that is making him a multi millionaire many times over, not trying back door deals to try and go to a different team. Un****ing believable that the Alonso camp think he's entitled to a championship!!!

Look up some guy called Michael Schumacher on how you build a team around you to reach a common goal. Trust me, if he did that, the rising tide lifts all ships. Alonso has no clue how to be part of a team.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wait a minute...

Wasn't Alonso supposed to be THE BEST at developing a car (when he signed with Ferrari) ?

Isn't Ferrari THE BEST team in F1, the ONE that EVERY driver dreams of driving for?

Isn't Ferrari the ONLY team in F1 with VETO power (gifted to them by FOM..,Bernie...and agreed to by the FIA)

Isn't Ferrari THE team hand selected by Alonso as HIS choice to drive for?
(This is of course in the wake of Crashgate, Spygate...both of which he was completely uninvolved in)

Bravo Luca. Nice to see you grew a set and called the Diva out.
Ferrari existed before Alonso arrived (AND FAILED to deliver a single championship) and will be there long after Alonso is quickly forgotten in Maranello.
Also, nice comment that Ferrari LOVES Kimi...

Every village has an idiot
Every class has a clown
Nice to know this forum has at least one ... And IB gets a tax credit for allowing developmentally challenged Alonso Athletic Supporters a chance to type and drool on their waterproof keyboards.

Damn....and I had to go and pick Alonso to win the 2013 WDC.
If only I had a brain and picked Vettel...I mean, who could have seen RBR and Vettel being the Dark Horses in 2013.

Not to worry, Ferrari s building an entire new F1 complex at Maranello.
Given their wind tunnel expertise, I am sure their building skills are just as refined.

I wonder if Luca will ask Alonso to cut the ribbon at the Opening Ceremonies.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lewis, Ferrari might be the favored child, veto power yada yada, but they got screwed this year. First with the decision to go back to the 2012 tire compound. Ferrari and Force India were very strong early in the year with that compound and Red Bull is on record as saying that the decision helped them to pull away from the other teams after the switch.

The second was the private test Mercedes got from Pirelli with no reprimand except that they could not participate in the make up test to everyone else, BUT they were allowed to see the data from each teams test!?!!?! What is that???

I'm not saying Ferrari would have won a title this year, but it's not a coincidence that both Ferrari and Force India struggled mightily after that.

The point of this thread is not rule/tire decisions, but one of team loyalty. Is it too much to ask to work for your pay when special provisions were made to bring you into the team and then to pay you more than anyone else in F1? Why the disloyalty and back stabbing to go somewhere else before your contract is over. Didn't you just sign an extension last year??? No one "blackmailed" you to sign it.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love Alonso, but I can see why the Ferrari brass or any employer for that matter may not take kindly to what he continues to do, referring to his year at McClaren.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Honor the contract, really? Is this what Ferrari did to Kimi last time? Sue paired he would even consider going back. This is a business and everyone is looking for their best interest. There is no right or wrong. Ferrari will be there after Alonso's career is over but his career has limited time span and he wants to be a in a competitive team. How can one fault that is beyond me.

Didn't Ferrari not even give Schumi an option to stay when they signed Kimi. How many championships did he win for them? Where was the right thing then?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pete,
Alonso is a douchebag (of Mount Rushmore proportions) and is trying desperately to outrun Father Time, his past and karma.
And the results are obvious...see past 4 years.

Alonso Supporters are morons. Darwin wouldn't even attempt to classify nor explain their existence.

But don't worry, morons have no memory, so there is always "next year".
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Here comes the village idiot, rambling as usual. Please go on me little thinking comprehension..
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Honor the contract, really? Is this what Ferrari did to Kimi last time? Sue paired he would even consider going back. This is a business and everyone is looking for their best interest. There is no right or wrong. Ferrari will be there after Alonso's career is over but his career has limited time span and he wants to be a in a competitive team. How can one fault that is beyond me.

Didn't Ferrari not even give Schumi an option to stay when they signed Kimi. How many championships did he win for them? Where was the right thing then?
Raj, Alonso is in a competitive team, just not the top team. They are not far away as Alonso has had two legitimate chances at a title in the past 4 years. My point is that a team leader should be working within the team to bring them up to the top step not try to look for a way out. They are not that far off.

With bringing in Kimi, Montezemolo has indicated he cannot trust Alonso and is looking for an insurance policy for a #1 should Alonso leave. I don't know how Kimi is going to look after his back surgery recovery, but that is something Luca could not have forseen. Everyone in the garage is now questioning Alonso's motivation and intentions.... something they never had to do with their #1 drivers in the past. And let's be frank, Ferrari hasn't done anything but give Alonso everything he has asked for prior to his shopping his services around. Total backing and a weak #2 teammate.

Quick Reply: "Alonso gave up". McLaren still trying to poach FA