Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

enclosed trailer interior lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:36 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default enclosed trailer interior lighting?

What all are you using for lighting? I was thinking of putting in a few led strips powered off of my winch battery, but was wondering what others are using? I'm attempting to use the trailer as a reasonably comfortable living space once the car is rolled out.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:07 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

get a generator and run 4 ft fluorescent lights. Sealed lenses.

Lowes or home depot have them
Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I am running a 12 volt and a 110 volt system. I have 4 x 12 v running down the center for loading and unloading in the dark. For the 110 volt system I, like Stu, am using 4 x florescent lights along the trailer and 1 x fluorescent under the cabinets. Please note that some people are running LEDs instead of the fluorescent. I also have 2 x 500 watt quatrz lights on the exterior. The 110 v will run off either generator or land line power.

Be careful on the on the breaker panel. You will probably want at least 30 amp, I have a 50 amp. The draw back on the 50 amp is that I require the generator to run some of my lighting.

My trailer is also equiped with AC if you are looking for creature comforts. You may want to do a double battery set up.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rlm328 has the right idea: 12V running LEDs for anytime lighting and 110V running fluorescents (or LEDs) for bright lighting when connected to a generator or shore power. Use a deep cycle battery for the 12V system and ideally it should recharge off the tow vehicle when connected to the trailer.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:15 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to add some 110v fluorescents in mine. I did buy a cheap rope light as an experiment, you could hardly tell a difference when it was on, might be good under a cabinet but not in this application. The trailer came with 2 12v lights which are fine when loading/unloading at night.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a generator an fluorescent lights (and AC/Heat and power for my coffee pot, computer and other 120V stuff). If you don't want to go the generator route, I think the LED light strip idea is good but I would add a 12V solar panel to the roof so it can charge your battery during the day too (and keep it charged during storage).
Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a generator, but was hoping to use battery power most of the time, hence the led's .

as far as running on land line power, my breaker box is gutted (used trailer). so when I use the generator, I just run an extension cord from it. I've been looking to see what all I needed to be able to use a generator OR hookup to land power, but it was non obvious what I needed to do that.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hook up to land power. Easiest and cheapest way to go. We had generators in three of my customers trailers over the past few years and never once do we even open the genarator door. Redoing the electrical box is simple.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have 4 built in LED lighting units, run off either 12v or 110. I was skeptical, but the trailer mfg offered me either LED or fluorescent at the same cost. They really pushed the LED as being brighter. I must say you could practically do surgery in my trailer at night. I'm very happy with the LEDs, the small side benefit is they draw less current than the fluorescent
Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

We bought our stuff like this from a boating supplier. They are used to sailboats that have to go along time between charges and so are efficient. Same with their fans. GL
Old 12-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
We bought our stuff like this from a boating supplier. They are used to sailboats that have to go along time between charges and so are efficient. Same with their fans. GL
stuff like? pics or link
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Sorry was referring to the lighting and fans. Used west marine they have a. Wide variety of lights that are energy efficient. I would also look at some of the smart chargers to keep your batteries in good shape.

If you want the exact lights and fans I'll pull the receipts.

Quick Reply: enclosed trailer interior lighting?